R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Track Locator Forum

Old 12-02-2008, 04:33 PM   #4201
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to T. Taylor

Aaron that's why I think leaving the motor up to the racer will only help the racing. I read over some of the BRL rules as pertaining to batteries and motors. On the good side you and the guy 3 pits down are running the same stuff BUT it hinders the groth of technology and competition betewwn companies that make the motors and speedos.

Not knocking anyone or any rules package just "speaking" my 2 cents.......well might be more like .00002 cents now a days.
T. Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 04:51 PM   #4202
Tech Master

Aaron, yes Novak only motors!

Toby, I'm going to do a little investigating on that one! I'll have a solid answer for you by Friday!

I do agree about the motor thing! But I also understand Spec racing and what it is designed to do. Same motors = level playing field which in turn makes set-up crucial! We are finding that out right now!
gixxerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 05:20 PM   #4203
Tech Regular

the draw backs to "spec" racing are 1. Some racers are all set for one or two types of racing on the oval at various tracks which leads to 2 . the same racers might not want to or can't afford to spend the cash for the right motor and battery to run one class at one track. I give my self as an exapmle, yrs ago there was a track I wanted to race at BUT they had a house motor. You know buy it here leave it here and maybe even work on it here. Well that was a track I might have gotten to once maybe twice a yr. So why have a motor that is yours but stays at the track. Same can be said for having a motor and battery (or just the motor)that a racer can only use at one track

What I have thought would be is put a cap on the battery MaH/C rating and leave the speedo and motor brand open. BUT a 21.5, 17.5 or any other motor MUST be readily available online or at the LHS. That way a racer can go from track to track to track to run X class and have his or her equipment be ok from Boston Mass to Los Angeles CA. I figure if the BRL were to sweep across the country it would be a totaly different thing. Right now I think Altoona is the closest track I can get to that uses the BRL rules. By "get to" I mean out...race and back home in a 24 hr period or less.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:18 PM   #4204
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to NeverATiteLine Send a message via Yahoo to NeverATiteLine

well, I just got done putting the car on the set-up station, I have NO IDEA what the hell happened but it was so tweeked it look like it go hit by a bus. Hopefully that was my problem last week and I can get a better grasp on things this week. I was about ready to smash it on Saturday it was so inconsistent, but that is probably why...hopefully
Old 12-02-2008, 07:49 PM   #4205
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverATiteLine View Post
well, I just got done putting the car on the set-up station, I have NO IDEA what the hell happened but it was so tweeked it look like it go hit by a bus. Hopefully that was my problem last week and I can get a better grasp on things this week. I was about ready to smash it on Saturday it was so inconsistent, but that is probably why...hopefully
TWEAK this!

I would say that last lap crash with Scotty on the straight-away put the finishing touch on your car! From where I was standing it sounded like the thud that came from Stritty's pan car when it took flight and hit the side of Fast Eddie's head!
Old 12-03-2008, 10:39 AM   #4206
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to goinbrokeracin

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Taylor View Post
the draw backs to "spec" racing are 1. Some racers are all set for one or two types of racing on the oval at various tracks which leads to 2 . the same racers might not want to or can't afford to spend the cash for the right motor and battery to run one class at one track. I give my self as an exapmle, yrs ago there was a track I wanted to race at BUT they had a house motor. You know buy it here leave it here and maybe even work on it here. Well that was a track I might have gotten to once maybe twice a yr. So why have a motor that is yours but stays at the track. Same can be said for having a motor and battery (or just the motor)that a racer can only use at one track

What I have thought would be is put a cap on the battery MaH/C rating and leave the speedo and motor brand open. BUT a 21.5, 17.5 or any other motor MUST be readily available online or at the LHS. That way a racer can go from track to track to track to run X class and have his or her equipment be ok from Boston Mass to Los Angeles CA. I figure if the BRL were to sweep across the country it would be a totaly different thing. Right now I think Altoona is the closest track I can get to that uses the BRL rules. By "get to" I mean out...race and back home in a 24 hr period or less.
Toby,
Just an FYI. 21.5 Lipo at Snowbirds is Novak motors only as was Ovalmasters a few weeks ago. That along with the entire BRL series makes the Novak motors only rule more than just a regional thing to me. For the faster Lipo classes like 17.5 the open motor rule is fine. I cannot understand how open motor rule benefits the average racer.
goinbrokeracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:06 PM   #4207
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I am beginning to believe that there is not much point in running a 'stock' or 'spec' class on road unless you all run the same motors, tires and batteries.

If you dont, you will continually have to buy the newer and improved versions every 6 months just to stay on the pace because the industry is continually improving its products.

Lipos have gone from 20c to 40c in less than a year and there has been a flood of new 13.5s hitting the market some of which perform substantially better than others.

