R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Track Locator Forum

Old 12-04-2009, 11:14 PM   #451
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbycentral View Post
Looks like you guys have the beginnings of an awesome off-road track. I'm retired military and I own a few hobby shops and have a contract with the exchange system. The exchange system (AAFES) told me about your effort. I have had a large off-road track and a couple of on-road tracks and an indoor track. So I have some experience with building rc tracks. If there is something I can do to help let me know, and I'll see what I can do.
Bill, welcome! It's refreshing to have someone with not only your retail connection but also your experience in building and running tracks. Due to my workload compared to Rob, Jon, and the other guys I have had very little contribution to the effort at Courtney but I hope to make up for that soon. I'm definitely looking forward to Slash-ing and bashing at the new track!

Mike
raycerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 04:13 PM   #452
Tech Initiate

Hey guys, glad to finally hear that the track is moving right along. I will be on the island at the end of Feb and can't wait to get my hands dirty with you all making this happen. I have been working with these guys for the past 3 years, xrcraceway.com making their track what it is, and it rocks. I would like to carry on my passion for R/C for the next couple of years as well.

I have some questions that I hope someone can answer.

1. What classes are going to be running? Going through the thread there seems to be a couple of tracks built in the same location? I have been running truggy for the past 5 years and hope that I can carry this class on.

2. Funding? I know that the Seabees are building the track but what about funding for pipes, driver's stand, pit area, and everything else that it takes to run a track? Are there fund raisers or will there be some sort of military funding to make this happen?

3. Transponders and computer program? i would imagine that there would be the regular AMB transponder setup like everywhere else but I was just curious. What program will be used to run the events? I am pretty familiar with J-Lap so I can lend my assistance in this as well.

4. What type of promoting is the track doing for pulling people in? Will Camp Courtney allow the local nationals on base to take advantage of the track as well? I think that will make for a better time too.

5. One last thing, is there a picture of the track or a diagram of the layout? I would like to get excited about the layout atleast.

I think that is it for now. I really want to help in making this a great time for all. I can't wait to be able to race all year long. I think we will have a great time. Can't wait to race with you all and to lend my assistance when I get on deck.
wolfeml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 01:08 AM   #453
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Wolfeml,

To answer some of your questions, there will be multiple classes run at the tracks. We have a 1/8th scale track that will be running nitro/brushless buggies and truggies. We can't really come up with classes yet as we do not know who will show up each race. We may have to consolidate some classes together if we don't have enough for seperate classes. We also have a 1/10th electric track specifically for 1/10th scale buggies, stadium trucks, and short course vehicles. There will also be a smaller track for the young ones and also a rock crawling track. Local Japanese will be allowed on the track but they will need a sponsor to get onto the base. As for funding, it's pretty much coming out of all of our pockets. A lot of people have spent/donated a lot of money to help purchase supplies. And bless the Seabees for their awesome support! Promotions are coming. I believe we are going to run some stories in some military newspapers out here. It's also by word of mouth and bringing folks to watch what we do. It's amazing to see the look on some peoples faces when they see an 1/8th scale vehicle run for the first time. We just completed the basics for the 1/8th scale track today, so i'm sure some pics will be uploaded in the near future. As for the transponder/computer lap counting programming i have no idea. I'm sure someone can chime in on that though. Look forward to seeing you in Feb!
Z01-T JG O'Donnell SS.21 Powered---FOR SALE
HPI Blitz
Mr. Bojangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 01:53 AM   #454
Tech Regular

Here are some answers to your questions:

1. What classes are going to be running? Undetermined

Going through the thread there seems to be a couple of tracks built in the same location? 1/8th, 1/10, Beginner, rock crawler

2. Funding? Our pockets, don't tell the wifes

3. Transponders and computer program? Currently an AMB20 (no personal transponders), but I have a lead on an ARC system. The computer has been donated by Jon with a backup coming from Ski. I have Laps Free, which we are using currently and will probably stick with.

4. What type of promoting is the track doing for pulling people in? Currently only word of mouth. A few other items, newpaper article/add, are planned.

Will Camp Courtney allow the local nationals on base to take advantage of the track as well? They will have to be signed on for events.

5. One last thing, is there a picture of the track or a diagram of the layout? A drawing is located roughly around page 6 and posted by PGELDZ.

We got a lot done on the 1/8th track today. It was even ran on for awhile. The 1/10 track is marked and dirt dropped to start forming the jumps and start laying the tubing.

When's the next work day??????
TEAMS: Team Terribles, Team P.O.R.N. (www.pacificoffroadnitro.4t.com)
RACERS: Caster Fusion, Tamiya TA-05R, TA-05, M-03M, Caster K8-T, and many more!!!
crymynal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 02:35 AM   #455
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to YDBD

Awesome day guys! Think I'm gonna take an ache and pain pill, one sore daddy here.

Thanks again for coming out and especially to Mike Davidson for the tamper, roller and skid we couldn't have done it with out those.

We need a good rain to give it a wash down. I'm gonna try to make out next Sunday and work on the 1/10 track, we still need some of the small hose for that one so keep your eyes open.

I'm really itchin to get the conex out there ASAP. IMO I don't really think a permanent structure by MCCS will be timely and to actually build a typhoon proof driver stand would take something like mine at my house, cinder blocks...

Remember night Slash Bash Race at BBSCT on Jan 1 5-11pm!!!
YDBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 05:12 AM   #456
Tech Initiate

Thanks Josh and Anthony.

Thats great that there is going to be some sort of transponder system. It makes all the difference. I think it will be neat that there will be a couple of different classes as well. I hope to get housing right on courtney so I can be right next to the track. Keep the updates coming and I TMO next month....cant wait to get out of super cold Maryland, it just started snowing here.

