R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Track Locator Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-24-2010, 07:01 PM   #7081
Tech Master
 
Ed237's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Dudley PA
Posts: 1,431
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

This is a video of one of the Short Course Truck A Mains. Its high def and you can see how nice the electric track was:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW4dlp0b6-Q

It was literaly like night and day between the 1/10 electric track and the 1/8 nitro track. Not only was it like July in the electric track, but the racing was clean (for the most part) and nobody was allowed to take short cuts whenever they felt like it.
__________________
Ed Toth

LCRC Raceway and Bumps & Jumps.
Ed237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:26 PM   #7082
Tech Adept
 
cougarcruisin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: DuBois, PA
Posts: 134
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to cougarcruisin
Default hello

Motoroma looked like a lot of fun..

Well my name is Steve I'm from DuBois, PA.. sometimes feels as if I'm the only one in the area with the RC passion. Anyways I'm a noob when it comes to RC.

My dad built a Tamiya buggy for me when I turned 13 (10 years ago) and was hooked ever since.

Roughly last year I got back into the hobby and purchased a tamiya tt-01 and transformed it into a street drifter after watching the 1/10 scale rc drifting videos on youtube. It was fun, but not fun at all when your drifting by yourself... ha.

So after watching the Traxxas 3905 commericials on youtube I purchased one of these beasts. Again its fun, but I live in-town and my yard isn't the biggest in the world. Plus there is only so many 20 yard long ovals you can do with it before it loses it's fun factor. I have a feeling if I were to race this bad boy I'd be landing bad and snapping parts like crazy!

So I come across Altoona Raceway, hmmm well its not in DuBois, but i'm sure it would be worth a drive some weekend. Since the slashes are pretty much a stock class I suppose someone new like me could fit in well with some practice.

What sort of slash setups are accepted, I checked out the rules section on the website but It didn't mention the 2.4ghz rtr slashes w/ the 7 cell or if they had to be 6cell 2wd??

Better question is... could anyone lead me to a website with a good RTR slash that would meet all of Altoona's track requirements.Or even used setups that someone may be looking to change classes? I would like to look into getting more into this hobby (well as much as my wife would agree upon).


Thanks and hopefully will have the chance of meeting with everyone soon.
cougarcruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:49 PM   #7083
Tech Champion
 
morris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: jersey shore pa
Posts: 5,564
Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarcruisin View Post
Motoroma looked like a lot of fun..

Well my name is Steve I'm from DuBois, PA.. sometimes feels as if I'm the only one in the area with the RC passion. Anyways I'm a noob when it comes to RC.

My dad built a Tamiya buggy for me when I turned 13 (10 years ago) and was hooked ever since.

Roughly last year I got back into the hobby and purchased a tamiya tt-01 and transformed it into a street drifter after watching the 1/10 scale rc drifting videos on youtube. It was fun, but not fun at all when your drifting by yourself... ha.

So after watching the Traxxas 3905 commericials on youtube I purchased one of these beasts. Again its fun, but I live in-town and my yard isn't the biggest in the world. Plus there is only so many 20 yard long ovals you can do with it before it loses it's fun factor. I have a feeling if I were to race this bad boy I'd be landing bad and snapping parts like crazy!

So I come across Altoona Raceway, hmmm well its not in DuBois, but i'm sure it would be worth a drive some weekend. Since the slashes are pretty much a stock class I suppose someone new like me could fit in well with some practice.

What sort of slash setups are accepted, I checked out the rules section on the website but It didn't mention the 2.4ghz rtr slashes w/ the 7 cell or if they had to be 6cell 2wd??

Better question is... could anyone lead me to a website with a good RTR slash that would meet all of Altoona's track requirements.Or even used setups that someone may be looking to change classes? I would like to look into getting more into this hobby (well as much as my wife would agree upon).


