R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Track Locator Forum

Old 06-09-2008, 01:16 PM   #3376
Tech Adept

MOOOOGEN.

Scott Hughes 4th in the roar nats a main, first big race for hughes in almost a year, not too dusty for the over-the-hill, out of date, can't compete Mugen Mbx5r.

Truhe jumped the start to cheat his way into first and because roar insists on using a lemans start there was a huge pile up in the first turn that took most of the top contenders out of the race in less than 5 seconds (cavaleri included). that is awesome, spend two whole days qualifying for what, to have a huge pile up in the first turn that is bound to cost someone any chance to be competitive at all.

1st place at atloona raceway this past weekend for the Mugenator!!! MBX5R rules. losi and associated

electric 1/8th scale is not better than nitro and some serious work needs to be done to get the cost and technical issues overcome. large b/l motor+ 2x large capacity lipos + lipo charger + large capacity lipo speedo = big $$ you could have a the most expensive .21 and header and pipe and a starter box setup for the same if not slightly less than two giant lipos, a giant b/l lipo speedo and a giant b/l motor. overheating, runtime, fans/reliability issues all need to be overcome. yes I know many people whine about nitro reliability, it just takes a little patience, a little touch, and a little glow plug and clutch inexpensive common sense maintenance.

Anyway, should be interesting to see where losi takes 1/8th electric, just what the RC sport needs, more classes. I'm sure it will be less than a year until they have a sport model with a queer body gimmic and KC daylighters that actually light up.

check out the editorial on page 72 of the latest extreme rc car mag, talks about dynos, b/l motor tuning tools, and hand-out b/l motors being used at big races - wow, amazing what all of this technology has accomplished - exactly nothing in electric racing, same issues as 20 years ago, motor tuning (or flat out cheating), and a "who can spend more on batteries" bonanza. Not that way in nitro, two weeks ago, mcghee beat me (a once in a lifetime chance for AE to beat mugen ) he's running a $150 novarossi 3 port, i was using a $500 os speed mag head, didn't matter, mcghee got the W. cudos to mcghee. Oh yeah, he's also just better than me, lol.

speaking of electric racing, my b44 is primed, painted and weight and ready to kick some A$$, bring it on electric boys, i'm not afraid to swim in your pond even though your all afraid to dip a toe in the nitro ocean

I just love controversy.

Anyway the real reason I got on here was to tell BRAD BLONTZ - I put your seals and o rings in the order, should be here wed or thurs. call me if you want to practice this week.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:24 PM   #3377
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewholeyearinn View Post

Anyway, should be interesting to see where losi takes 1/8th electric, just what the RC sport needs, more classes. I'm sure it will be less than a year until they have a sport model with a queer body gimmic and KC daylighters that actually light up.
Do you think they will make a nitro version of the KC daylighters that actually light up? If so I'm in.

iCeNutz
Old 06-09-2008, 02:36 PM   #3378
Tech Master

Quote:
MOOOOGEN.

Scott Hughes 4th in the roar nats a main, first big race for hughes in almost a year, not too dusty for the over-the-hill, out of date, can't compete Mugen Mbx5r.

Truhe jumped the start to cheat his way into first and because roar insists on using a lemans start there was a huge pile up in the first turn that took most of the top contenders out of the race in less than 5 seconds (cavaleri included). that is awesome, spend two whole days qualifying for what, to have a huge pile up in the first turn that is bound to cost someone any chance to be competitive at all.

1st place at atloona raceway this past weekend for the Mugenator!!! MBX5R rules. losi and associated

electric 1/8th scale is not better than nitro and some serious work needs to be done to get the cost and technical issues overcome. large b/l motor+ 2x large capacity lipos + lipo charger + large capacity lipo speedo = big $$ you could have a the most expensive .21 and header and pipe and a starter box setup for the same if not slightly less than two giant lipos, a giant b/l lipo speedo and a giant b/l motor. overheating, runtime, fans/reliability issues all need to be overcome. yes I know many people whine about nitro reliability, it just takes a little patience, a little touch, and a little glow plug and clutch inexpensive common sense maintenance.

