R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Track Locator Forum

Old 11-25-2003, 02:29 PM   #46
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I'll tell you Sherman, once the sun goes down and the track is nice and wet, you get some mad traction. Especially after a couple of cars run a few minutes on it. The lugs work even better on the wet. They don't even hook up if its dry. When I was going out there Saturday mornings and it was 100F outside, nothing would hook the rear end up. It was bad. But the track has been rained on and had a few very good soaks now and will hold a watering for more than five minutes before you're driving on a dust bowl again.

I agree with you about the transponders. I love them. But like you said, I'm an experianced (or obsessed, however you want to phrase it ) racer. I have one that I can use. but a Novice won't . He really should rent them to the rookies at least once or twice. If they decide racing isn't for them, they jsut dumped $70 they didn't need to.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 03:00 PM   #47
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Sherman

If the track hooks up after it is watered, than we are going to have some great racing!

I just hate to run down a business or people, but Hobby people do not know how to treat customers, or do they know what they are doing. No! they would not put a flyer up.

They have nothing I want anyway. I would rather pay more to go to Family Hobbies.

I love Family Hobbies.

Maybe next year an on-road track or maybe a mico?

Shermanator:
Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 03:13 PM   #48
Tech Champion

The only time I go into a Hobby People is if I'm in the area, (unfortunatly that's often, I live five minutes from the El Cajon one and work two blocks from the Kerny Mesa one) and need something like motor spray! They're fine for the backyard bashers but a serious racer would not buy much there.

I'd love to have a So Cal like onroad place down here. Did you ever race in the OLD discount hobbies when they had the indoor onroad track? I never got to race there but I ran an old Agitator Pan car a friend gave me there probably 12 years ago. How about RC Racing center in Lakeside. That's where I started.
Old 11-25-2003, 04:23 PM   #49

Post discount hobbies

I LOVED THAT TRACK.... I WAS THE 1\12TH SCALE KING THERE BACK IN 91'...... I MISS RACING WITH ALL THE GUYS... MIKE LEE, MIKE SCUBE, ROY POWELL, ERIC SOLDERQUIST. A.K.A. DR. VON QUICK, MARK THE HAMMER, RICH... ON AND ON........
I STILL HAVE MY AGITATOR AND ALL MY PRECISION MOTOR WORKS STOCK MOTOR FROM BOB OMAY...... AS FAR AS THE TRANSPONDERS GO... SCOTT SHOULD RENT THEM OUT... GET SOME KIND OF I.D. OR DRIVERS LICENSE AS COLATERAL....AND JUST CHARGE $5.00 TO RENT..... CATER TO THE CUSTOMERS AND THEY WILL COME BACK....... JUST MY .02 CENT WORTH
muggleh8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 06:30 PM   #50
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

What about just punching in the racers car # if they dont have a personal transponder?
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 06:38 PM   #51

Post TRANSPONDERS

DDOOHH!!!!!!! FORGOT THAT ONE
Old 11-25-2003, 07:45 PM   #52
Tech Champion

that would be too easy though
Old 11-25-2003, 08:47 PM   #53
Tech Adept

what is a transponder? also, hey randman, are you enrique's friend from discount hobby?
msuh24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 09:15 PM   #54
Tech Champion

AMB make personal transponders that have a unique serial number. They are a little red sensor that goes in your car and every time you go passed the loop (start finish line) it senses your car and counts a lap. It makes for automated race tracking and lap counting, but for very consistant lap timing as well. The consistant lap times aren't quite as critical in off road as it is when we race on road where .1 second a lap can put you half a lap down or more by the end of a 5 minute race.
Old 11-25-2003, 09:46 PM   #55
Tech Regular

I only talked with the owner Tuesday morning and he seems to be a very nice man. But you always get a “feeling” about someone you have just met. Sometimes right and then sometimes more often wrong. I may be wrong, and hope that I am wrong, but I get this bad feeling that it is going to be his way or the highway. HolyCow here we go again. I just do not think he is going to rent the transponders or listen to racers ideas. I am not sure how much knowledge he knows about RC racing. Does he know he can rent the transponders or just do a hand count? Does he know about turn marshals? I am not a person to complain, and I will accept the rules at Family Hobbies. After all I am set. I have everything. Two transponders, two truck, two buggies.

I have been looking foreword to having a track like this for two years and just hate to see it go down. I started racing about 5-7 years ago when discount hobby had the off-road track on convoy. Man I was in 7th heaven. I just loved it. Then it was gone. Then there was the El Cajon carpet track. I just loved racing with my 12th scale. Then it was gone. After that I started to race at SoCal, and now the attendance is off.

The people that are in the hobby business have to realize that true it is a business, but if you do not promote your customers and get new customers you are going to be history.

I told the owner that I would help him anyway I could and that the track is going to be great for his business.

I am ready for Friday night racing. I am grateful and thankful for having this track.

Shermanator
Old 11-26-2003, 11:21 AM   #56

Post yep

i agree with sherman......
Old 11-27-2003, 09:41 AM   #57
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by msuh24
what is a transponder? also, hey randman, are you enrique's friend from discount hobby?
No, I really dont want to have anything to do with that kid...
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 11:02 AM   #58
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

so is this friday night racing a for sure thing..?just got my buggy finished...

planning on going to SoCal GP... need practice..
Old 11-27-2003, 11:06 AM   #59
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

how are the night lights at FH?
Old 11-27-2003, 11:21 AM   #60
Tech Regular

Default Friday Night Racing

OSherman

Take a look at my post near the bottom of this thread.
Yes they have lights, since this will be my second time there I have no idea how the lights are going to light up the race area. I saw the lights in back of the drivers stand, no lights on the other side. It looks like it will be OK.

You will have to have an AMB transponder. I know you have one.
As to racing I talked to the own last Tuesday. He said he is trying his best to get the track ready for this Friday night, but we may just have a fun shake down race to start. So if you come you may want to plan on maybe just some fun racing.

I will be there.

Shermanator