Thanks and hopefully will have the chance of meeting with everyone soon.
thats good you might come and check out altoona.as far as racing a slash they are really good trucks...and they hold there own against the other sct out there.you can use a radio/rx you want.you just have to use your stock esc and servo.2s lipo or a 6 cell nimh.and you have to use the tires that came in the kit.
i hope this info helps out.

also they are allowing anything aftermarket that will make the truck stronger...but nothing that will make the truck faster.

hope to meet you in the future..
__________________
AE/VIPER/XPERT/DIRTCHEAPRC.COM/JCONCEPTS
A big thx to all the tracks that I race at:cause if it wasnt for these guys..we wouldnt have a place to race our r/c cars!!!
morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:03 PM   #7084
Tech Adept
 
cougarcruisin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: DuBois, PA
Posts: 134
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to cougarcruisin
Default

Are the slashes the 4x4 or 2wd that race at altoona?
cougarcruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:29 PM   #7085
Tech Master
 
Nighthawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cogan Station, PA.
Posts: 1,859
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default slashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarcruisin View Post
Are the slashes the 4x4 or 2wd that race at altoona?
Hey man,, sounds like your in for a treat in this hobby.

as far as the slashes go, there is deffinitly 2wd spec racing at altoona, as well as all the other tracks in the area, the 4x4, with it just coming out, isnt realy set in stone yet, but i know alot of people have them (myself included) and plan to race them this summer, actuly i already am and have been through the winter at Richfield Raceway, and at bumps and jumps.
__________________
WWW.TMRLARGESCALE.COM
Threshold Racing
WWW.RICHFIELDRACEWAY.COM
LCRC "the best offroad on the eastcoast."
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:59 AM   #7086
Tech Champion
 
jmackani's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Shippensburg
Posts: 5,604
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed237 View Post
This is a video of one of the Short Course Truck A Mains. Its high def and you can see how nice the electric track was:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW4dlp0b6-Q

It was literaly like night and day between the 1/10 electric track and the 1/8 nitro track. Not only was it like July in the electric track, but the racing was clean (for the most part) and nobody was allowed to take short cuts whenever they felt like it.
If you do not not have a hidef capable computer, you will not be able to use the hidef viewing option.
jmackani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:31 AM   #7087
Tech Master
 
Ed237's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Dudley PA
Posts: 1,431
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Steve, I remember doing figure 8's in my driveway and chasing my cat with my stadium truck for about a year when the feeling came over me "Now what?"

If you considering racing, the best thing to do before you buy anything is to visit tracks near you in person. Walk around the pits and ask a few questions. We are very laid back and helpfull at Altoona and it would be a great place for you to start racing.

There is also a track in Sarver called McCulloughs that has an indoor track and they race electric Short Course on Saturdays.

I'm not familiar with Traxxas vehicles, but if my understanding is correct, the 3905 is the EMaxx? I cant answer for McCulloughs, but, I am sure the Altoona Raceway Owner, Rob Wike, will let you race your EMaxx in Sportsmans so you can get started without having to buy a whole new vehicle.

Hope to see you soon.
__________________
Ed Toth

LCRC Raceway and Bumps & Jumps.

Last edited by Ed237; 02-25-2010 at 01:17 PM.
Ed237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:10 AM   #7088
Tech Adept
 
cougarcruisin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: DuBois, PA
Posts: 134
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to cougarcruisin
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed237 View Post
Steve, I remember doing figure 8's in my driveway and chazing my cat with my stadium truck for about a year when the feeling came over me "Now what?"


Hope to see you soon.
Hey thanks for the words of wisdom.... I'll be sure to visit the track prior to really forking out some cash on a new setup. The e-maxx is great for bashing out in the yard, but from watching some other the youtube vids of emaxxs racing they look and appear to be too big and bulky to maneuver over bumps and turns.

Roughly how many rc enthusiasts visit a track on a weekend? What about frequencies I can imagine several people will have the same radio frequency, how does that work? It appears I need to visit the track and ask questions and observe or is there a website out there for a guide to getting into the hobby?
cougarcruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 11:06 AM   #7089
Tech Champion
 
morris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: jersey shore pa
Posts: 5,564
Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarcruisin View Post
Hey thanks for the words of wisdom.... I'll be sure to visit the track prior to really forking out some cash on a new setup. The e-maxx is great for bashing out in the yard, but from watching some other the youtube vids of emaxxs racing they look and appear to be too big and bulky to maneuver over bumps and turns.

