R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Track Locator Forum

Old 09-30-2008, 01:24 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default HYDE PARK,NY...NEW 1/18TH SCALE TRACK

RAMPAGE HOBBIES HAS JUST COMPLETED CONSTRUCTION OF AN INDOOR CARPET TRACK FOR 1/18TH SCALE VEHICLES

We have 2 layouts, oval and road course.
Oval racing will begin this coming Friday Night at 7:00 pm, road course will be Saturday night at the same time

We're calling it 1/18th scale because of the size of the layouts, 37'X12'.
Oval will have 6' lanes, road course will have a 6' wide straight, 3' wide lanes in the twisty part. We're actually going to try geared down 1/10th scale nascar on the oval, and we're willing to try anything you might be willing to run. Of course, Sportwerks Recoils will work, as well as mini coopers ans 1/12th scale.
Pics of both layouts will be up on thursday morning.
Come on down and check it out this weekend, all are welcome
http://www.rampagerc.com/
rcracer1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 03:45 AM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Well, last night was the first night of racing and it was a blast.We ran 18R stock,nascar class 4 entries. Losi mini slider, 5 entries. And 1/10th scale TC3/TC4 Spec nascar, 3 entries. The racing was very close and also very fast, with little breakage in all classes. I have pics, but will have to post them tomorrow. The initial track records should be posted on the website along with some pics sometime today. If any of you lookers are local, swing by tonight around 7:00, the road course layout will be down and a few racers will be there testing, unless there's enough guys to actually get some racing in. I know the announcement of the begining of racing was sort of last minute, so we're expecting more racers next week.
Check out the website and get your car ready for next weekend
Old 10-05-2008, 07:20 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I stopped by the track last night to see the on road racing. I arrived just as the track was being taken down.

It looks like lots of fun! Going to stop by next weekend!
Old 10-19-2008, 11:25 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic

well, we've run two wednesdays and two saturdays now...all i can say is these little cars are a blast. i'm amazed at how well they handle and they can be driven fast. the carpet is getting better.....we should be shampooing it in a week or so and that should solve the dust problem ( after a few runs some dirt starts coming up out of the carpet...tracked in from the dirt track...just changes traction a little). other than that, just a blast.
turn out has been small...averaging six cars...but it's enough to keep us going as the hobby shop is in the same location. wednesday nite is cool...three classes so far....losi mini slider,stock 18r, and believe it or not, 1/10th scale nascar.....looks just like martinsville...fast down the straight and slow in the turns.
we're using laps for free timing software and it's working flawlessly, races go off on schedule, computer calls out times, position, winner and just plain runs the show. everyone races and we leave at a reasonable hour.pics are up at the rampage website(link listed above)
Old 10-30-2008, 08:01 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Good to see everyone last night! Looks like lots of fun, I have to get my act in gear and get racing!
Old 10-30-2008, 04:43 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

It was good to see you again Chris, get a car and get down there on Saturday night for the road course.
My Exotek is complete now...gonna give it a shake down run on saturday.
Racing was really close last night...the track is getting beteer...starting to see a groove building on it....every one is getting faster...including Rich.
My basket case /roller won the A main last night....total of 110.00 invested in it and it's one of the fastest cars on the track..i bought 3 new silver can motors to fool with with slow break ins to see if they'd be faster...but the beat up one that came with the car is still killer...can't bring myself to take it out of the car ...guess i'll just run it til the smoke comes out.
We have a second Exotek chassis being built so mod class will be starting soon...i decided to just run a Reedy 19 turn in mine for now...not sure there's enuf room for brushless.
Hope to see some new faces showing up soon...we're having a blast with these little buggers. Rich gives a pretty good deal on a box stock setup....any one local should stop by...you could be racing for less than 200.00 with a couple of battery packs and a stock car body.
BTW..i'll be retaking pics this saturday night and posting them here on sunday...we're also cleaning out the back pit area this sunday to make some more room..stop by if you're in the area
Old 04-03-2009, 04:41 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Well, we had a terrific indoor season, but it is winding down now. Plans are to keep running Oval on wednesday nites thru the summer, and the track sets up in minutes if we get rained out of outdoor offroad, so we'll be racing something all thru out the summer. I'll try to update this thread more often now that things have calmed down for me personally
Old 09-13-2009, 01:57 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

ok...looks like indoor is going to be starting back up again....looks like this coming wednesday will be the first night of oval racing. go to the website...[url]www.rampagerc.com[url] . the site has been redone and all new info will be posted there. it would be really nice to figure out a road course in the space we have...anyone interested should stop at the shop this wednesday to discuss possible layouts and an agreeable night to run it.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:05 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Any word on a 1/10th road course?
Old 11-01-2009, 06:03 AM   #10
Tech Fanatic

okay,
oval has started indoors again for 1/18th scale on wed. nights and 1/10th scale martinsville racing on sunday.

tried out the tamiya F1's on the carpet with foam tires and they were hooked up when you got the tire sauce right. now we have to get the consignment sales display case disassembled to gain the space needed for an actual road course layout. hoping to do it on a friday night sometime soon...any help with the disassembly and the configuration of the layout would be appreciated.

