Wiki Posts
Search

Courtney Marine Corps Base Off-Road Track Okinawa Japan

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 08:38 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wolfeml
So I can start building my stock of tires before I get there, what tires do you guys feel are going to hook up the best there? What it the surface made out of and do you feel that when race day it will start to build a blue groove or will it stay dry and loose?
It is going to be Hard packed clay with loose dust on top. You need the softest stickiest tires you can find (IMO).

I bought 3 Turnigy LiPos and one had a bad connection upon arrival and the vendor replaced it. The other 2 worked great.

Last edited by Murdadock; 12-10-2009 at 09:14 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:38 PM
Tech Regular

We do not have a high enough quality of clay for it to form a blue groove, it will be loose and dry for the most part. We really paid attention to drainage as water puddles or lakes are the biggest issue. We hope to have days that we had rain but no standing water, these will be the days you can get dialed in.I don't think anyone has driven the new track enough to make the call on tires at this point.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:58 PM
Tech Addict

Quick question fellas...

Traxxas is coming out with a fully hopped up Slash 4x4 (dubbed, Platinum Edition), in ARTR format with clear body and no radio/receiver.

http://www.traxxas.com/products/elec...ml#/content-00

If I were to have this, with a Castle Creations 1/8th scale Mamba Mamba Monster ESC/motor, and 1/8th scale wheel/tires swap using AKA wheel adapters, would you guys let me run in a 1/8th electric truggy class?

I think it'd be closer to a truggy than a monster truck...

Your thoughts?

- Paulie
Old 12-10-2009, 09:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

the track will be loose if dry and never really blue groove unless we only run when slightly wet. Something that throws dirt would be a good tire.

Paulie you can run the Slash 4x4 in whatever class, haven't seen one run but would think it would perform poor against a truggy.

Hoping to be there Sunday anyone else?
Old 12-10-2009, 09:35 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by YDBD
Paulie you can run the Slash 4x4 in whatever class, haven't seen one run but would think it would perform poor against a truggy.
Yeah, I dunno...

With the proper 1/8th scale tires I'd think it'd hook up pretty good, and considering it weighs half as much as a truggy it might be able to compete with them, although it is quite a bit narrow compared to an actual truggy so you never know...

- Paulie
Old 12-10-2009, 09:51 PM
Tech Regular

Jon, I will be out all day Sunday to work.

Paulie, like we said in the begining, run what you brung, unlike our Bios neighbors we will ALWAYS find a class for someone to race if they show up!!

I'm sure speed wise you could keep up with a truggy but I doubt the suspension would be anywhere close therefore I can't see it getting around the track faster. All that being said, the way you can wheel a car I have no doubt you could make a good showing.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:24 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks Ken. We'll see though...I think a Vorza is in my near future first before a Slash 4x4.

Heck, I'm stil trying to wrap my head aroound the fact that you sold all your Kyosho nitro gear...I'm still in shock!

Ken without his Kyosho nitro buggy is like me without a 1/10 touring car (which will never happen by the way, he he he).

- Paulie

Last edited by pgeldz; 12-10-2009 at 10:40 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:51 PM
Tech Regular

I would never say anything bad about the Kyosho buggies, they made me a better driver and actually made me look better than I am. I have wanted to have a brand new buggy for a couple of years now but couldn't justify it because I had so much Kyosho gear. Although I have rebuilt mine many times I have never had a BRAND NEW 1/8 Buggy. I will very soon!! Caster offered the exact Electric configuration that I was looking for so I decided to see how the Brushless buggy really handles. Never really got to drive one as I didn't feel right pushing someone elses car that hard. Caster also makes the Nitro version and I am reading some good reviews on it. Like you I tend to stock up on spare parts so it only makes sense to stick with a brand........ we will be racing Nitro buggies before you know it.

Remember my quote from spock "I/8 scale Nitro is and always will be my freind"
Old 12-10-2009, 11:29 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by bando711
we will be racing Nitro buggies before you know it.
Now that's more like it!

