R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Track Locator Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-20-2009, 02:08 PM   #91
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 561
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemfrk View Post
very, very nice..... I like the design and the flow

at first I thought I was looking at "something else" on the right half of the track,
LOL! We can name that section "The Toilet Bowl"



- Paulie
pgeldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:58 AM   #92
Tech Master
 
YDBD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Okinawa, Japan
Posts: 1,051
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to YDBD
Default

I like Paulie's sketch, and he's just being clean, I think we need a better name for that and I wouldn't mind flipping over there a few times...

But it's not really a nitro track, cuz I'm running my Caster Buggy on it and I'm sure Ken and Iggy will be running their faster electrix on it...

Not sure about making the meeting yet...will have to check...
__________________
Jon
RC and Beer Brewer
the only way to DUI!
YDBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 05:30 AM   #93
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 561
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDBD View Post
I like Paulie's sketch, and he's just being clean, I think we need a better name for that and I wouldn't mind flipping over there a few times...

But it's not really a nitro track, cuz I'm running my Caster Buggy on it and I'm sure Ken and Iggy will be running their faster electrix on it...

Not sure about making the meeting yet...will have to check...
Yeah, yeah...it IS supposed to be a family orientated place though, so I wouldn't get too racy with a name for that spot, etc.

And to make you happy Jon, just for you, that track is the 1/8th track (Nitro and Electric).

As for the "faster electrix" as you put it...we'll jsut have to wait and see.

Power is nothing without control -



LOL!

- Paulie
pgeldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 06:28 AM   #94
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 561
Default

Guys, I didn't even realize this until today. The design I came up with could actually be many tracks in one!

Just a few examples...check it...

Main Course:



Medium course:



Short Course:




Medium Long Course 1:



Medium Long Course 2:




Throw reverse direction into the mix and even more track options open up for us, creating completely different designs.

This gives us the flexibility to tailor the track to our needs, and we can even close off a section if we need to work on it - fix jumps, change jumps, etc.

Whaddya think?

- Paulie
pgeldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:45 PM   #95
Tech Adept
 
chemfrk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Camp Courtney, Okinawa Japan
Posts: 114
Default

Paulie,

Incredible, great job,

I will print and include these in the LOI if everyone approves.
__________________
Robert
Caster Fusion EX-1
Slash
XTM Mammoth
Tamiya TT-01E
chemfrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:23 AM   #96
Tech Master
 
YDBD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Okinawa, Japan
Posts: 1,051
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to YDBD
Default

This is the probable layout for the upcoming Wiregrass Indoor Nationals...the only thing I don't like is the jumps by the pits...

__________________
Jon
RC and Beer Brewer
the only way to DUI!
YDBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:18 AM   #97
Tech Adept
 
chemfrk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Camp Courtney, Okinawa Japan
Posts: 114
Default

YDBD, All,

I really like the track design especially the double turn/berm.

all of the track designs look great, it will be difficult to settle on a final design for each track.

All,

Please bring all track designs/layouts, suggestions so that we can review them and move towards settling on choices for the LOI.

We will be starting at 6 pm thursday, steaks and the fixins for those interested, just let me know as soon as possible, so I can get the right number of steaks, etc.

Thank you all fro your support, time and envolvement. I will provide the latest version of the LOI and the latest word from the Camp Commander tomorrow night.

Robert
__________________
Robert
Caster Fusion EX-1
Slash
XTM Mammoth
Tamiya TT-01E
chemfrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 04:18 AM   #98
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 561
Default

I like some design elements from that track as well Jon. It doesn't seem to have any fast flowing sections though, which is something to consider for our 1/8th vehicles, since I'm sure folks will want to explore all their speed on without fear of wrecking on a jump or obsticle at every part of the track...


I do like it though, just a thought to consider...



- Paulie
pgeldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 04:33 AM   #99
Tech Adept
 
Murdadock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Yomitan-son, Okinawa
Posts: 221
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to Murdadock
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemfrk View Post
very, very nice..... I like the design and the flow

at first I thought I was looking at "something else" on the right half of the track,

apparently I have been away from home for to long.... I do have a nickname for the track though....
Yes, I agree ChemFreak. If we go with this track design, we might as well stick with P.O.R.N.