would really like to get this going . it seems that we will be the only place to race on carpet in 3 states.....marshalls seems to be all oval all the time....360 on long island closed last spring....rc madness is having issues getting his indoor track going and even if he does , the layout i saw is very small compared to his old location.
if we can get a turnout. i believe rich will spend the money to make a move, but i also agree with him that in this economy he can't do it with out at least a little hope of making out. 3 racers a week isn't enough.

for f1 we have 6 racers so far....and others ooohing and aaahhhing over them every time they see them. if we get them on the carpet i think it'll take off. no rules have been set yet...and i'd like to have a spec class and an open class...but once the rules are set this time around they have to be firm for the season, or changed by consensus of the majority ( and not just by the majority on one race night...a change should be proposed and not made til all active racers have had their say)
as far as the spec class is concerned, rubber tires, johnson motors, batteries and a maximum gear ratio should be the rules, open to any 2 wheel drive f1 chassis. haven't decided the battery or gear ratio yet...but working on it. more drivers and input would be very helpful here.
spread the word....F1 has come to Hyde Park ,N.Y.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:06 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Thats great news. I am down for a very tight spec rubber class - spec also meaning no dremel time. let me know when it takes off or you need help building the track.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:07 PM   #12
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracer1958 View Post
okay,
oval has started indoors again for 1/18th scale on wed. nights and 1/10th scale martinsville racing on sunday.

tried out the tamiya F1's on the carpet with foam tires and they were hooked up when you got the tire sauce right. now we have to get the consignment sales display case disassembled to gain the space needed for an actual road course layout. hoping to do it on a friday night sometime soon...any help with the disassembly and the configuration of the layout would be appreciated.

would really like to get this going . it seems that we will be the only place to race on carpet in 3 states.....marshalls seems to be all oval all the time....360 on long island closed last spring....rc madness is having issues getting his indoor track going and even if he does , the layout i saw is very small compared to his old location.
if we can get a turnout. i believe rich will spend the money to make a move, but i also agree with him that in this economy he can't do it with out at least a little hope of making out. 3 racers a week isn't enough.

for f1 we have 6 racers so far....and others ooohing and aaahhhing over them every time they see them. if we get them on the carpet i think it'll take off. no rules have been set yet...and i'd like to have a spec class and an open class...but once the rules are set this time around they have to be firm for the season, or changed by consensus of the majority ( and not just by the majority on one race night...a change should be proposed and not made til all active racers have had their say)
as far as the spec class is concerned, rubber tires, johnson motors, batteries and a maximum gear ratio should be the rules, open to any 2 wheel drive f1 chassis. haven't decided the battery or gear ratio yet...but working on it. more drivers and input would be very helpful here.
spread the word....F1 has come to Hyde Park ,N.Y.
Why rubber tires for F1 and for that matter gear ratio limits, given the size of your track that shouldn't come into play. Just my 2 cents but I have been racing Tamiya F1 cars for 20 years.
GREGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:15 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Greg, the track is/will be about half the size of Tony's.

They are also interested in keeping all the cars as close as possible.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:50 AM   #14
Tech Fanatic

good question greg....the shop owner is big on "spec" racing...hence the gear ratio limit...but no rules are actually set yet.
the rubber tires are based on the fact that the new hpi car comes with rubber tires, and also the fact that the carpet we race on is not ozite, and tends to be extremely abrasive on foams.
that being said...the tire rule is only for the "spec" class which is based around the hpi chassis.
i'm hoping we can also generate a more open class for all chassis...basically making the silver can motor the only limitation ( based on how small an area we have for track design )
i've run my F103 RM on foams on this carpet and its a blast to drive, and would love to have a full heat or 2, or more of them blasting around.
like i said, nothing is in stone, and the racers are going to dictate the rules.
the more experienced F1 racers we can get involved now the better.
if you or anyone else has suggestions, please feel free to post them here...or stop down to the shop on sunday ( the only day i've been able to race lately) so we can discuss them in person, and you can get a look at the area we're talking about ( it's 20' wide X 41' long, with a small area out of one corner where the shop cash register counter is)
i'm shooting for friday night,November 13, to have the first get together for track " constrction " (probably just discussing layout options and deconstruction of the display counter we have to remove ). if we can get a couple of experienced F1 guys there that night we should be able to get some basics down on paper regarding rules and classes.

stay in touch and please, tell other racers.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:11 AM   #15
Tech Fanatic

i think this "keeping the cars as close as possible" thing is limited to the handful of guys we have racing with us that enjoy the existing spec classes we run.
i'm a touring car racer at heart. use motors and tires to seperate the classes, driving and set up ability will do the rest as far as i'm concerned.

as long as we can get four entries in a class we'll run it, so no one should be turned off by any proposed rules at this point, we'll run anything.
i'm hopefull we can get a cup racer class going, maybe a TA05 class, or a M05 classs, 1/12th class....whatever we can fit on our track area.

if we can get 4 guys who want to run 40c lipo/brushless in this little space , more power to them , we'll let them run.

turn out is the most important thing right now. if we can show rich there's a good core of racers who show up fairly regularly, it'll help him decide his next move ( hopefully to a larger location)