R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Track Locator Forum

Old 08-20-2008, 08:37 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default need some imput on a track surface

So we did some work on our local track lately and I think we messed up bad! The natural surface was a dirt and sand combo with lots of rocks that constantly are being surfaced and the surface just could not hold up to the nitros well. We had a great idea to get alot of clay and layer it with clay. We layed about three inches give or take around the whole track, and packed it with a compactor. What a mistake!!! It is so sensitive to water, too much and it sticks to everything, and then balls up all over the track so when it dries it is like driving on tons of marbles. So we are looking for a solution. Has anyone worked with clay at all? I was thinking that maybe we needed something to laydown on the clay and then rototill it up and then compact it. Any advice would be great. My truck has never looked so dirty in my life, and it is a nightmare to clean.
hobdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:26 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

If the surface below is dirt/sand, then the rototiller is a good solution, in my mind. If you till it up and mix the clay with some sand from below, then drag it smooth and compact it, you should have a good surface that will hold together, but not hold water like just straight clay.

We have a few spots on our track where there is too much clay and not enough sand and it will hold water forever.
sb7979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 02:19 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have a track that the upper surface is pure clay. After a big soaking such as a major rainstorm it will get like that for about a day and there isnt much you can do. Some things to try though is calcium chloride into the dirt so you dont need to wet the track as often it will keep the moisture in it and help it hold together. This weekend Im gonna be experimenting with bags of hydrated lime, its supposed to make the surface very hard and hold together very well. Ill post on here next week and let you know how it works.
brian mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 08:28 AM   #4
Tech Master

thanks for the replys guys. I am interested in how the lime will work, definitly let me know how it goes. When it is dry it is pretty good, it holds together fine, but it is real slick. I was looking for a concrete like surface that holds up real well. I would rather be replacing tires then working on the track everyday!
Old 08-26-2008, 10:09 PM   #5
Tech Master

any news on how the lime project worked
Old 08-27-2008, 07:29 PM   #6
Tech Regular

I loaded 5 50lb bags of lime into my track sat. evening and wet it in on sunday morning. Theres still a lot thats not into the surface yet and I really need a good all day rain for it to get in. I would recommend holding off on the lime for right now, Ill let you know how it gets once its all in the surface and then dries in it.
brian mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:17 PM   #7
Tech Regular

The lime didnt work out too well, it did some good but is a pain to work with and needs lots of water to get into the surface. I went back to calcium but am also trying a few other things as well.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:31 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to shesha
Wink

Well maybe this may help, we spent an entire season over here in Kuwait testing different combinationsof soil / sand etc.....thats nearly 7 months worth of work, and finally came across the right mixture.....and how to lay it down, it's so great that it requires little maintenance.

Just to give you an idea, the track was tested out with a total of 50+ cars from different driving skills for the end of season race, started at 9am finished at 3am.

Also take into consideration that the track width was no more then 3Meters wide, with a total running meter of 137 meters per lap, so just doing the maths a one hour main final with 10 cars for 3 classes of drivers, Pro, Sport and Beginner class, the track was being used an abused to the max, at the end of the race the track had little to no sign of wear and maybe 6 or 8 potholes not deeper then 1cm.

All the jumps, bumps, swirly corners side walls etc were from the same mix.

This is what we used and did for the offroad track and which will be the same for the official new offroad track that you can see on the track locator thread on this website under "offroad track Kuwait"

The soil was a mixture of 70% gravel used for road contruction, mixed down with 30% agricultural soil.

Gravel ( Yellowish in color when supplied from suppliers it comes moist and chunky sort of looks like marzipan when off load from 6 wheelers) they use them for highway construction as the main foundation soil / gravel then lay the tarmac ontop of it.

The good thing about this gravel is when compacted down with a light spray down of water before compaction it really becomes hard to break , and if it breaks it will break up in big chunks which makes it very hard to break in the first place since the rc cars have small tread patterns.

The Agriculutural soil, not fertiliser, is the type of soil used for farming or found all over the place, when mixed with gravel mixture mentioned above, causes the the mixture to spread out evenly and easily to manupilate for shaping of the track for jumps etc....

Just using the yellow gravel mentioned above is not possible it becomes so hard it's like driving on tarmac without grip.

You will need to lay down 2 or 3 layers at a time when doing this and then hose everything down with water and let the sun bake it for a day or two.

I take a reading after the 3 day 3 cms down from the top layer and it should be barely moist.

Now the good part of this mix, if you are looking for no traction situations leave it dry and race, believe you me, now way this mix is going to get deformed, it's like concrete.

When you want to increase traction on the track just lightly hose down the track so you can see a change of color on the gravel soil, which the agricultural soil does when you water it down, that to you means your watering is correct.

Go and enjoy.... if you have questions just post back....