R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Track Locator Forum

Old 12-04-2008, 04:21 PM   #4216
Tech Master

Toby, here's the bottom line......we designed the "rules package" for 2008 not only because we wanted to tighten up racing between members but also to prevent other's from coming in and being tenths to seconds faster than our Club racers. We went BRL, because of the addition of LiPo to prevent the battery war that existed with NiCd packs. One Battery one motor! I do not see how you think this could cost more...........everyone who races at TRS bought one motor and one LiPo with no worry of someone else buying a more expensive motor or battery. Beleive me the rule is doing what it was intended to do......keep lap times consistent from one driver to another! Look at our results! The only thing I could see with allowing multiple motors is the timing. Now don't get me wrong I wish we could run multiple motors beacause I beleive Novak is being out performed right now. So we did't go BRL to chase racers away---we did it for ease of classing and a level playing field for all. It must be working because the 21.5 LiPo class was the largest by far at Oval Masters in TN 2 weeks ago!
gixxerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 04:25 PM   #4217
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to NeverATiteLine Send a message via Yahoo to NeverATiteLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Taylor View Post
I guess it boils down to this.... If I want to race in Altoona I have to get the right speedo (to handle lipo) a novak 21.5 motor (for what looks to be one track) and a lipo battery. Thankfully I can use the lipo and the speedo at Frederick MD's Colesiuem with my 17.5 motor.

At first yrs ago I was against going 4 cell as well till I figured out that I was ahead of the game. Then all I had to do was break 6 cells to 4 cells and I was done. With lipo taking over and the use of 21.5 or 17.5 motors I like alot of other racers will have to shell out more of what we do not have. That is if we want to keep racing. That or like some of the racers here in MD just put the car on a shelf with a pretty body and look at it.

I do not mean to sound whiny or complaining but with the economy the way it is and hrs at work being cut or jobs being pull out from under some. Why do we all want to make major changes instead of running what we already have ????? Thus leaving more money to take care of more important things like food housing and othe essentials.

These are just my feelings on things and my opinion.............thankfully we have the right to free speach here in the USA
Spec is all about saving money as well as being competitive. With spec racing you do not have to upgrade your equipment every 6 months to have the latest and greatest in order to compete, right there that saves a ton of money, I spent a ton of money last year buying new 4 cell batterys for big races, having to keep 4 or 5 batteries at all times in good condition and so on....this year I could easily run w/1 lipo all day long. That right there has saved me well over $150.00. Brushless motors also a major savings, last year b4 we went brushless I had a know 10 stock motors and only 1 that performed well enough to keep up. this year 1 brushless, again major money saver and that is not even taking into account all the brushes and com lathe and everything else that I needed to maintain everything last year.

I dont run pan car anymore simply because I can't afford to replace tires every few weeks, BUT I did do some research and Altoona Raceway has adopted the rules of every major oval race that is currently being run and every big oval race coming up. So if you plan on running any of the sanctioned events then your gonna need this equipment anyway. Its not like Altoona is asking you to buy equipment that you will never use at any other track....it is the standard of the class.

So to keep this on the shorter side, when it comes to spec. racing you buy everything ONCE and you are set for the year (barring any mass disasters). And HOPEFULLY if your hours get cut or you lose your job (as i did) and you cant afford to race AND keep food on the table you will have enough smarts to hang up the racing for awhile and get back on your feet. Granted times are tuff and I myself had to hang it up for awhile back in the summer until I could get my money situation under control. From what I am hearing on the TV and such, its going to take a while for things to come around here in the good old USA, but if it comes down to racing or feeding and housing your family I would hope that making that decision is a no brainer!!
Old 12-04-2008, 07:26 PM   #4218
Tech Master

Holly hell, there's alot of reading on this page!!!
Old 12-04-2008, 07:38 PM   #4219
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

You guys only spec for pan cars right? Touring is still open 13.5/lipo and Jaco rubber tires?
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:38 PM   #4220
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Ah yeah, Brad and Ed saved my TC5 from the perils of Ebay. See you mf'ers in a couple of weeks.
rallyebmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:51 PM   #4221
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to T. Taylor

Well folks I guess once I can get the stuff I'll come up and see how close the racing is under the BRL rules. The good side is since this all started LRP has a speedo that will work with both lipo and NmHi bateries and BL and brushed motors. It runs about 30 to 40 bucks cheaper than the sphere 07 version.

