R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Track Locator Forum

Old 02-27-2008, 04:42 PM   #16
Tech Master

Steve was right, talk about coming in under the radar..... This would be awesome if this does come together. Not to take anything from our current local track, if you really plan on running gas indoor, just make sure you have one hell of a exhaust and make up air system in place so the racers won't get affixiated. I don't know what you plan on catering more to, but it would be just great to have a indoor off-road track period. If you need a hand or advice or anything that I maybe able to help you with, please do not be afraid to ask. I do commercial heating and air for a living, so I maybe able to help with moving dirt and such......

Kyosho America - Peak Racing - KO Propo - AKA - DE Racing - Diggity Designs - Speedtech R/C - Team Slant EyEs
Slant EyEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:41 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Well there are other indoor off-road gas tracks int he mid-west and east coast. So, I am sure there are ways of evacuating the air for this situation.

What kind of dirt is planned on being used for the track?
--- Special thanks to: Dyno, Adam, Todd, and Kevin. Horizon Hobby
cornerspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:30 PM   #18
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerspeed View Post
Well there are other indoor off-road gas tracks int he mid-west and east coast. So, I am sure there are ways of evacuating the air for this situation.

Notice how they are not in this state???? Cal-Osha would have a field day. No City in there right mind would ever allow it. Ever been to Miramar Speed Circuit? They even have trouble keeping the exhaust out and they lied like hell on their business license..... Not to bring this down before it starts, I would not mention you want to race gas to the city when applying for the permit. Tell them electric only....

Kyosho America - Peak Racing - KO Propo - AKA - DE Racing - Diggity Designs - Speedtech R/C - Team Slant EyEs
Old 02-27-2008, 07:41 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:

What kind of dirt is planned on being used for the track?
Yup and its also ALOT colder there. Not to mention, have you ever seen pics from an indoor nitro race........the exhaust haze is terrible. And I've heard people that have been to those races complain about how bad it is at those races.

And Jayson is right, Miramar speed circuit (indoor gas go-kart track for those that dont know) is pretty bad, and they have some pretty big fans inside that place at several of the doors.

KYOSHO AMERICA.com -Peakmotors.com - kyoshoforum.com - Team SlantEyEs - Hardkore Paint - JBRL Off Road Series - JConcepts.net
nc-hopsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:50 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Quote:
Uh, I hope this is no joke. 1/8th scale off road is off the hook and should draw a lot of racers out of the wood works in SD. Should also convert some more on-road and electric off roaders to 1/8th scale. They also make electric conversion's for 1/8th scale. I've seen a few of them run and are pretty impressive. The planned track size is good. Any smaller and it would suck for most. Track design could be modular, as in changed to a smaller center section for electric racers
And 1/10th electric has a bunch of new cars coming out. Electric is growing again. And now with lipo and brushless ROAR legal in all classes racing is going to bigger than ever for electric. There is no "electric" off road track in San Diego. They have to share with the 1/8 gas, who's tracks typically have alot bigger jumps and are alot rougher in general which makes it harder for the novice to intemediate driver to tackle.

And there is no permanent on-road track in S.D. either that racers can practice at on a regular basis. 1/8 gas has (will have) two tracks within an hour of each other.

Just something to consider....

KYOSHO AMERICA.com -Peakmotors.com - kyoshoforum.com - Team SlantEyEs - Hardkore Paint - JBRL Off Road Series - JConcepts.net
Old 02-27-2008, 08:06 PM   #21
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonC View Post
Steve.. you must have been reading my mind..
no this is not an April fools joke i thought about that when i was typing it.

i assure you this is not a joke i get the keys to the space on the 15th of march
leaving me with 8 pairs of family lent hands to build a track in roughly two weeks

and the licensing is taken care of i had to order 8 of these
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/3XK67
ill rip out the skylights and put 2 in each hole to clear the air and with 6 full size roll up doors ill roll them up partially for the air to get in.

also the second floor has an office and what used to be 10 ft of warehouse storage ill be building the driver stand as an extension to that dead center to the track.....pit lane will be directly beneath them building in approx. 30 feet high inside so the driver area is about 20 feet high.

and to answer cornerspeed ill be running a standard fill base with a hard packed infield type dirt as our surface packed tightly of course.

prepare for a nice blue groove as you rarely see them in so-cal

the plan is to make it a stop in the IFMAR series so lets get the word out my rent expensive and word of mouth is the best advertisement available.

let me know if i left anything out.