- Paulie
Old 12-11-2009, 01:44 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I told the guys out at RC Paradise I was gonna buy Ken's Kyosho. They said something about "Mr. Kyosho" and only having a T-shirt and looked shocked.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:39 AM
Tech Addict

Looks like I'll be at Courtney on Sunday after all.

Spent all night getting the EVO 5 MS ready, wiring in the new brushless gear, only to get thwarted by the damn ESC connector that goes into the receiver.

I forgot that the Tekin's advanced settings are only acccessible by the Hotwire hardware via PC interface, and you have to unplug the ESC from the receiver and plug it into the Hotwire. Of course the connector is new so it fit in the receiver very snug and I broke the damn thing trying to get it out! I'll go to Siro's tomorrow morning and take care of it, but it'll be too late for testing at Yomitan tomorrow, so I won't be racing on Sunday. All that said though, the wiring did come out very clean

So on my way home from Siro, I'll get some nitro fuel, and head to Courtney Sunday with the D8.

Ken, I'll bring the LRP QC3 ($75), and Iggy, I'll bring all the stuff we talked about tonight as well ($120).

See ya'll Sunday! (What time is everyone headed up there?)

- Paulie
Old 12-11-2009, 09:17 AM
Tech Initiate

I keep seeing Bios popping up randomly in the forum....is that another offroad track on the island? That would be cool if there were a couple of tracks on island so we could mix it up from time to time. How many offroad tracks are there on the island that can or does support 1/8th scale?
Old 12-11-2009, 02:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wolfeml
I keep seeing Bios popping up randomly in the forum....is that another offroad track on the island? That would be cool if there were a couple of tracks on island so we could mix it up from time to time. How many offroad tracks are there on the island that can or does support 1/8th scale?
Bios was the only 1/8 off road track we had. Uehara-san dad owned the property and X hobby contributed to it's construction. The track was fun and after a year they made it bigger, I liked the first layout better, the second was more frustrating to drive on.

The problems with Bios:
  • No drainage, after any rain it wouldn't be dry for days and a lot of work.
  • The big triple jump was in the back lane and the run up was short, loamy and behind a 4' tall 3' wide table top and was only made 60% of the time.
  • the track was crooked, as if you did make the triple in distance, chances are you land outside the lane.
  • The surface was hard packed under 1-2" of loose dirt (same issue we may have)
  • They use PVC pipe in lanes and walls that still had unhidden ends.
  • [SIZE
="5"]They built it next to a golf course green[/SIZE]

In the end it was closed in May09, what they said it was due to being afraid of drivers getting hit by golf balls, which is no duh, if you heard a nitro scream as you lined up for your birdie how hard would you hit it and what direction...

The Okinawan guys worked really hard on the track and it was a good track. It was only supposed to be open on Sundays, but I think both locals and US guys frequented more, which could have contributed to the shut down.

They left most of the track stuff there, Uehara-san said we could use it for the track we were building, I got most of the flex tubing and left the pvc, it's all overgrown now and there is probably 500 feet of PVC still there. Some one finally took down the driver stand scaffold, but the pit ramp and winner steps are still there as well as the port o jon on its side eewwwww....

The name came from the forest nature park up the hill from it, it was located just off of highway 6 crossing over from 58 to 329.

The LHS Raijaten uses a grass field next to Kurashiki Dam for 1/8 buggies, someone is working on getting the city to make it dirt....they use wood borders and jumps, ran there once...
Old 12-11-2009, 04:53 PM
Tech Rookie

Default 1/8 buggy?

To anyone who can help. Trying to find a hobby shop that has 1/8 scale buggies for sell. Just stumbled upon the track on Courtney, awesome. My son is very excited. I used to race? At Lejeune. We have a MGT now , need fuel. Also would like to help out on the track. I have drove by there during last week but no one was there when I went. Thanks
Old 12-11-2009, 06:30 PM
Tech Initiate

Excellent info. Thanks Jon. Too bad it is shut down. As long as the one by the dam is still kicking it leaves some hope that we will have multiple places to run.

If I were you guys I would snag all the PVC that you could....as long as it is good. It holds up a lot better than the flex tubing and works really good for lolly pops and big straights. Then you could save the flex tubing for repairs when it gets beat.....and it will get beat.

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.