R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Track Locator Forum

Old 03-31-2008, 01:04 PM   #271
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpatel529 View Post
What rc class does everyone in SD/Orange County/surrounding area areas run and or would be interested in running if a place to race was available in SD County?

1/10 electric touring car? carpet or asphalt?
1/10 electric buggy?
1/10 electric truck?
1/10 electric 4wd buggy?
1/8 gas 4wd buggy?
1/12 pan car? carpet or asphalt?
1/18 mini?

Since your asking what we'd look for in a track. I'd go for a track that has:

(by the way, what's with 4 1/10th scale options and just 1 in other scales?)

1 x_ 1/10th car/truck/4wd offroad track

1 x_ 1/10th & 1/12 carpet track

1 x_ 1/10th asphalt touring track (optional for me)

1 x_ 1/8th buggy/truggy (large) offroad track MOST IMPORTANT

ALL INDOOR AND OPEN 7 DAYS A WEEK!

NO OVALS... Driving in a circle is so boring.
Marzac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 02:12 PM   #272
Tech Adept

San Diego has a wide spectrem of drivers. So all types of racing would be great for the area.

Marzac2 have you ever raced oval? Trust me its a lot more fun then you think.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:45 PM   #273
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by POUNDITRACING View Post
ya the other one is a little smaller.

I heard that there have been papers signed for a track in Mira Mesa. As of the last couple days.
Care to comment REVDUP!!!
revrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:12 PM   #274
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrace View Post
Care to comment REVDUP!!!
pounditracing is b.s.ing you revrace,this guys building ,so called deal fell threw.now he is looking for new building and he doesn't even know in what area anymore,anyways it is 1 hour till april 1st-so let the apr. fool's jokes fly on this post,i am starting to enjoy the entertaining humor.
fred71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 01:23 AM   #275
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

San Diego has a diverse, vibrant racing community just like any other large city. The problem is as it has always been: property values. To put together a serious track, you either need an independently wealthy person who is willing to just buy a building and take a loss on it, or a business with enough financial backing to pull all of the right moves and make a premiere facility that will eventually pay for itself -- and that takes a whole lot of time and money.

The one sad thing I see is the backlash that some of these guys, wishful thinkers that they may be, seem to get when they try to start something up. There are a lot of us here that would love to get a track going in the area. I'd race every week if I didn't have to drive for two hours to get to a stable on road track. I think it can be done but it will take a lot of things falling into place to make it happen.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:52 PM   #276
Tech Adept

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

How about saving a current track in place like Palomar Raceway. I've never raced there but was about to until the director of the track left and they closed the forums down. I think if a few of us, say 10 serious players come together and pitch in to clean up the track and get it exposed, maybe something good might come out of it. We may not even need to invest any $$$ to get it up and running. Palomar R/C Flyers has everything in place (ie. driver stand, pits, parking, fencing...etc). If no one person wants to take charge becuase of not having enough time, ,maybe 5 of us can volunteer as director to back each other up if one of us can't make it every weekend or the monthly meetings they have. Palomar is situated right between to major cities within an hour drive to the track. My
$.02 cents.
RcOldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:01 PM   #277
Tech Adept

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Oh and forgot to add, there's plenty of space there to get an on-road track going but will have to raise fundage for that to lay asphalt down and the other ammenities. Maybe that can happen if we can generate positive cash flow at the dirt track. I know I may make it sound easy but all it takes is a dedicated and cohesive group. It'll be hard but with a team, everyone can share the responsibilities. One person in charge of track maintenance, another to handle the finances, someone to handle pit/parking maintenance, one to go to the monthly meetings and act as liason to the track managers above. I may be rambling words but it's better than one person doing it all and failing. Just a thought!!! Bring it on!!!
RcOldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:32 PM   #278
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

RCOLDSCHOOL

I LIKE WHAT YOU HAD TO SAY ABOUT PALOMAR. MAYBE REVDUP SHOULD LOOK INTO IT. I WAS ABOUT TO GET A MEMBERSHIP AT PALOMAR THEN THINGS STARTED TO FALL OUT OF PLACE AND NOW THE DRIVERS STAND MAYBE DEMOED. ALOT OF NEGATIVITY GOING ON, ON THERE FORUM. NOW I'M GOING TO TRYOUT BARONA.
H.A.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:07 AM   #279
Tech Adept

Thats what they were trying to do. But unfortunately all of the red tape that the flying club has. It wont happen.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:40 AM   #280
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Sounds like none of you have raced there. The dirt is horriable. The location is great but the flying club dosen't like the typical personality of a racer. A race track there will never work. I raced there from their opening day untill the end of their series that they had a few years ago. After that there were some really big prolbems: Power, Watter, Race director.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:13 AM   #281
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The helicopter guys complained about the dust getting on/in their stuff. That was a major issue. The regular airfield is far enough away for the track to not be a problem.