RevD Up Raceway
RevDupraceway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:19 PM   #22
Tech Master

Right on... Thats a hell of a lot of CFM to be sucked out of that building, no exhaust issue I would think.... If I may make a suggestion, wire the fan 460 volts. It will be cheaper to run, because it will pull less amps. If your wondering who I am, I do start, test and air balance for the largest mechanical contractor in SD. I've been a sheetmetal foreman for years as well. If I can help you in anyway, please let me know.......

Old 02-27-2008, 09:34 PM   #23
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

This is absolutely awesome news! I'm stoked.

Good luck, you will be breathing life into the SD RC scene!

Last edited by strngdze; 02-27-2008 at 09:52 PM.
strngdze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:48 PM   #24
Tech Regular

This is awesome!! I know of several old school racers who will be getting back into racing when this happens.
revrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:17 PM   #25
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Wink HUM

WOW ARE YOu sure?
RCINSIDER.COM
Special"ED" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:30 PM   #26
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Nice!

If you have a 1/8th race day and a 1/10th then you won't have too many issues between the two I would think. I heard Socal Raceway made a lot of money charging for practice so expect a lot of novice electric 1/10th scalers wanting to pay and play so right off the bat you might need 1/8th days and 1/10th days.
1/8th scale tracks can be brutal as mentioned for 1/10th but if you keep the center sections of the track a little tamer then you can shorten up the track for 1/10th and make all racers happy.

..and then if you ran on road racing somewhere then there would be 3 groups of racers helping pay the rent

A picture with your post, when trouble shooting, will probably get more rctech help than without...
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:00 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
Nice!

If you have a 1/8th race day and a 1/10th then you won't have too many issues between the two I would think. I heard Socal Raceway made a lot of money charging for practice so expect a lot of novice electric 1/10th scalers wanting to pay and play so right off the bat you might need 1/8th days and 1/10th days.
1/8th scale tracks can be brutal as mentioned for 1/10th but if you keep the center sections of the track a little tamer then you can shorten up the track for 1/10th and make all racers happy.

..and then if you ran on road racing somewhere then there would be 3 groups of racers helping pay the rent

Thats an idea I was thinking of too.......have electric and gas specific practice and maybe even race days. That way 1/10 novices/intermediates can get out there and not be worried about getting runover/broken by an 1/8 scale car going full throttle down the straight.

Those fans look like they'll work well, except that I noticed they said vertical mounting and you said they were going in the ceiling/skylights which would be horizontal. Hopefully that wont cause a durability issue with the motor bearings or something like that. And if those fans will be in the skylights, how are you keeping the rain out? If the skylight stays and is opened while the fan is on, it would probably mean you couldnt run gas when it rains. Just curious.......

Old 02-27-2008, 11:35 PM   #28
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

FINALLY!!!!!!! IM IN..
magilla66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:38 AM   #29
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Cool

This sounds almost too good to be true. I love that this is happening.

I beleive that there is 10-15 years of old school RC'ers out there that will come out of the woodwork when this starts. For so many people, RC has become a very hard scene to stay in here in SD. With the lack of support from our city etc.

I went up to Revalation Raceway for practice yesterday (1.5hr drive) and there must have been 50 or more people there. NOT RACING!

Just think what kind of crowds we could get up at a legitimate RC track in the heart of SD. WOW practice... What a concept.

CANT WAIT...
Marzac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 06:51 AM   #30
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

The issue with an dual purpose track is the layout. 8th scales like bigger jumps and tear up the track. 10th scale like things a little more technical. Finding a good balance and keeping up with maintaince might be an interesting task. 8th scalers will prevail in most cases (assuming the track is big enough.

Good luck with this. It is great to see places opening instead of closing. I will do my best to come on down a visit on occation! I have an 8th scale and 10th scale cars that would love to get some time on this track!

WWW.CASPER-RC.COM TLR and Tekin setups
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote