Wiki Posts
Search

ALTOONA RACEWAY FORUM

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 11:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NeverATiteLine
I do agree that we need to do SOMETHING to get the people to come back out and race, but I am out of ideas on how/what to do to get them to come out.....any ideas anyone???
Build a time machine and do away with Bush before he ruins the economy
Old 07-20-2009, 11:39 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by gixxerman
Hey Alex, good to hear from ya! Unfortunatley the Slash class has been hit-or-miss as of late, but well do a roll call for the 19th and hopefully get some guys to come out!

Roll Call: who's in for Slash next weekend?
I was in no WAY SHAPE OR FORM, saying that I would not SUPPORT TRS, I was just stating what I hear over and over and over in the pits, that no one else wants to post.

The main reason for doing roll call is simply because of the low turn out at the track this past summer. 1/8th dosent need a roll call, I have never seen a day (when enough people do show up to race) that didnt have enough scales to run, on the other hand the other classes seem to fade in and out. i Like the roll call for several reasons, 1. If there is not gonna anyone there to race against, you can go elsewhere 2. Prepping, your equipment, loading, un-loading, setting up, practicing (getting the cars all dirty again), only to find out that you gotta pack up and go home cause no one showed up to race with is just no fun.

I do agree that we need to do SOMETHING to get the people to come back out and race, but I am out of ideas on how/what to do to get them to come out.....any ideas anyone???
Hmmmmmm, wonder why I did a Roll Call for Alex?????????????
Old 07-20-2009, 11:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I'm not saying this is the answer, but we should do a track change if its free to get that skid steer. It couldnt hurt if its free-possibly generate some excitement
Old 07-22-2009, 12:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rallyebmx
I'm not saying this is the answer, but we should do a track change if its free to get that skid steer. It couldnt hurt if its free-possibly generate some excitement
Tom, I wouldnt mind seeing a track change, but that seems like a lot of work if the turn out remains low. On the other hand if there was a track change and the surface was nicely laid and maintained and sifted to get the gooners all out it might bring more people, but as I said that is a TON of work and I would hate to see all the hard work and still no turn out!
Old 07-22-2009, 06:15 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by gixxerman
Very well put! I'm in the process of finding that out know! Also meeting/mixing it up with other people your not used to racing with greatly attributes to improved driving and set-up knowledge! I have learned so much this year and (I think) have improved drastically from past years! Again very well put!
Gixx, Sorry I haven't been on here since Ed last response... There is no doubt about any of it!!! You get to run with people that you are not familiar with and are forced to adapt to what they are giving you. Running against the same guys all the time on the same track only helps because it's ultra competitive, requiring consistency... Which is the Key. Slow is fast, Smooth is Faster

I have a suggestion to throw in the box for a way to draw racers back out. Have some type of a Big event... Build a fresh track (Local Racers should help as much as the owners) and come up with some kind of trophies or awards of somekind for the whole A main's. Make sure the novice/younger racers all get awards. Maybe even some existing racers get some older cars up and going and have them ready for people who bring newbs to watch. They are the future of the hobby, what better way if they go to watch but are offered to drive... Find a way to draw local publicity so that people know to come and watch (post flyers or have your kids tell their friends, even the internet forums). Maybe build it up as a Pa State Championship, RC Pro doesn't have one for us, and you guys are a centrally located, neutral track It'll take some work but yins guys have to pull together and make things better han what I'm reading,was hoping to come out at some point this summer...

BTW check out www.tkocompetitiondev.com for all of your Ball Bearing needs. There's more than just bearings though.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Altoona Raceway

ATTENTION: ALTOONA RACEWAY UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT

First off, I would like to thank Chuck and Doug for all their hard work with what we know, as the Altoona Raceway. As many of you are aware, the track has become too much for them, with other things going on in their lives. I have approached them about taking over the track. We have come to an agreement and I will now be running the Altoona Raceway. Chuck and Doug will continue to race when they can. Membership fees that have been paid are still in effect. Race day fees will remain the same.

First order of business is upkeep and repair of track and property. Including but not limited to a new floor on the drivers stand, wood around the bottom, new face of pit road. Changes to the layout will be made to the track. Please don't expect it to all happen overnight. A Suggestion box will be put up, I may not use all of your ideas but each and every one will be considered. However, there will be very noticeable changes for the next race held there.

