R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Track Locator Forum

Old 03-04-2008, 03:16 PM   #91
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by magilla66 View Post
i remember those days.. ahhh... the old discount hobbies indoor track, racing with marty, his dad john, nick, mark the hammer, jay, mike scube, mike lee, roy powell, erik solderquist. man o man.. the old ntc offroad track. good times..

WOW! who is this. A few people remember my name... but my pops?

Steve I remember running NTC a lot! I remember running the NORCCA West Coast Champs there in the parking lot (OVAL). We would racing at Taylor's (?), El Cajon (on/off road). Shot I remember running dirt oval at Del Mar.

I remember getting some special Team Motors from Mr Bob O. Good days.

Maybe the glory of racing will come back to San Diego again.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:40 PM   #92
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin salgado View Post

Steve I remember running NTC a lot! I remember running the NORCCA West Coast Champs there in the parking lot (OVAL). We would racing at Taylor's (?), El Cajon (on/off road). Shot I remember running dirt oval at Del Mar.

I used to race at R/C Center in lakeside alot. Bob O.- Precision Motor Works, he had some of the best motors back then!

KYOSHO AMERICA.com -Peakmotors.com - kyoshoforum.com - Team SlantEyEs - Hardkore Paint - JBRL Off Road Series - JConcepts.net
nc-hopsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:40 PM   #93
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc-hopsing View Post
I remember those days as well! I ran the NTC track several times, I also ran at the Discount Hobbies off road track that was out back (I still have a race team jacket) I still talk to Mark the Hammer once in a while, I ran for Erik Soderquist's Extreme Motors.......those were the days. Between LA and SD you could race 6 days a week, and that was just offroad!
wow... yea erik was the man. he hooked me up some of those motors to go race out in yorba linda back in the day.. also still have some precision motorworks motors around here somewhere. hahaha...
met a lot of nice people along the way. this track sould get a lot of support if we want to have a great track again..
anyone need some team smooth 1400scr's.
magilla66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:41 PM   #94
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin salgado View Post

its tony germonto aka phil.. sup marty..
Old 03-04-2008, 04:55 PM   #95
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc-hopsing View Post
I used to race at R/C Center in lakeside alot. Bob O.- Precision Motor Works, he had some of the best motors back then!
I remember racing you and your brother there when I was about 12 or 13 and I think he was about 5 maybe.

Precision Motorworks! Silver Mad Mans, Pink Mad Mans, Green labeled Bad Animal. Then there was the Peak Performance 36 degree short stack Psycho Stock. Then the pink can Son of Psycho.

Damn I'm old.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:10 PM   #96
Tech Adept

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Hey Magilla66 and Steve, I saw your post that you guy's raced at NTC!!! I raced there too in the early 90's till it closed down along with some of my cousins back in my Navy days. I was the track treasurer. You guys are talking about NTC in San Diego right next to the bay right?
RcOldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:09 PM   #97
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcOldskool View Post
Hey Magilla66 and Steve, I saw your post that you guy's raced at NTC!!! I raced there too in the early 90's till it closed down along with some of my cousins back in my Navy days. I was the track treasurer. You guys are talking about NTC in San Diego right next to the bay right?
holy shiz... i think i remember you.. yea same here. we ran there till it closed down. then we hit up that new indoor track in mira mesa. i think it was on flanders st. yea ntc nights offroad was awesome. hopefully this new track could set things right for an indoor onroad
Old 03-04-2008, 09:34 PM   #98
Tech Master

WOW.... Its all coming back now...... The worlds at Del Mar in '84. With my Scorpion and watching Jay Halsey with the RC-10 Prototype. I ran oval there as well. Hal Empey, the best annoucer ever. Bob Kuhl, Pat Worcama, Clyde Duncan, the Track Master guys, to name a few. The NTC track was great. Only ran it a few times with my Tamiya Falcon. Also the stadium track was great with oval and off-road. Kim Rethwish, Steve Hodge, Steve Austin, and of course Erik Soderquist. He used to help me out a lot when he had Showtime R/C. Best Parma stock motors ever...... We could be here all night.....

Kyosho America - Peak Racing - KO Propo - AKA - DE Racing - Diggity Designs - Speedtech R/C - Team Slant EyEs
Slant EyEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:36 PM   #99
Tech Master

As for Bob Omea, sore subject for me. Used to run for that old fart, big mistake..... Erik helped me out after that.....

