R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Track Locator Forum

Old 11-24-2003, 09:03 PM   #31
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Thanks Sherman! It's nice to get help from the experienced racers. I hope there are more novices.
IntegraCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 09:11 PM   #32
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I think there will be plenty of Novices out there for you to race with. Like Sherman said, if you need any help, feel free to ask. I know I almost feel like a school teacher a lot of times when I'm out there but I enjoy it and am willing to share what I've been able to learn over the years. That's how most of us learned.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 09:17 PM   #33
Tech Regular

Is this a permanent track? I plan on racing there regularly since it is about the only track within reasonable distance from my house in Chula Vista. I am going to watch you guys race on Friday to see what it is like.
IntegraCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 09:22 PM   #34
Tech Champion

Yes it is a permenant track. It's pretty small but it works. I don't think any of us know what's going to be like New race programs can be intersting, but things will get going and it's going to be fun. One thing I think we should do is only had five or six car heats at a time. Any more than that on that tight little layout would be way too many.
Old 11-24-2003, 10:36 PM   #35
Tech Adept

i have an older losi xx buggy. it is not the cr edition. i have installed graphite stuff all around though, and have a novak elektra esc with a p2k motor. i have a futaba am radio with trinity (cheap) 1500 batteries. would this car even be competetive? thanks guys. also, why no gas 1/8th?
msuh24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 11:30 PM   #36

Post xx buggy

yes, you can run that car....it is still a contender..... shouldnt take long to dial it in either..... as far as batteries go, you might want to get at least some 2000......
also noise ordanance wont allow for gas, let alone 1\8th scale.... are you crazy.... an 1\8th scale on that track.... you could kill someone, or launch your car onto fanita dr. LOL

muggleh8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 06:51 AM   #37
Tech Champion

It's a noise issue and a space issue. Have you ever seen a 1/8 on a track? They need LOTS of space. I ran my truck @ Lake Perris, a 1/8 gas track and it looked like a little micro out there! The jumps were 5 feet high! This track is small even for the electrics let alone gas cars.
Old 11-25-2003, 08:43 AM   #38
Tech Adept

thanks for the info. now, in san diego, which hobby store do you guys go to? hobby people doesn't have much stuff, hobby central seems a little stuck up. discount hobby is ok sometimes, and krazy kevin and family hobbies is expensive. any info would help. thanks.
Old 11-25-2003, 08:53 AM   #39
Tech Champion

You're dead on with your observations. Most of my gear I buy online. Stormer, KT Hobbies, all have good prices and you pay no tax. Usually makes up for the shipping. I also but some specialty stuff from SpeedtechRC.com
Old 11-25-2003, 08:55 AM   #40
Tech Adept

so besides family and perris and the dirt, is there any other tracks in san diego county? i heard there is one at a high school. do you have any info on that? thanks jkerr.
Old 11-25-2003, 08:58 AM   #41
Tech Champion

Kearny High. If you want my opinion, PM me.
Old 11-25-2003, 09:39 AM   #42

Post rc

i agree with jk..... i get my stuff at either so cal online.... or ultimate hobbies
Old 11-25-2003, 12:40 PM   #43
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

The Komet track is going to have a new facelift before long, it should be a very impressive track, and 1/8 scale is welcome there...
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 02:07 PM   #44

Post ???????

hey randy... wheres that track??????
Old 11-25-2003, 02:11 PM   #45
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Sherman
Default Friday Night Racing

I went to Family Hobbies this Tuesday morning to take a look at the track. I was very impressed at the facilities. The hobby shop is pretty big and seems to be well stocked. A tag on the expensive side, but not bad.

I talked to the owner and he seems to be a very nice guy. He is not really sure he is going to get the track ready for this Friday night racing. After all it is the first race so we may be in for just a fun, shake down race to start. But for sure we will have Friday night racing in the future Friday nights. So do not be too disappointed if we just have a practice or fun race this Friday night. I will be there for sure.

The track is small, but we can race on it. After the El Cajon track this track is big. I hope he keeps the heats down to no more than 5 drivers. The dirt is fair to good. He will have to water it for the cars to hook up, and he said he would. I do not know what the track will be like after it is watered. I only hope it does not turn to mud. After all we will all have to deal with it. There needs to be more clay in the dirt but what ever. I can see when the track is dry you are just moving over dirt and your car will not hook up. I can understand why you should use lug nuts or step pins for your car to hook up, and use the m3 compound and soft as possible. The gearing must be low. I think maybe two or three tooth lower than SoCal, but that is a guess right now.

The cost for racing he said would be $12.00 for the day(night) of practice and racing. He still has no idea at the time racing will start. I hope it to be at 6pm or 7pm. There are a couple of bad things he has planned to do. The first is you will need an AMB personal transponder to race. The cost at his store is about $70.00. That is fine for me and most experienced racers, but he has no plans to rent then for first time or novice racers. This is really a bad idea. If a father and son want to race for the first time they would have to put out $70.00 just to race one night. The other bad idea is the classes. He said if only one-person show up with a 4wheel then only one person will race in that class. He will need to combine people with other people. I know I am not going to race by myself. That is not racing. I am not sure about running mod. It is a very small track and not for mod, we will have to just see what happens.

What ever happens I want everyone to know, that I am very grateful and thankful to have Family Hobbies to race at Friday nights.

Shermanator
Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote