R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Track Locator Forum

Old 08-05-2008, 01:44 PM   #3646
Tech Master

[QUOTE=goinbrokeracin;4709825]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed237 View Post
Bob - I think they are still looking into using voltage regulators with the lipo batteries. QUOTE]

I see. Had me worried there for a minute. LOL How does the voltage regulator work? I have never heard of this approach. Thanks Ed.
A voltage regulator would go between the battery and the speeder and limit the voltage from7.4 to 6.4 I assume! I am checking into and researching this heavily at this point. Reason for no motor change is to keep the cost down for some of our "core" racers who may just want to get a LiPo and not have to replace their 13.5's from last year with the higher wind stuff! Keep in mind also that the track WILL be changed as often as the road course and may include at some point a super speedway! I also need to find out how many people will switch to LiPo because if some are not the regulator would have to be in place to keep speeds and voltage equivelant to that of a Nickel pack. Another thing is to make sure that you can run LiPo vs. Nickel fairly without a disadvantage to either for our bigger races when out-of-towners would be coming to race!
gixxerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:15 PM   #3647
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to TC3MIKE

Why do you need a voltage regulator? Most offroad racers down here only use them with lipo reciever packs in their 1/8 buggies&truggies to bring them down to 6 volts to operate the servos.
TC3MIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:18 PM   #3648
Tech Regular

I don't recommend the use of a regulator for any type of 1/10 cars. If you do, you would be running to the equivlent to 5 cell. Europeans run 5 cell touringcar but they use 2.5 - 3.0 mod brushless.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:29 PM   #3649
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Mike they are talking about voltage regulators only for the 2wd 4 cell pan car oval class. They are already crazy fast with 4 cells and 13.5s.

The concern is that trying to run unregulated stock 13.5 / 7.4v lipo powered pan cars would result in carnage and excessive tire wear.

Theres a part of me that would really like to see them try that!

LCRC Raceway and Bumps & Jumps.
Ed237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:04 PM   #3650
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed237 View Post
Mike they are talking about voltage regulators only for the 2wd 4 cell pan car oval class. They are already crazy fast with 4 cells and 13.5s.

The concern is that trying to run unregulated stock 13.5 / 7.4v lipo powered pan cars would result in carnage and excessive tire wear.

Theres a part of me that would really like to see them try that!
Here's the situation....if half of us want to run LiPo and half run NiMh there would be a difference in voltage from 7.4(LiPo) to 6.4(NiMh) 1 volt doesn't sound like much but would result in faster laps and more speed.......and in pan-car oval thats a huge difference where the smallest things mean so much. I will remind everyone at this point..............this is purely a thought as of right now, and nothing will be set in stone until it has been tested and agreed on! Harding is definately interested and I'll come right out and say I agree with Ed, that there is a part of me also that would like to see it as well!

Enough of that for now, Stober will you be making the trip this weekend? Need some tires!
Old 08-05-2008, 05:20 PM   #3651
Tech Regular

Thumbs up

Ok, I see your point.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:29 PM   #3652
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC3MIKE View Post
Ok, I see your point.
Mike, are you coming up on the 24th for the big electric race?
Old 08-05-2008, 07:31 PM   #3653
Tech Regular

I don't think I will make that race.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:03 PM   #3654
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARO View Post
Tom - You can run my old TT-01 in 4wd mod.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KARO View Post
Thanks Ed! I should be there sunday.

I will run some TT-01 road course this year...not if it's oval again..
I have a tt-01 Sam. I am in the same boat though, i will only come if they do road course again.
rallyebmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 05:11 AM   #3655
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to NeverATiteLine Send a message via Yahoo to NeverATiteLine

[QUOTE=gixxerman;4709922]
Quote:
Originally Posted by goinbrokeracin View Post

A voltage regulator would go between the battery and the speeder and limit the voltage from7.4 to 6.4 I assume! I am checking into and researching this heavily at this point. Reason for no motor change is to keep the cost down for some of our "core" racers who may just want to get a LiPo and not have to replace their 13.5's from last year with the higher wind stuff! Keep in mind also that the track WILL be changed as often as the road course and may include at some point a super speedway! I also need to find out how many people will switch to LiPo because if some are not the regulator would have to be in place to keep speeds and voltage equivelant to that of a Nickel pack. Another thing is to make sure that you can run LiPo vs. Nickel fairly without a disadvantage to either for our bigger races when out-of-towners would be coming to race!
Not 100% sure I am even running oval this year or not, but if I do I am down w/the lipo switch
Old 08-06-2008, 01:57 PM   #3656
Tech Adept

Hi, my name is Gregg and I would like to come out to Altoona and check out your track sometime. I used to race out there when it was run by the Meyers brothers and located behind some bar.

My son and I both have 1/8 scale buggies that are ready to go with new nitro engines that run on nitro fuel.

I am up for Electric oval racing in winter as it is too cold to run nitro buggies that run on nitro outside. My opinions on oval is to have a circular track and run counter clockwise.

Hope to meet everyone soon especially that Gixxerman guy and that ED237 guy. You guys sound like you are neato.

Later
iCeNuTz
Old 08-06-2008, 04:44 PM   #3657
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Golly gee that would be swell. But your cars have to pass visual inspection. We simply don't allow any circus freak 'clownish' pok-a-dot paint jobs at the track anymore.

LCRC Raceway and Bumps & Jumps.
Ed237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 07:53 PM   #3658
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to T. Taylor

Have you guys seen lipo 13.5 in a pan car ????? It's scary fast with 3400 tekin 2 cell packs. One thing I can say about lipo and BL ..............CATCH FENCE around the track about 3 to 4 foot tall. At Mushroom Bowl the last time I was there............ 4 cell nickel ran 38 laps and lipo ran 44 or 46 laps. Both batteries powering 13.5 Bl motors. In practice I was running on about a 36 to 38 lap pace (13.5) and got my doors loosened by a 17.5 running a 3400 lipo pack.

Just passing some info from other areas, and look forward to getting up to Altoona again this indoor season.
T. Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 11:52 AM   #3659
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

no oval????? that blows... im out

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerman View Post
I have also posted the above info on it's own thread in the Racer forum--here's the link ALTOONA RACEWAY 1/10 SCALE ELECTRIC TROPHY RACE!! Keep it bumped up so we get the word out!!!!

Can't wait for carpet to start up, lots of good ideas floating around right now including LiPo 13.5 pan-car, and it appears as though The Great One, Fast Eddie Toth will take back his coveted TT-O1 series which will be returning to road course action!!! Many track changes as well, including the oval this year should provide for some exciting and entertaining laps!!!

In the words of NeverAGoodLap...............MMMMMMMMMMMMMM CARPET
fastestcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 11:56 AM   #3660
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

ed... gerald wanted me to ask if you and brad got your own track for this year or are you running altoona?
fastestcat is offline   Reply With Quote