check out the editorial on page 72 of the latest extreme rc car mag, talks about dynos, b/l motor tuning tools, and hand-out b/l motors being used at big races - wow, amazing what all of this technology has accomplished - exactly nothing in electric racing, same issues as 20 years ago, motor tuning (or flat out cheating), and a "who can spend more on batteries" bonanza. Not that way in nitro, two weeks ago, mcghee beat me (a once in a lifetime chance for AE to beat mugen ) he's running a $150 novarossi 3 port, i was using a $500 os speed mag head, didn't matter, mcghee got the W. cudos to mcghee. Oh yeah, he's also just better than me, lol.

speaking of electric racing, my b44 is primed, painted and weight and ready to kick some A$$, bring it on electric boys, i'm not afraid to swim in your pond even though your all afraid to dip a toe in the nitro ocean

I just love controversy.

Anyway the real reason I got on here was to tell BRAD BLONTZ - I put your seals and o rings in the order, should be here wed or thurs. call me if you want to practice this week.
Thank you Douglas, I will be getting ahold of you this week!

Greg......Splatter is making a all alluminum conversion for the new Desert Racer to convert it from electric to gas! Will accept .28-.78 motors! Rumor has it the kit will be all diamond plate and will take the weight of the Losi to 55 pounds!
gixxerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:44 PM   #3379
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Doug, I dont know how your doing it, but your Mugen is hooked up. You nearly put down 16 laps in qualifying! Your average laps were faster than everyone elses fast laps. Its definately making me wonder if the 'newer' generation of buggies are not all they are cracked up to be.

Stober's Jammin was looking good too and if/when he ever decides to ditch those rock hard 'wallet friendly' RTR 'X' pattern tires he was using, he would probably add a lap.

Its not much of a debate right now between nitro and electric. Nitro is obviously more popular.

But, there would be a lot of advantages if electric went all 1/8 scale like nitro. They would be more durable and tracks could be designed exclusively for 1/8 vehicles and have more interchanble parts should keep costs down.

Last edited by Ed237; 06-10-2008 at 05:06 AM.
Ed237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:56 AM   #3380
Tech Adept

I agree with your 1/8th electric assessment 100% Edward, I can see the advantages, I just think that the technology is not quite there yet however I'm sure it exists, what ever "it" is it just needs to be applied to RC. Remember when Sheetz sold "it" cola? Anyway Brad - I hope you meant that you were going to get "ahold" of me in a figurative sense Call me and we can practice/tune some.

Ed, my mugen is just like mcdonald's right now - I'm lovin' it!! or is that burger king?? whatever.

MUGEN RULES!!!! Plus they are the only team with a Hot Blonde Chick as a Factory Team Driver, Kris Moore and Scott Huges are not dumbasses. Losi and AE can have all of the shlumps and Mayfield dweebs, Mugen's got the hottie!

I've been running M3 bowties, red eclipse's and M2 holeshots. I did a 27 flat on red eclipse's that was my fast lap yet. last weekend on a dry track beleive it or not my fastest fast lap was on M2 holeshots but my most consistent runs were on M3 bowties or red losi eclipses, they are about the same (eclipses are probably a little better). Not doing anything fancy, diffs are 5 7 1 front to back, I went back to the stock 46 tooth spur, using the lightened aluminum pillow balls and titanium upper screws - other than those two things, everything else is bone stock. I changed from 2.75 degrees of rear toe in to 3.0 degrees of rear tow in and I'm running my caster all the way forward, minimizing the caster angle for increased low speed turn in response. Also changed from -2.0 to -1.0 rear antisquat, running -3 degrees camber on all four corners and 1 degree toe out on the front. Max droop on all four corners, 400 wt (stock) metric wt. oil in the front and I went down from 400 (stock) to 350 in the rear. Arms level ride height all the way around. stock pistons, stock springs. I'm using the king heads blocks front and rear, mainly because the have a set screw that holds the hinge pins fast reducing wear and tear. Using mugen 1.1 clutch springs (heavier than stock) and three 7075 mugen aluminum clutch shoes. Using a high torque airtronics analog servo in the steering and a digital airtronics servo in the throttle. I've used and RB and an OS engine, both with essentially identical results.

tagalong - there is also a place in duncansville called Weimer's camp ground, right off of I99, 5 minutes from the track. Also, I think it would be fine if you camped at the track, just let me know ahead of time and I will clear it. 814-934-4323. Bring some friends!

Reminder - Cesare Batisiti is having a pig roast this weekend!!

Happy Father's Day!
Old 06-10-2008, 11:59 AM   #3381
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Losi and AE can have all of the shlumps and Mayfield dweebs, Mugen's got the hottie!
Easy there tough guy
NOT a member of Team Terribles!
d4man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:47 PM   #3382
Tech Adept

d4man - you can't argue with their taste in drivers!

Jude and Doug both have mod 4wheelers now, lets get it on electric dudes.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:03 PM   #3383
Tech Master

Quote:
I agree with your 1/8th electric assessment 100% Edward, I can see the advantages, I just think that the technology is not quite there yet however I'm sure it exists, what ever "it" is it just needs to be applied to RC. Remember when Sheetz sold "it" cola? Anyway Brad - I hope you meant that you were going to get "ahold" of me in a figurative sense Call me and we can practice/tune some.

Ed, my mugen is just like mcdonald's right now - I'm lovin' it!! or is that burger king?? whatever.

MUGEN RULES!!!! Plus they are the only team with a Hot Blonde Chick as a Factory Team Driver, Kris Moore and Scott Huges are not dumbasses. Losi and AE can have all of the shlumps and Mayfield dweebs, Mugen's got the hottie!

I've been running M3 bowties, red eclipse's and M2 holeshots. I did a 27 flat on red eclipse's that was my fast lap yet. last weekend on a dry track beleive it or not my fastest fast lap was on M2 holeshots but my most consistent runs were on M3 bowties or red losi eclipses, they are about the same (eclipses are probably a little better).

NO CHIT...........27 second flat--lap for the big bad Mugen on LOSI ECLIPSE TIRES......huh........IRONIC...............and behind Rhonda Skelton is her now boyfriend/Fiance Adam Drake! And besides Mike Truhe is not a bad looking guy?

In the Fine words of Kelso from That 70's Show....

BURN
Old 06-10-2008, 07:16 PM   #3384
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed237 View Post
D

Stober's Jammin was looking good too and if/when he ever decides to ditch those rock hard 'wallet friendly' RTR 'X' pattern tires he was using, he would probably add a lap.
My tires have been deserving of my driving skills until now. I'm gonna see how I do on m3 pro-lines. I stayed till dark again driving, so I'm getting a bit better. As far as electric vs. nitro...... less tuning, less noise, less knowledge of set up, less of an experience... it sounds like using extra thick condoms. You dont get that real feel. I like it raw
rallyebmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:38 AM   #3385
Tech Adept

Stober - stated perfectly!

You are getting faster each week and I know that tires are going to make a huge difference for you!!! Awesome job with practice and dedication!!!! YOU ROCK.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:24 PM   #3386
Tech Adept

hey guys sorry i couldn't make it last weekend after running on sat it was just to hot for another day. i see this weekend that the start time could change if earlier let me know iam racing this sat weather permitting so i won't be there as early as usual

if not enough electrics i just might have to run with the mugenator.
brian roeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 02:57 PM   #3387
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian roeder View Post
hey guys sorry i couldn't make it last weekend after running on sat it was just to hot for another day. i see this weekend that the start time could change if earlier let me know iam racing this sat weather permitting so i won't be there as early as usual

if not enough electrics i just might have to run with the mugenator.
lol the mugentator...jeese....
i just finallt got my internet hooked back up.i wont be able to make it this week either...still trying to play catch up with the financial stuff here.plus i need to order goods for my xxx4.

roeder,
got the diff for the xxx4.will have to put it in and see what it will do for me.although the last i ran my xxx4 it felt really good...will have to compare the way they feel and go from there.

lata
Old 06-14-2008, 06:48 PM   #3388
Tech Master

Happy Farters Day to all.........I will be off tommorow so good luck to everyone, hope all goes well.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:56 PM   #3389
Tech Master

double post!!
Old 06-14-2008, 08:51 PM   #3390
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

good luck all racing yall...on fathers day.....