Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Courtney Marine Corps Base Off-Road Track Okinawa Japan

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 06:33 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Mr. Bojangles
As for the electric buggy trend...it is alive and kickin here but there was three nitro buggies out there today, and I know of a few more. So no, there is plenty of nitro buggies here for us to have a nice class with.

Paul...your D8 looked sick today...guess i better improve fast or i'm gonna get my ass kicked!
Thanks man! It's funny, As I'm telling Iggy that I used to run nitro (on-road) for years and know what I'm doing (tuning a motor), I'm having a hell of a time getting the thing to stay running. Then Ken comes over, tinkers with it for about 2 seconds, and it fires right up and runs like a champ all day! I swear he did the same things I did, but he definitely has that magic touch, so I know it won't be long until a nitro buggy is in his future Thanks again Ken for the help!

It was running like a top, and had good smoke too. Just as I was going to turn up the wick and really let it sing, I broke a fuel hose so I didn't really get a chance to see it at full song. The motor only had like 4 tanks through it before today, not including the bench-break-in at EB Mods. It was pretty damn fast as it was though, so overall I'm very happy with it.

All that said, I think I'm going to try the other motor I have to see what it does out there. It's a Go Tech 3 port race, fully modded and broken in by Massive Mods Australia. Best part of all, was that it only cost $209US. The exchange rate was awesome when I got it, so I'm hoping it'll have big performance for the budget price, he he he. It has the same exact pipe I'm using on the EB Mods Go Tech 5 port, but it's designed to run on 20% nitro fuel so it'll be cheaper to operate as well (The EB Mods is shimmed for 30%).

Well see how the 3 port does next time out. It's supposed to have a lot of grunt.

Even still, I AM going to pull the trigger on the HPI Vorza. It's basically a factory brushless converted Hot Bodies D8, that comes with a Mamba Monster 2200kv combo, and fully adjustable battery box to fit just about anything. Plus, it shares almost EVERYTHING with the D8, so stocking up on spare parts is cost effective since they can be used for either vehicle.

I think I'm actually going to run it BONE STOCK, dog bones and all, to prove a point (to myself). Even though HPI is marketing it as a great backyard basher, it's literally an electric D8, and I want to see if it can hang with Iggy's ballistic Ve8. Of course I'll put a receiver in it so I can use my radio, but I'm not actually going to get any hop ups, only light tuning like tires, diff oil and shock oil. There's really no need to change anything. Hell, even the servo it comes with is metal geared, and has 314 oz-in of torque, and .20 response time, which is real close to what I'm running in the D8 (333 oz-in and .15 response time).

I stayed for a bit to help Jon rake the 1/10 scale track, and it started to look really good in the areas that were done. Anthony raked a lot of it before I got there, and those parts looked awesome. After it's all raked, we just need some water, the tamper, and roller to finish it off. Most of those little pebbles are really clay nuggets, so it should pack down pretty good with a little H20. Iggy designed a pretty cool track for sure, and I'm looking forward to running 1/10 scale buggy on it

Oh, and since everyone knows I hate getting my cars dirty (I'm really an on-road touring car guy at heart), I broke down after looking at my dirty cars from today and got an air compressor. I'm gonna fire it up tomorrow and see how she does cleaning the D8, etc.

- Paulie

Last edited by pgeldz; 12-13-2009 at 06:45 AM.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:05 AM
Tech Addict

I just thought of something for the pit lane, and wanted to run it past you guys...

I think for those of us that were talking about it, we kinda agreed that the pit entry is ideal where it is, but having the exit feed into the first corner would be better because cars would already be slowing down for the hairpin so we'd be less likely to get tangled up with each other coming out of pit road.

Problem with that is the pit lane would be the entire length of the main straight, which of course wouldn't work out either.

So I got to thinking, if the ideal entry would be at a slow point in the track, and the ideal exit would be at a slow point as well, why not do something a little unorthodox and move pit road to the outside of the first hairpin at the end of the main straight? Instead of making the hairpin, you would enter pit road on the outside of the ginormous tubing, up onto the elevated pit lane that curves paralell to that big tubing, and then exit right down into the straight headed for the tripple. Pit lane would be a semi circle of sorts. Plus, the other benifit is that it gives folks exiting pit road a straight shot at the tripple, with slightly more run-up than if they had to make the hairpin, so it could balance out the disadvantage of having to pit in the first place (since usually you have to fight traffic when exiting pit road). The other good thing is that our pit tables were supposed to be between the kiddie track, and the bigger tracks (like basicaly walking out from the chowhall), so it would be closer to your gear, without having to treck your gear to the upper left hand side of the layout where the pits are now.

What do you guys think? I'll be more than happy to build an elevated semi-circle pit lane if you guys like the idea. I just need someone to help me bring the wood there (my car is too small).

Let me know if you lke the idea...

- Paulie
Old 12-13-2009, 11:27 AM
Tech Initiate

Paulie, the only problems that I could see is that the angle that the driver would have on pit lane may create more of a problem. Pit lane is usually very narrow and should be as staight as possible to prevent tangles in the pit. It is easy to get hooked on a 2 x 4 just by barely brushing up against it.