Matt
Old 12-06-2009, 02:16 PM   #457
Tech Master

Matt,

Why wait till Feb, come on over! Was a cool 69 yesterday working on the track.

Rob took a bunch of pics, and hope we can get them up on here or my site soon.

We ran the AMB system at my house SCT track, it made the whole thing more fun! Our next race is the 1st of Jan at night.

I take it your a Marine since you know about Courtney. Make sure you bring all your RC stuff, on road, off road or what ever. If you can get some banners or something for the track to make it look like a track that would be great.

other news:

We had enough pipe to do the upper track, that was a lot more than I thought was in that pile. I still have two large pieces at school, so any left overs can be used for pit row and moved to the lower track. The orange tube should be fine for the 1/10 track and kiddie track.

I'll also grab some stakes left over from the school track, but we need more. I'll run to Kadena today and see what they got...crap bell rang...
Old 12-06-2009, 03:55 PM   #458
Tech Initiate

Hey Jon,

I wish I could get out of here earlier. Feb is the soonest I can get back there.....and I can't wait!!! I see you are talking about getting a conex up there for the track? What is the size on it? If it is a regular 20 footer that is awesome. I have seen some tracks actually use these as their drivers stands as well. If you do have one, the you could put it inbetween the two tracks and use it as a drivers stand for both. Then you could just build some steps/ramp to the top with a railing for safety. And to top it all off you could still use the inside for storage.

It sounds as if the SC is the going trend over there right now. I hope more 1/8th scale are there to race as well. I have raced a bit of the SC but it has not really been my thing, oh well racing is racing and I can make the change if needed. hahaha Will there be any power at the track or will I need the power inverter off my POV or bring my generator? Talk to you soon.

MBX6T
V-Spec VZ-B
Old 12-06-2009, 05:07 PM   #459
Tech Master

Quit reading our minds...

That is the plan with the conex to put inbetween the two tracks, but apparenty takes HQ approval, but the CC can loophole around that. It's supposed to be one of the nice ones with lights, cabinets, shelves. It has not been "sold" to safety yet even with pictures....

I have a genny that will be at the track 24/7 in the conex when it gets there.

SCT is fun, but on the right track, like the one at my house. We were joking as a SCT race on the new track would be three laps in 5 minutes.

Buggies are more popular here, not to many truggies and still a lot of monster trucks. We're just gonna have to mix up the classes so everyone can run what they got and have fun.

I'm working a deal with Caster to get 10 748 fusions for my students.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:26 PM   #460
Tech Initiate

Oh man, that would be awesome! what a great teacher you are!! Wish you were my teacher. haha

At least there are still a good hand full that run buggy. I ran that for the past few years but took last year off to dedicate my time to the truggy. I can get back into that though. I just love the duribility of the 1/8th scale.

You say there are still quite a bit that run MT? I fear that may die off once the racing bug gets everyone. Racing is very hard on a MT and they don't last long. that is why I gave up the Revo..."REALLY, AGAIN WITH THE PILLOW BALLS!!!!"

As soon as you can get some pics posted please throw them on here. I cant wait to see where you are going with everything.

P.S. I don't usually sit on the forums like this but I had my tonsiles out the other day and this is keeping my mind off the pain. IF YOU ARE IN YOUR 30'S, DONT DO IT!!!! I would rather die than have this happen again. Talk to you later.

MBX6T
V-Spec VZ-B
Old 12-06-2009, 07:03 PM   #461
Tech Initiate

this is for anyone, what kind of fuel can you get out there? Last time I was there the best thing I could find was the Tamiya fuel, not bad but not the great selection that we can get in the states.

MBX6T
V-Spec VZ-B
Old 12-07-2009, 02:54 AM   #462
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeml View Post
this is for anyone, what kind of fuel can you get out there? Last time I was there the best thing I could find was the Tamiya fuel, not bad but not the great selection that we can get in the states.
Welcome Matt,

The two main brands of fuel you can get here are Cosmo and Klotz. They sell both 20% and 30% Nitro Blends of each brand. I'm currently using the Klotz brand, but I've used Cosmo before when I used to race on-road a long time ago - both brands are of high quality. Factory Hot Bodies driver ATSUSHI HARA used Cosmo fuel when he won the '08 Worlds Off-Road in his D8 Buggy, if that tells you anything.

Good to have you with us. Look forward to RCing with you.

- Paulie
pgeldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:48 AM   #463
Tech Initiate

Thanks Paulie, nice to see that there is something out there and not just some Hobby Town type stuff. What does a gallon of the fuel go for? Thanks

MBX6T
V-Spec VZ-B
Old 12-07-2009, 01:22 PM   #464
Tech Master

Gas is 2.59 a gallon, Lipo fuel is about 6000 yen for a 2s, nitro is about 4000 yen a gallon, the Yen rate is 86 or so...
Old 12-07-2009, 02:40 PM   #465
Tech Initiate

Well gas isn't too far off from here. We are at 2.50 a gallon, and I am in a cheaper area. What kind of lipos are you running? I spent all last year building and running a brushless Jammin X2 CRT. It is a lot of fun but the place I ran at always had 30 min mains. I could make it with a battery change but no matter how good I raced, I would always loose too much ground in the battery changing stop.

I bought all my lipos from hobbycity and they have some good inexpensive batteries. As long as you are getting 30c or higher I have never had one puff or have a problem with them. You should check them out. I recommned the Turnigy brand. I could even run 2 4s1p 4000mAh in parallel. I know it was a brick but it would give me 18 mins run time. If you have any questions about hobbycity I would be more than happy to help you out.

MBX6T
V-Spec VZ-B