Neveratiteline believe me if things get to bad the r/c stuff gets put away and just cycle the packs once a week till I can get back into it. The good part is right now things look to let me race for a bit longer just not as much as I would want to.
T. Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 08:24 PM   #4222
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyd View Post
You guys only spec for pan cars right? Touring is still open 13.5/lipo and Jaco rubber tires?
Correct..... The only thing that changed from last year is the Spec tire rule! Jaco Greens or CS27's if a shortage remains with Jaco!
Old 12-04-2008, 08:28 PM   #4223
Tech Master

Again, Toby, I can assure you that it's close racing! Check the results on the site, 3 weeks ago 4 of us ran nose to tail for the first three minutes of the main!
Old 12-04-2008, 09:31 PM   #4224
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerman View Post
Correct..... The only thing that changed from last year is the Spec tire rule! Jaco Greens or CS27's if a shortage remains with Jaco!
Thanks. If I get a sensored speedo sometime in the near future I will try to make it out to race with you guys again. I will dust off some serious old school Tamiya TA03 just because that is the only touring ride I have left at this time and would be fun to run it again.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 06:28 AM   #4225
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to goinbrokeracin

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Taylor View Post
Well folks I guess once I can get the stuff I'll come up and see how close the racing is under the BRL rules. The good side is since this all started LRP has a speedo that will work with both lipo and NmHi bateries and BL and brushed motors. It runs about 30 to 40 bucks cheaper than the sphere 07 version.

Neveratiteline believe me if things get to bad the r/c stuff gets put away and just cycle the packs once a week till I can get back into it. The good part is right now things look to let me race for a bit longer just not as much as I would want to.

Toby,
I do not believe you would need a new esc to switch to Lipo. I am currently running my old Novak 4 cell GTB which does NOT have a lipo cutoff. As long as you don't try to run for 10 minutes straight you will never get close to the 6v cutoff. I am sure the same can be said about LRP's. Novak also sells a Lipo cutoff for around $24.99 for their esc's that do not have it built in cutoff. I am not sure if LRP has anything similar.

As everybody is saying. The switch to brushless last year came with an up front cost that paid for itself by mid season. The same will happen for Lipo. I now say the same thing about Nimh cells as I did about brushed motors. I hope to never have to run them again!
goinbrokeracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 07:58 AM   #4226
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

chuck, doug , ed , brad and i had a conversation earlier this year and it basicly went like this.... we made classes spec classes to save everyone money and make racing closer.... as far as racing close... there could be a different winner in TC everyweek for 2 months and noone would be shocked cause everyone is fast... as for pan car... brl rules are bringing the largest fields across the US... racing is tight... both goals we met.... saved everyone lots and i mean lots of money and racing is awesome... for example last year prebruishless lipo.. dan bought prob 6 motors.... 15 batt packs.... this year 1 motor 1 lipo.... do the math.... the last part of our conversation was that RC racing is a hobby.... hobbies arent cheap.... they arent for everyone... we have made classes more than far and as cheap as possible to allow as many people to run.... and its always 3 show up and we will make a class no matter what they are racing.... if ijm wrong correct me but im not real sure where a problem exists... i think all mentioned above will back my statements
fastestcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 09:03 AM   #4227
Tech Regular

Well Goingbroke it looks like the switch to lipo just got cheaper for me. Now all I need is a lipo pack, a 21.5 motor for up there and the upgrade to the GFX for lipo charging as well as a approved charging sack. I can always do the speedo change later
Old 12-05-2008, 11:22 AM   #4228
Tech Master

TRS does not require LiPo sacks! And you do not need a $400 charger for LiPo batteries! There are to many chargers out there to list that cost less than $200 that do the job just fine! I use a Hiperion charger that I paid $150 for that has more features than a GFX, at half the cost!
Old 12-05-2008, 11:59 AM   #4229
Tech Regular

I'm not getting a GFX I already have one and will get it upgraded to do lipo's for 65 to 75 bucks.....as for the charging sack better safe than sorry. Not to mention I think other tracks require them.

Where did you find the hiperion charger ?
Old 12-05-2008, 02:36 PM   #4230
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goinbrokeracin View Post
Toby,
I do not believe you would need a new esc to switch to Lipo. I am currently running my old Novak 4 cell GTB which does NOT have a lipo cutoff. As long as you don't try to run for 10 minutes straight you will never get close to the 6v cutoff. I am sure the same can be said about LRP's. Novak also sells a Lipo cutoff for around $24.99 for their esc's that do not have it built in cutoff. I am not sure if LRP has anything similar.

As everybody is saying. The switch to brushless last year came with an up front cost that paid for itself by mid season. The same will happen for Lipo. I now say the same thing about Nimh cells as I did about brushed motors. I hope to never have to run them again!

Last edited by gindlmi; 12-05-2008 at 02:41 PM. Reason: nevermind
gindlmi is offline   Reply With Quote