If you guys are worried about the exit into the staight being a problem then shift the pit down to the right so it will exit at the end of the straight. This is where traffic will be slowing down and coming out of the pit you can take it wide while the main traffic will most likely cut it short or mid. Entering the pit will be simple because the driver will be consentrating on getting into the pit and staying near the entrance while the other drivers will be more focused on staying in the middle of the track. Just my two cents but I feel if you start making this big elaborate curving pit lane it will cause more problems. Thanks.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:14 PM
Tech Regular

Your welcome Paulie, the most important thing for me on tuning is knowing where my starting point is, factory settings, and knowing how to get back there. factory will always be rich so it is cake from there.

No matter where we put the pit, it will always be the guy exiting that needs to avoid traffic. The pit works well close to and below the drivers stand if you need to pass on tuning or adjustment instruction to your pit crew. I thought it turned out ok the way we set it up yesterday, no issues entering, long enough for 8-10 cars if need be, and a good place to exit. The drivers stand........should we ever have one,.......... will be almost centered on the exit so the guys leaving the pits will have a full field of view of oncoming traffic.

Looks like the location of the track should work out well. We were hoping that the single guys in the dorm would get involved, and we saw some of that yesterday. A young man named Adam noticed all of out there and walked accross the street to see what was going on. His brother is into RC so he was a little familiar with them......a couple of hours later he is the new proud owner of a sweet Brushless REVO. He is new to RC so I'm sure he will have a lot of questions.

The more people we get involved the better the odds of the RC park being successful.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Things still needed to get done:

1/8 track stakes need to be punched down through the tube to the base

A mound needs to be built in front of the large tube after the straight

Most of the track surface needs to be repacked, some areas were packed well enough to run on and only need to be swept, but it was only the back section. The rest of the track was not prepped enough and will erode with rain.

The jump faces need to be slurried to seal up the cracks.

The kiddie track needs to be packed.

1/10 track needs to be raked and then packed and jumps packed.

It is a safety issue to drive with out a driver stand as you do not have visibility of the back of the track.

We are also required to have a nitro fueling area and that needs to be clearly marked.

I picked up a lot of trash around the track, please pack your trash out with you, leave it better than you found it.

Please don't get the track shut down before it is open.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:44 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by bando711
The drivers stand........should we ever have one,.......... will be almost centered on the exit so the guys leaving the pits will have a full field of view of oncoming traffic.
No worries Ken, we can just leave the pit lane where it is...it's all good.

Speaking about the drivers' stand, I have some really good news, and some not good news.

I made some calls and was able to make it happen. My guys want to move the ISO tomorrow, bring it to Kadena, then deliver it to Courtney on Wednesday.

Problem is they already gave our ISO away cause it was never picked up.

There are 3 more ISO's at DRMO but are already spoken for. I just called the guy who reserved them and asked if they can give one up, and they said NO!

So, my contact at DRMO is going to look in the yard and see what else he can do. If the 3 ISO's aren't picked up by next week, they are fair game for the taking, BUT, my guys won't be able to transport it then, due to availability of trucks/drivers.

Bottom line - I'm pretty frustrated. What's taken months to get done just got ironed out with 3 phone calls. I got my guys on board willing to move the ISO TOMORROW, but they have no ISO to move!

My contact at Kinser has two 10 foot containers that are just about as tall as the ISO, so maybe we can butt them up together and use that? I dunno, but I have 2 hours to find something to take advantage of the transport tommorow.

Your thoughts?

- Paulie

Last edited by pgeldz; 12-13-2009 at 09:06 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

two tens could work if we put them together can you get good dimensions?
Old 12-13-2009, 11:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Jon,

When I go up tomorrow I can do the following:

1. Build the mound in front of the big tube.

2. Start raking the 1/10 track

3. I guess start putting dirt along the straight, run up to the triple and the s-curves.

4. Unless anyone can bring a giant bucket of water... not much else!
Old 12-13-2009, 11:41 PM
Tech Addict

Well fellas, here's the final update on the ISO for the drivers' stand...

We missed our golden opportunity. There's just no other way to put it. I can't get what DRMO doesn't have, and my authorization to sign out stuff from DRMO is expired now as well.

As a last resort, I did some more research and came up with an agency who will be getting rid of a bunch of 20 foot ISO's in the near future.

I personally called the head of this agency and he is under direction from his HQ's that the disposition of these ISO's will not be released until Feb.

So, bottom line is that I can re-attack the issue and we *may* be able to get one in February, but it's still no guarentee so it's time to consider alternate plans.

- Paulie
Old 12-14-2009, 12:51 AM
Tech Regular

There is more scafolding on this island than you can shake a stick at. Maybe one of the bases/posts has some we can "sign out" until we get a conex.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Any way we can get the Seabees to build us a permanent wood stand? I know this was discussed before, but I don't know what came of it.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:46 AM
Tech Regular

Josh, I see you pulled the trigger on the new truggy!! congrats
Old 12-14-2009, 01:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

ha...took your advice and didn't tell the wife...shhhhh
Old 12-14-2009, 02:16 AM
Tech Regular

When she makes you sell it I will give you enough to buy the flowers that you will need to get out of the doghouse
Old 12-14-2009, 02:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

LOL thanks, but I think it's everything I bought for the Truggy that I need to be worried about....yikes!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.