Just kidding Paul, I really like it. I think if you incorporated some of the berms from Jon's design, it would make yours even more appealing.
__________________
Jason
Caster EX-1
DB01 Durga, Firestorm Fix (Flux)
Axial Scorpion, TRXS Slash
TA-05 (Sticking w/ Beginner Class BTW)
Murdadock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 04:47 AM   #100
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 561
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murdadock View Post
Yes, I agree ChemFreak. If we go with this track design, we might as well stick with P.O.R.N.

Just kidding Paul, I really like it. I think if you incorporated some of the berms from Jon's design, it would make yours even more appealing.
No worries...

Was that actually your design Jon? I was under the impression that you posted another person's design you happen to like. No biggie either way, but if that's not your design I'd really like know what YOUR best effort would look like, since there had been some reservations with the BIOS design, drainage, etc.

LOL!



I will say this though...I think whatever we design that's decided on should be carefully balanced as to what elements are included. A 1/8th sized track should have some fast flowing sections in it to allow the fast vehicles to stretch their legs a bit, and to also hit some crazy air without fear of breakage on every corner. It also should have a good "flow" to it, and should make for GOOD RACING. I'm not saying my design is perfect (in fact, I can already think of small stuff to adjust, etc), but I did try and consider those elements in the design. There are certain parts of the track that will bottle up the cars on purpose, to allow for passing opportunities, drag racing down the front/rear straights, etc.

Just something to consider, that's all.



- Paulie

Last edited by pgeldz; 04-22-2009 at 04:57 AM.
pgeldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:49 AM   #101
Tech Regular
 
bando711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 470
Default

Just my opinions:
I feel we are loosing a little focus on our short term goals, I like every track design that I have seen posted so far. The problem I see is that they are all, including mine, what I would consider challenging to difficult tracks. Remember we are not only looking for a place for us to run but trying to bring in new blood. Compared to Bios all of the designs posted here offer many more challenges. These all add up to a track, for a beginner, that is tough to make it around. All of us had a rough time at Bios mostly because of the loose conditions, we will have most of the same problems. No one wants to go out for a day of practice and have to bring 3 or 4 marshals along......

Second thing, all those jumps, bumps and whatever will all need to be maintained on a regular basis, not to mention several weeks to build if we do it by hand and shovel. My passion for RC is as strong as anyone elses but I can only dedicate so much of my time, mine happens to be Sundays. The last thing I want is to spend half of the day repairing the track, I think for our first track we need to keep that in mind until we get a group of people activley involved whose number is greater than 6.

No matter what the layout or condition of the track, you put 2 cars on it and you are racing......we all need a place to play ASAP.
__________________
Ken - Caster Racing 2011, Team Driver, Okinawa, Japan
K8T Pro Truggy, Werks .21B5
ZX1.5R Werks .21B5
EX-1.5R Pro, MMM 1800KV
bando711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 06:14 AM   #102
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 561
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bando711 View Post
Just my opinions:
I feel we are loosing a little focus on our short term goals, I like every track design that I have seen posted so far. The problem I see is that they are all, including mine, what I would consider challenging to difficult tracks. Remember we are not only looking for a place for us to run but trying to bring in new blood. Compared to Bios all of the designs posted here offer many more challenges. These all add up to a track, for a beginner, that is tough to make it around. All of us had a rough time at Bios mostly because of the loose conditions, we will have most of the same problems. No one wants to go out for a day of practice and have to bring 3 or 4 marshals along......

Second thing, all those jumps, bumps and whatever will all need to be maintained on a regular basis, not to mention several weeks to build if we do it by hand and shovel. My passion for RC is as strong as anyone elses but I can only dedicate so much of my time, mine happens to be Sundays. The last thing I want is to spend half of the day repairing the track, I think for our first track we need to keep that in mind until we get a group of people activley involved whose number is greater than 6.

No matter what the layout or condition of the track, you put 2 cars on it and you are racing......we all need a place to play ASAP.
That's a fair assesment Ken, and I agree for the most part...

I tried to incorporate that into my design as well, that's why if you break it down to brass tax you come up with a set of triples, a small double, and a washboard section. The other elements (step up turn, and two small table top jumps on the back side) are really just extra dirt in those areas, with a radius on each end...pretty simple to maintain. We just have more dirt in that area when building the track in the first place.

More challenging than Bios? I dunno. I think there's more room with our track, and as I pointed out, there are multiple configurations we can go with to allow for proper building of each section if time warrents it, etc. For the size of Bios, it actually had a lot of elements in it - a double, tripple, chicane section, hump jump, tabletop, small jump before a turn with a bump at the clipping point, big berm, etc. I think if you look at it that way, Bios look more challenging - at least to me anyway.

I know there are folks that want to get something established ASAP and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, but I guess I have a different perspective...

I'd rather have a solid plan for when/if we get some guest help to clear the area and lay the dirt for us, than to just have them clear the area and put dirt on it. If we do get the help from them, they will have to put the dirt there anyway, so why not have them just put it where we actually want it in the first place?

The other thing is that the more professional the facility looks, the more people it will attract. That's what's going to separate it from just a grass roots effort and makeshift track. I don't think just throwing dirt on the area and getting something up and running as soon as possible will really attract people the way a well planned track would.

I know and agree with what you are saying, all I'm saying is that IF we get the help from the other agencies, we should just do it right the first time.

If it's left up to just us with no outside help and just a bunch of shovels, than I agree, lets get something up and running quickly to actually secure the space and work on it later.

Bottom Line is that the manor we attack this all depends on the level of support we get from the outside agencies to actually help clear the area and secure the dirt/equipment.

If we get the help, we go with a prepared track, if not, we do what we can to get it up and running STAT.

Just my 2 cents...



- Paulie
pgeldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 06:19 AM   #103
Tech Regular
 
bando711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 470
Default

http://

If we get our hands on an ISO this is cool, think we can put it in the shade?
__________________
Ken - Caster Racing 2011, Team Driver, Okinawa, Japan
K8T Pro Truggy, Werks .21B5
ZX1.5R Werks .21B5
EX-1.5R Pro, MMM 1800KV
bando711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 06:28 PM   #104
Tech Regular
 
bando711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 470
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgeldz View Post
The other thing is that the more professional the facility looks, the more people it will attract. That's what's going to separate it from just a grass roots effort and makeshift track. I don't think just throwing dirt on the area and getting something up and running as soon as possible will really attract people the way a well planned track would.
If we were anywhere in the states I would agrre with you. We could spends months and many $$$ to open a perfect well groomed professional track.........and have the same 6-10 people come out to use it. I have heard for 18 months that there are so many people on island that are interested in RC but I have yet to find them. I do beleive we will attract more people with a free track on base but they may not be the "race" crowd that you want to design the track for. There are many RCers that just like to bash around and play on a track, they may or may not be interested in racing, I feel we need to consider everyones needs.

We may want to re-think the second, smaller track and open it up to nitro as well. We really won't know how loud it will be until we try it.

Please don't take my comments/opinions personal, just want to make sure we look at things from all sides.
__________________
Ken - Caster Racing 2011, Team Driver, Okinawa, Japan
K8T Pro Truggy, Werks .21B5
ZX1.5R Werks .21B5
EX-1.5R Pro, MMM 1800KV
bando711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:24 PM   #105
Tech Master
 
YDBD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Okinawa, Japan
Posts: 1,051
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to YDBD
Default

Want to get the 1/8 track up ASAP, the others can wait...if we build it they will come...

Here's three views of my design Paulie, since you were interested...

Courtney Marine Corps Base Off-Road Track Okinawa Japan-top-view-track.jpg

Courtney Marine Corps Base Off-Road Track Okinawa Japan-3d-track.jpg

Courtney Marine Corps Base Off-Road Track Okinawa Japan-3d-track2.jpg

What I incorporated:
Ken's signature long Table top
Two burms
Bridge Jump
Small Table Top and Whoops in front of pit area to slow drivers down
Track is 120x60, 10 foot lanes except under jump venturi.
3-4 interior marshal spots

have fun at the steakfest, have to go get some friends at the airport.
__________________
Jon
RC and Beer Brewer
the only way to DUI!
YDBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:35 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net