Roughly how many rc enthusiasts visit a track on a weekend? What about frequencies I can imagine several people will have the same radio frequency, how does that work? It appears I need to visit the track and ask questions and observe or is there a website out there for a guide to getting into the hobby?
there are alot of guys out there that are using the new rtr radio which will some with either spektrum or 2.4
if you are still using like the traxxas radio and they use colors for there freq.things...i would think that you would be okay..
__________________
AE/VIPER/XPERT/DIRTCHEAPRC.COM/JCONCEPTS
A big thx to all the tracks that I race at:cause if it wasnt for these guys..we wouldnt have a place to race our r/c cars!!!
morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:29 PM   #7090
Tech Master
 
Ed237's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Dudley PA
Posts: 1,431
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Its not uncommon to see 40 or more people at a track for a big race, but usually its around 15-25.

We rarely ever have frequency conflicts these days because most of the guys at most of the tracks have Spektrum systems which dont use frequencies. But, conflicts occasionally occur when several new people with RTRs show up at the same time.

It might not be a bad idea to upgrate your radio first. Its nice to not worry about frequency glitches whether you are racing or bashing.
__________________
Ed Toth

LCRC Raceway and Bumps & Jumps.

Last edited by Ed237; 02-25-2010 at 06:45 PM.
Ed237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:40 PM   #7091
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Altoona, Pa
Posts: 678
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Ed...just looked at the results...you out qualified some fast drivers to make the a-main in mod truck...good job
lovell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:17 PM   #7092
OSR
Tech Fanatic
 
OSR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 761
Default Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovell View Post
Ed...just looked at the results...you out qualified some fast drivers to make the a-main in mod truck...good job
He even did it despite the 1970's chops on the sides of his face

Good job Edward
__________________
Mike McGhee
G's RC Raceway
Don't be a sore LOSER! You'll look like an IDIOT!
NOT EVERYONE GETS A CHANCE TO OWN AND RACE RC CARS....IF YOU DO, YOU SHOULD APPRECIATE IT!
OSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:53 PM   #7093
Tech Master
 
Ed237's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Dudley PA
Posts: 1,431
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Thanks CR! Unfortunately, I didn't do squat in the mains. Where did you see those results at? I've been looking for them all over.

OSR - I'm currently working on a handle bar mustache to go with the sideburns. You may need to look away the next time you see me.
__________________
Ed Toth

LCRC Raceway and Bumps & Jumps.
Ed237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:12 PM   #7094
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Altoona, Pa
Posts: 678
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed237 View Post
Thanks CR! Unfortunately, I didn't do squat in the mains. Where did you see those results at? I've been looking for them all over.
i don't know how to post links but if you goto r/c tech...racing forum...look for motorama indoor champs(half way down page)...page 12(i think) post 176

on that page will be a bunch of pictures and the results
lovell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 06:34 PM   #7095
Tech Fanatic
 
robwike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 753
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Sponsor Updates :

I would like to Thank and Welcome Altoona Raceway's newest sponsors.

Tel - Power in Hollidaysburg. Thank you Greg. Pole is going in mid next week.

Subway in Hollidaysburg. Thank you Tracey. This is the Subway behind The Dream resturant.

Lowe's of Altoona. We shop at Lowe's, you should too.

Dan Harding's Autobody in Saxton. Hit a deer, see Dan.

Anonymous Donation. All the Electrical stuff for on the utility pole. Altoona will be generator free in 2010.

The Pizza Factory in Lakemont. Thank you Freddie. The Pizza Factory opens for business on Tuesday ( March 2nd ). Stop by and try their pizza. Tell Freddie that Rob Wike sent you.
__________________
Altoonaraceway.net - Central PA's Finest in R/C Offroad racing !
robwike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ALTOONA RACEWAY 1/10 SCALE ELECTRIC TROPHY RACE gixxerman Racing Forum 2 08-13-2008 03:17 PM
R/C Pilots Welsome at the Altoona Raceway - Altoona, PA Reznor88 RC Flight 0 01-14-2008 06:11 PM
SPECIAL EVENTS COMING AT THE ALTOONA RACEWAY - ALTOONA, PA Reznor88 Racing Forum 1 01-14-2008 06:10 PM
SPECIAL EVENTS COMING AT THE ALTOONA RACEWAY - ALTOONA, PA Reznor88 Electric On-Road 0 01-06-2008 05:27 PM
altoona raceway morris Racing Forum 0 05-26-2007 09:13 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:04 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net