There are no jumps in on road so there is less luck involved. Running 11.8's will make you a threat in the A Main but running 12.1's wont even get you close to the front.

LCRC Raceway and Bumps & Jumps.
Ed237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:02 PM   #4208
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gindlmi View Post
hey guys, any word on a date for the winter championship race yet? I would like to make it there again this year if it fits into my schedule
ANYONE?
gindlmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:22 PM   #4209
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to NeverATiteLine Send a message via Yahoo to NeverATiteLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed237 View Post
I am beginning to believe that there is not much point in running a 'stock' or 'spec' class on road unless you all run the same motors, tires and batteries.

If you dont, you will continually have to buy the newer and improved versions every 6 months just to stay on the pace because the industry is continually improving its products.

Lipos have gone from 20c to 40c in less than a year and there has been a flood of new 13.5s hitting the market some of which perform substantially better than others.

There are no jumps in on road so there is less luck involved. Running 11.8's will make you a threat in the A Main but running 12.1's wont even get you close to the front.
Ed, I would have to agree on you w/that one. Just a for instance, look at pan car last year....we all switched to brushless speeders and novak motors, but left the 4-cell battery rule pretty much open, the the lap times were anywhere from .5 second to 1 second difference just because of the battery...yet this year when we also made the lipo batt. a spec, the times are almost identical and anyone can win at any time

as far as TC, The tires are spec, and i think MOST of us are running a novak 13.5 (could be wrong on that) and most of us are running lipo, and the competition seems to be pretty equal with a few guys on either end of the spectrum I am pretty happy w/the way the competition is in all classes, but I am not against adding more "spec" items to the cars to make the competition even tighter
Old 12-03-2008, 01:23 PM   #4210
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerman View Post
Yeah Jum, may take you up on that! I will talk to Sam and get the money to you this weekend! Thank you!
Did you lose my number again? I was at McCullough's on Friday and Saturday...my phone doesn't work there if you tried those days. I'm liking the Mugen car and am much faster with it.
KARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 02:26 PM   #4211
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

gindlmi, Were you referring to the big oval / pan car race?

I checked the TRS website and the Winter Championship Race has not yet been scheduled yet.

LCRC Raceway and Bumps & Jumps.
Ed237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 02:41 PM   #4212
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gindlmi View Post
ANYONE?
Sorry gindlmi I overlooked that post! Keep checking the site www.altoonaraceway.com! Otherwise I will be talking to the owner tonight and ask him!
Old 12-04-2008, 01:30 PM   #4213
Tech Adept

this is where spec class is great because of the challenge of car setup it becomes car and driver if you loose its your fault at the sme time spec only can also be expensive dont have correct motor or batteries sol no matter how you flip things positives and negatives will always exist it comes down to each individual and how they feel but to me spec racing has the best benefit to the sport take for example a new comer never ran before at least with spec racing hey or she will have proper esential equipment it will just be a mater of learning car and driving all other aspects are dealt with witch in essence is motor and battery so it allows the new person to be competitive car wise in the begginig instead of discouragement or wasting money on equipment not usefull in the longrun
Old 12-04-2008, 02:06 PM   #4214
Tech Regular

I guess it boils down to this.... If I want to race in Altoona I have to get the right speedo (to handle lipo) a novak 21.5 motor (for what looks to be one track) and a lipo battery. Thankfully I can use the lipo and the speedo at Frederick MD's Colesiuem with my 17.5 motor.

At first yrs ago I was against going 4 cell as well till I figured out that I was ahead of the game. Then all I had to do was break 6 cells to 4 cells and I was done. With lipo taking over and the use of 21.5 or 17.5 motors I like alot of other racers will have to shell out more of what we do not have. That is if we want to keep racing. That or like some of the racers here in MD just put the car on a shelf with a pretty body and look at it.

I do not mean to sound whiny or complaining but with the economy the way it is and hrs at work being cut or jobs being pull out from under some. Why do we all want to make major changes instead of running what we already have ????? Thus leaving more money to take care of more important things like food housing and othe essentials.

These are just my feelings on things and my opinion.............thankfully we have the right to free speach here in the USA
Old 12-04-2008, 02:35 PM   #4215
Tech Adept

spec racing i like but i beleive as long as current equipment already owned as long as it is not a higher piece of eqipment than speced should be alowed i agree with the compitition between companies makes better for all i do love spec racing its nice to be copetitive but this is rc racing and is meant to be fun if you dont have the rite equipment to me it shouldnt matter as long as like i said it is not of faster or higher capacity than speced thats just my opinion it is all bout the fun we can never forget about fun it is what keeps new people coming and the ones already in to stay in it smiling in my opnion have fun run what you have only my opinion