Next race will be August 2nd. This race day will be a CASH RACE day. First entry $15.00 and second entry is $10. Shed WILL be open at 11:30 am. Race to begin promptly at 1 pm. Soda, water and Hot Dogs will be available.

I would like to have 1/8 Buggy, Slash and Sportsman/"Run what ya brung" classes. I will eventually be returning mod truck and mod buggy back into the mix.

I need to get the regulars back, the past racers and any new people to the hobby.

Alot of work will be done this weekend to the grounds. If you are free and are interested in helping out.

Guys, I am dedicated to the success of this track. From the business aspect to the everyday dealings of this Fantastic hobby. I apologize for the main site being down, we are working on getting it functioning. In the meantime, keep checking here for updates and news.

Once again, please bear with me through the transistion. If you guys do your part by showing up, I will do my part to offer you the best racing, best environment and most fun R/C has to offer.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:39 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by robwike

First off, I would like to thank Chuck and Doug for all their hard work with what we know, as the Altoona Raceway. As many of you are aware, the track has become too much for them, with other things going on in their lives. I have approached them about taking over the track. We have come to an agreement and I will now be running the Altoona Raceway. Chuck and Doug will continue to race when they can. Membership fees that have been paid are still in effect. Race day fees will remain the same.

First order of business is upkeep and repair of track and property. Including but not limited to a new floor on the drivers stand, wood around the bottom, new face of pit road. Changes to the layout will be made to the track. Please don't expect it to all happen overnight. A Suggestion box will be put up, I may not use all of your ideas but each and every one will be considered. However, there will be very noticeable changes for the next race held there.

Next race will be August 2nd. This race day will be a CASH RACE day. First entry $15.00 and second entry is $10. Shed WILL be open at 11:30 am. Race to begin promptly at 1 pm. Soda, water and Hot Dogs will be available.

I would like to have 1/8 Buggy, Slash and Sportsman/"Run what ya brung" classes. I will eventually be returning mod truck and mod buggy back into the mix.

I need to get the regulars back, the past racers and any new people to the hobby.

Alot of work will be done this weekend to the grounds. If you are free and are interested in helping out.

Guys, I am dedicated to the success of this track. From the business aspect to the everyday dealings of this Fantastic hobby. I apologize for the main site being down, we are working on getting it functioning. In the meantime, keep checking here for updates and news.

Once again, please bear with me through the transistion. If you guys do your part by showing up, I will do my part to offer you the best racing, best environment and most fun R/C has to offer.
WELCOME Rob, glad to see that post, Im very optomistic for things to come and the improvements you mentioned!!!!! If you need anything, I'm a phone call or pm away!!!!!

AGAIN WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-22-2009, 08:23 PM
Tech Master

Chuck and Doug: A BIG THANK YOU for all you've done for me and for keeping this hobby alive in Altoona! I hope to see you guys on race day!!!
Old 07-22-2009, 09:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I would like to thank Doug and Chuck for bringing an RC track to Altoona. I have met so many great people because of what they did and it all started when Chuck and Doug created the Altoona Raceway.

They carried the ball as far as they could. A lot farther than I ever could. But its time for some new energy and ideas.

I had the pleasure to meet Rob for the first time last Sunday and I was really impressed. He's got some great ideas and I believe we are in good hands. I'm going to do whatever I can to help Rob make the Altoona Raceway a place where people want to race.

If you live in central Pennsylvania and have a RC car bring it to the Altoona Raceway on August 2nd and race it.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:35 AM
Tech Addict

Welcome Rob, I havent had the chance to meet you yet, but you will know its me, Im the fat, ugly guy in the scooter. I'm glad to see some new "energy" at the track and I am very excited to get things back to the way they were a few years ago and with some input from the locals I am sure the track will be bigger and better then ever.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:56 AM
Tech Regular

WOW

I want to wish Chuck and Doug the best of luck in what they pursue next!!! The few times I made it over, the hospitality was second to none and had a great time even with bad luck racing. If I didn't have a local track 25 minutes from me, Altoona would have been my home track. I hope that the Troops will rally around Mr. Wike and see it through, that the track known as Altoona Raceway becomes stronger, making for a future of good times to be had by all!!! Exposure exposure exposure from this point...