Kyosho America - Peak Racing - KO Propo - AKA - DE Racing - Diggity Designs - Speedtech R/C - Team Slant EyEs
Slant EyEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:30 PM   #100
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default wow

Wow that looks like a lot of work ,but i would suggest to make it a 1/10 scale off road track . Lots of people are driving far to run the electric off road and when arc opens it would be hard to compete with that facility .
ON A MISSION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:41 PM   #101
Tech Adept

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Talking

Yeah I also used to announce at NTC and ran the computer while my cousin called out the numbers crossing the line LOL!!! I alos raced at Ranch Pit Stop accross from the horse race track in Del Mar!! That building is still there too. I used to run my JRXT at NTC, Del Mar, and there used to be a track near the stadium where Ikea is now at. Used to drool over the Kyosho 1/8 scale buggies taht raced there a night. Anyone remember Paul Cost at NTC? he wa s regular. I think he's co-owner of Krazy Kevins down in Chula Vista. My first time at NTC was when I brought my Tamiya Frog which I thought was cool (My first RC car). Then some guy's came with a RC-10 gold tub and I quickly grabbed my Tamiya and left LOL!!!! Thats when I splurged and bought a JRX2. What a difference. LOL!!! That's when I got hooked. Yeah my last race at NTC was the Welcome Home Race for the troops in the first gulf war. I didn't make it to the Lights Out Race before they closed. I used to scarf out between heats in the bowling alley there. I also remember seeing racers dunking their whole motor in a cup of water and hooking it up to a battery pack to clean it!!! I think it was water. Crazy stuff back then. Never forget the 1200mah SCR's and the 1700mah SCE's!!!
RcOldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:44 PM   #102
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hmmmmmm i think we'd be ok with an 85 x 55 area for the onroad track, so the offroad track can be longer. 85 foot long is what we had set up at the oceanside boys and girls club and it was a pretty good sized straight away. What do you guys think?

I race at - SDRC Raceway, CVRC Raceway and SoCal-RC Onroad

My Painters: Fatty Grafx -https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fatty-Grafx/138256833000949
JoelNavarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:55 PM   #103
Tech Apprentice

Rev,

1/8 scale racing is where its at, thats the bottom line. Open your track with what you had originally planned and see how things go from there. I promise you I will be there and at least 10 of my friends. We need a NICE track in san diego as we don't have one. Business is business don't worry about who you steal from FHR, thats life. If your already worried about hurting your competitors you have the wrong mind set. Its life and whatever it takes to feed your family and yourself do it. Do you think jack in the box liked it when carl's jr opened? come on do what you have to do please don't worry about others. Open a killer 1/8 scale track and for other types and you will have 80% support from people. we need a nice track with a nice driver stand and pits.
nicker619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:46 PM   #104
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicker619 View Post
Rev,

1/8 scale racing is where its at, thats the bottom line. Open your track with what you had originally planned and see how things go from there. I promise you I will be there and at least 10 of my friends. We need a NICE track in san diego as we don't have one. Business is business don't worry about who you steal from FHR, thats life. If your already worried about hurting your competitors you have the wrong mind set. Its life and whatever it takes to feed your family and yourself do it. Do you think jack in the box liked it when carl's jr opened? come on do what you have to do please don't worry about others. Open a killer 1/8 scale track and for other types and you will have 80% support from people. we need a nice track with a nice driver stand and pits.
with all the r/c peeps in san diego, you cant go wrong with any format.. if you need any help, pm me
Old 03-05-2008, 07:06 AM   #105
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcOldskool View Post
Yeah I also used to announce at NTC and ran the computer while my cousin called out the numbers crossing the line LOL!!! I alos raced at Ranch Pit Stop accross from the horse race track in Del Mar!! That building is still there too. I used to run my JRXT at NTC, Del Mar, and there used to be a track near the stadium where Ikea is now at. Used to drool over the Kyosho 1/8 scale buggies taht raced there a night. Anyone remember Paul Cost at NTC? he wa s regular. I think he's co-owner of Krazy Kevins down in Chula Vista. My first time at NTC was when I brought my Tamiya Frog which I thought was cool (My first RC car). Then some guy's came with a RC-10 gold tub and I quickly grabbed my Tamiya and left LOL!!!! Thats when I splurged and bought a JRX2. What a difference. LOL!!! That's when I got hooked. Yeah my last race at NTC was the Welcome Home Race for the troops in the first gulf war. I didn't make it to the Lights Out Race before they closed. I used to scarf out between heats in the bowling alley there. I also remember seeing racers dunking their whole motor in a cup of water and hooking it up to a battery pack to clean it!!! I think it was water. Crazy stuff back then. Never forget the 1200mah SCR's and the 1700mah SCE's!!!

I used to hang with Paul alot. We went to alot of bigger races in LA and the Cactus Classic together. We even went down across the border to a race in Rosarito one time. What a blast! Saw him not too long ago at Palomar before they closed.

KYOSHO AMERICA.com -Peakmotors.com - kyoshoforum.com - Team SlantEyEs - Hardkore Paint - JBRL Off Road Series - JConcepts.net
nc-hopsing is offline   Reply With Quote