Old 04-23-2010, 08:26 PM   #7621
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Is Sunday a test and tune or race day...See all Sunday if weather holds out
lovell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 05:51 PM   #7622
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

It is scheduled to be a race day. According to Weather Channel, severe thunderstorms and rain at 80 percent chance. I will check weather and track at 7 am and post accordingly.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:55 PM   #7623
Tech Addict

Maybe I missed it...what time is the track open and what time does racing start
Old 04-24-2010, 05:58 PM   #7624
Tech Fanatic

Racing this year will be at 1pm, unless its a special race. Track/Timing system. will open at 11am.

Black pipe will go down at 9 am tomorrow if we are not in the middle of a downpour.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:23 PM   #7625
OSR
Tech Fanatic

Default Reminder

The E-SCALE cash pay-out race will be 4 - 6 weeks into the season. I will get with Rob so we can schedule it when there are no other local RC events. $ 200.00 dollars will be up for grabs with the 1st place finisher getting $ 100.00 !
NOT EVERYONE GETS A CHANCE TO OWN AND RACE RC CARS....IF YOU DO, YOU SHOULD APPRECIATE IT!
OSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 06:30 PM   #7626
OSR
Tech Fanatic

Default E-Scale News

I've been told that Dan Harding has aquired an RC8 previously owned by Blizzard Enterprises president - Travis Chanberlain. Dan plans to convert the unit to E-scale.
NOT EVERYONE GETS A CHANCE TO OWN AND RACE RC CARS....IF YOU DO, YOU SHOULD APPRECIATE IT!
OSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:30 PM   #7627
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Cpaurl had got hit today to go to reading and race.cash race it was.there was 21 buggies.Anthony mezarro took first.some other guy got second.and I got third in the a main.there were three mains in buggy. I would like to make it there tommorrow cor the race.but I have to go to Bethlehem to visit with zach tomorrow.he goes back to get another surgery on the 28th of this month.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:00 AM   #7628
Tech Fanatic

Default Weather Report

Well, it rained all night. There is no standing water on the track like last year. But track is mushy. According to the local weather team:

"Showers and some steadier rain will linger into Sunday morning. A warm front will be trying to push northward into the area. There will be showers and strong thunderstorms developing during the afternoon."

Chance of rain is 60-90% percent. Doesn't look good for racing. April sucks...

On a better note, all this rain on a freshly built track will actually help it. It will settle and pack the dirt/clay.

I understand everyone is dying to race, myself included.
There is no chance of rain for next weekend. Looks like we will have to settle for opening day for Test and Tune Saturday and Racing on Sunday. Works out great, first race will be a trophy race.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:12 AM   #7629
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default start time

hey Rob,
keep yer head up, better weather will come, and i'm sure the track will be great!
couple ?'s for you, what is the start time for sunday?, probably wont be there saturday, as i'm plannin to go to the night race at Drums as of now on saturday night.
And, i was wondering about the oval thing, havnt heard anything about it, is it still a go?

looking forward to the new layout, and trying it out with the truggy, if not sct, and 4x4 sct aswell.

I-zuk
LCRC "the best offroad on the eastcoast."
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 06:27 PM   #7630
Tech Fanatic

Oval will be in by mid to late May. I didn't want both tracks opening at the same time. I'm really glad I planned it that way back in December, with my emergency surgery and the nasty snowfalls we had, not to mention the rain storms as of late. It worked out much better.

We tried to work with an experienced track builder, he was too busy when it was time to start. Then we tried working with another guy, but he would have had to work on a much smaller scale than I wanted.

When both of them fell through, We had to start the tear down and rebuild ourselves. Running a Bobcat effectively looks easier than it is. LOL. And the dirt/clay we were scalping from the track uncovered major rocks and debris, as many of you know. Finding a dirt screener that will come to your site when you have less then 10 triaxles of dirt is non-existant around here. Trucking to the screener is quite expensive too.

So, the next best option was NEW dirt. I found a gentleman that has 7 acres of red clay locally, wait till you see this stuff. While screening our loads, his screen broke on his screener. So, he will be providing much more of this red stuff, as his screen is fixed. I was able to find another guy that could provide a 35% clay mixture with some sand in it, and he had mounds of it all ready for us. I had 4 loads of new dirt brought in. If someone ever says the saying " Dirt Cheap", call them a liar. LOL.

The new layout is much larger, both in length and width. It has a technical feel to it too. Of all the videos I have seen of the old Altoona Raceway, I have never seen a track like this. Berms, elevation changes, step ups, step downs and whoops to name a few.

My biggest quest for the new track was drainage. Since the Altoona Raceway is on a flat piece of ground with no variance in grade at all, drainage was always horrible. This layout and our drain grooves are working 100%. With all the rain we had last night, when I arrived at the track this AM, there was no standing water. The fresh track was mushy, but no water. I'm very excited about that. I'm hoping you all will be as well.

From the new 40' drivers stand, there are no blind spots and everyone, including handicap drivers will have the same vantage point. This is another thing I am excited about too.

I apologize again for no racing today but we will be racing before you know it. 1 pm sunday will be here before you know it.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:34 PM   #7631
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Good deal Rob, I hope to make it for Sunday!
Old 04-26-2010, 07:53 PM   #7632
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default sweet

looking forward to it, and the weather is looking like mid 70's and sunny
LCRC "the best offroad on the eastcoast."
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:55 PM   #7633
Tech Champion

some recent pics of the buggy in action.
Attached Thumbnails
ALTOONA RACEWAY FORUM-4554311853_a40eb90220.jpg   ALTOONA RACEWAY FORUM-4554447001_567bf89a89.jpg   ALTOONA RACEWAY FORUM-4554924312_88c80ce49a.jpg  
Old 04-28-2010, 06:24 PM   #7634
Tech Champion

It's been really quit in here.what's up everyone?
Old 04-29-2010, 03:43 PM   #7635
Tech Addict

Is May 1st still the race day...on the track's site it says Saturday is race day?
What time does the track open for practice and racing start?

I stopped by the track today and I see a lot of work has gone into the track...the drivers stand is amazing...

See everyone this weekend

Thanks