I wish I didn't have a commitment made to run the weekend of the 2nd in Oh, but if things fall through I'll be over, maybe with a few others.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:56 AM
Tech Elite

Brad...PM me brother...
Old 07-23-2009, 04:10 PM
Tech Master

Back-atcha Davey boy!
Old 07-23-2009, 09:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Altoona

Hi all,

I just wanted to check in. Seems like the weather is going to cooperate for this Saturday. Up to this point, i have bought new wood for the drivers stand floor, plywood for around the base. I'm replacing the missing step at base of stand. Also fresh paint and a new sign idea. Track changes are coming to mind, and will be great.

I am also working out the details for possible prizes besides the cash payouts for on August 2nd.

A newspaper ad and other forms of advertisement are being finalized as we speak. If all goes as planned the Grand Reopening day is going to be big.

I have decided that entry fees for the Cash race will be as follows.
first entry is $15.00, second entry is $10.00. Part of the entry also requires you to , when not on driver stand. be a Turn Marshall.

It has also came to my attention that during sunny days that the sun is directly in your eyes on the drivers stand. I am open for suggestions to alleviate this. Two viable options, I see, are either building a retractable awning or moving stand to opposite side of track ( Back of stand towards the parking lot ) Option 2 would be at the approval of the Battisti. We can discuss that as we progress into the transition.

Brent, I look forward to meeting you and I am trying to come up with a way for you to experience better viewing of track while driving. Bear with me, please.

Anyone out there that has business owner friends, relatives or associates. I am looking for a few Race sponsors. Please let me know of possible contacts or I will provide my contact info to whoever may need it.

On one final note before I get going. I may have an evening next week ( Prior to August 2nd )for a Drivers meeting. It will be like a meet and greet for me, a suggestion session and a way for you guys to see the progress of the overhaul of track and grounds. I will have full details in the next day or two.

Until next time. If you have any questions or comments, please message me in open forum or PM me. Thanks all.

Rob
Old 07-24-2009, 05:21 AM
Tech Addict

Hi all,

I just wanted to check in. Seems like the weather is going to cooperate for this Saturday. Up to this point, i have bought new wood for the drivers stand floor, plywood for around the base. I'm replacing the missing step at base of stand. Also fresh paint and a new sign idea. Track changes are coming to mind, and will be great.

I am also working out the details for possible prizes besides the cash payouts for on August 2nd.

A newspaper ad and other forms of advertisement are being finalized as we speak. If all goes as planned the Grand Reopening day is going to be big.

I have decided that entry fees for the Cash race will be as follows.
first entry is $15.00, second entry is $10.00. Part of the entry also requires you to , when not on driver stand. be a Turn Marshall.

It has also came to my attention that during sunny days that the sun is directly in your eyes on the drivers stand. I am open for suggestions to alleviate this. Two viable options, I see, are either building a retractable awning or moving stand to opposite side of track ( Back of stand towards the parking lot ) Option 2 would be at the approval of the Battisti. We can discuss that as we progress into the transition.

Brent, I look forward to meeting you and I am trying to come up with a way for you to experience better viewing of track while driving. Bear with me, please.

Anyone out there that has business owner friends, relatives or associates. I am looking for a few Race sponsors. Please let me know of possible contacts or I will provide my contact info to whoever may need it.

On one final note before I get going. I may have an evening next week ( Prior to August 2nd )for a Drivers meeting. It will be like a meet and greet for me, a suggestion session and a way for you guys to see the progress of the overhaul of track and grounds. I will have full details in the next day or two.

Until next time. If you have any questions or comments, please message me in open forum or PM me. Thanks all.

Rob

Rob,

Are you planning on being at the track at all on Sunday? I was planning on stopping down if your gonna be there. I would come on Sat. but I am attending the cash race @ Richfiled. I have what i think is a cool idea, about having maybe a "mini" points series that incorporates both tracks, Richfield and Altoona. I think that would help both tracks attract racers from both areas

LMK if your gonna be there, would love to stop down and meet you!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.