The dirt definately wasnt the greatest, but its offroad. You need to adapt to conditions.

The track has the makings of real facility. The location is good and easy to get to. Its too bad someone with some money cant get in there and really do something with it and show the Flyers club that its worth keeping.

KYOSHO AMERICA.com -Peakmotors.com - kyoshoforum.com - Team SlantEyEs - Hardkore Paint - JBRL Off Road Series - JConcepts.net
nc-hopsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 02:33 PM   #282
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marzac2 View Post
NO OVALS... Driving in a circle is so boring.
Yea, because it requires perfection, over and over, shaving hundredths off laps, even thousandths, the most ridiculously minute setup changes, even at a club level. It's not like the "everyone dive for turn 1 and hope you survive and come out in the lead" of touring cars... Have you seen a 3.5brushless 4cell oval race? Makes 3.5 6cell touring look like stock 1/18. At least to me it does.

Turn on Speed Channel, look for the Rolex sports cars on Daytona, I swear it's on more than Nascar. Anyways, it's a giant circle, with a road course inside! What a marvel of modern engineering, someone figured out that you could have both in the same place. If Revdup and his investors have a brain, they'll make both, a road course with an oval around the outside. DHW had one, SoCal had one, granted, both went under, but not for that reason. If they want this thing to survive, they have to cater to as many people as they can without cutting anyone off. If they make an oval/road course, and no one wants to run oval, big whoop, no wasted space because the oval becomes part of the road course. If no one wants to run road (yes I know it won't happen), the road course sits there until they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpatel529 View Post
1/10 electric touring car? carpet or asphalt?
1/10 electric buggy?
1/10 electric truck?
1/10 electric 4wd buggy?
1/8 gas 4wd buggy?
1/12 pan car? carpet or asphalt?
1/18 mini?
I think the best thing in the world would be a carpet banked oval with a road course in the middle, or very smooth asphalt that can have foam tires run on it. Then I could use both all 3 of my Agitators (1/10 oval, 1/12 pan, and 1/10 pan (as if that class will ever come back)) as well as my touring car, my M18, and my Scalpel. I do have a large interest in racing Oval, maybe because I have a chance of being good at it, my father as well.

Is there anyone here besides me that wants to run 1/12? I can't imagine anything more fun. The car does what you tell it!

What we need, assuming Revdup is still getting on with things, and assuming they really haven't 100% decided what the track will be, is a real Poll of what people would like to race on what surface. Chirag's the only one that made an attempt at it, but we need something more official if we want real answers.
HVAC25000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 08:40 PM   #283
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to cpatel529 Send a message via Yahoo to cpatel529

I agree with the poll. That was the reason I tried to start a impromptu one to try and get some kind of information flow but it didnt move as far along as I expected.

I run touring cars and a 1/12 Gen X. I would love to race both of them upon my return to SD (hence my activity in this thread). Also run a X-60 truck that I built but that has been shelved due to my desire to run carpet.

I also think that a carpet track that had portable jumps would be nice so that it could cater to the electric buggies and trucks and touring cars and pan cars.

Chirag
Old 04-06-2008, 11:49 AM   #284
Tech Rookie

Unhappy

The Palomar racetrack was my favorite.
1. Great Location, fast and easy to get to. 2. Large layout. You can really open the cars up and the large area allows many different layouts, no blind spots and no real tough areas that make your car crash.
The dirt is bad only because of neglect. If you can find and view the old videos of when it was new it has a sweet surface. 3. The driver stand is really nice and roomy too.

But the Palomar track is over. By uncontrollable means.
1. The club itself (the plane and helli guys) hate the track and care about it nill. They are happy it is gone.
2. The township hates it. They took away the water. Then the electricity in an attempt to shut it down. When that did not work......
3. They put $10,000 permits in place that have to be paid to keep it open. The driver stand won't pass their inspection without more $$
4. They passed a new rule that says you can't charge people $$$ to race.

That is allot for any race director working for free to overcome.
Mugen uses that track to test and even they can't help to save it.
R.I.P. Palomar you will be missed.

http://www.palomarraceway.com/viewpage.php?page_id=7

Last edited by MadMakr; 04-06-2008 at 04:55 PM.
MadMakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 12:51 PM   #285
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

So instead of racing little cars, the fine citizens of that particular area in poway would rather have us sit around and shoot up crack, like the rest of the people in san diego who don't have a hobby? yes yes. At least that's always been my theory, people enjoy ruining other peoples' fun because they don't like seeing people who are happier than them, they want everyone down in that same miserable hole they are. Out of sight, out of mind.

And plane guys are just grumpy and old

Revdup, give us an update! Or someone who knows him, give him a quick 2 minute call and ask for any updates you can give us cuz clearly he's too busy to get on here and tell us himself!
HVAC25000 is offline   Reply With Quote