Lobby for a on-road track? >

Lobby for a on-road track?

Lobby for a on-road track?

Old 04-15-2007, 08:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (98%+)
Default Lobby for a on-road track?

This is an idea as I am trying to solve a problem:

Does anyone have experience in lobbying to construct a permanent on-road R/C track? I am located on eastern end of Long Island, New York.

I am trying to solve my problem as I don't have an on-road R/C track that is close to my living location.

I figure that the project would have to answer these questions:
1. Noise pollution/Exhaust pollution and EPA rules.
2. Predicted audience of the track/Expected audience.
3. Enforcement of rules in surrounding area.

I have a vision of the track to be more themed and creative than the Region 1 Brooklyn track. The track would also be in spec with ROAR guidelines.

I would try and select a public park for its location. There are many to choose from around here.

I figure this would require myself or others dedicated to the project to contact all LHS's/ROAR? about the feasibility of construction. I could raise an initial purse up to many thousands of dollars...

I know this is an extremely difficult proposition. My idea is not only self motivated, but I would like to spark lots of interest in the hobby.

Any help on where to begin?

Last edited by surreal; 04-22-2007 at 04:16 PM.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:43 AM
Tech Elite

It's been attempted and actually we've had off road tracks in public parks before... (Depot Rd Park)

For one you need an actual Club....

You need a park wiling to make the space for it...

Cedar Creek would be a prime spot and the arguement that there is already the Aerodrome and tether car tracks why can't there be an RC car track also...

I'd love to see both an On Road and an Off Road track....

Talk to JimL, he keeps trying but no one is interested...
Old 04-25-2007, 12:57 PM
Tech Elite

Default On Road LI Track

Surreal

Check your PM.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:51 PM
Tech Elite

Oh yea.. I think you too are a Oyster Bay Town resident... If you want to approach the town at a board meeting let me know... I'm a bit older and wiser and a taxpayer in TOB....

Like I said though... I want to see both Off Road and On Road... It's a shame that 8th scale buggy and truggy is probably the most popular class and no place to race...

I tend to bounce back and forth between on road and off road...
Old 04-25-2007, 01:58 PM
Tech Elite

OOoooops... Cedar Creek is a County park... Same thing though....

There is room back there by the Aerodrome and Tether car track...

Only hurdle is dealing with the old times on the aircraft bands and them complaining that the car bands would cause them interference...
Old 04-25-2007, 03:01 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

A long time ago there was an opportunity to put a track in at Cedar Creek. During a town meeting a particularly selfish racer came in and deliberately ruined any chance of a track on county property. A short time later he opened his own commerical track. He sold the track and moved away years ago.

I have been in contact with fliers from both Cedar Creek and Hempstead Harbor. Both are willing to work with RC car people to have tracks put in. They had a scare when Tom Souzzi became County Exec and he put forward a plan to privatize the parks (read more golf courses). That has since faded and the fliers aren't as worried, but the concern is still there.

There are two major obstacles to a track in Nassau County on public land. One is the politics. Make any proposal you want and the immediate answer is "what we really need is affordable housing." The other, which is the one we can do something about, is the lack of organization among the car people. I've been trying to put something together for 7 years and no one wants to put in any effort. Remember the Willis outdoor track at NCC? We can go back there right now if we want, all we have to do is organize. Most people I talk to say it's too bumpy. It's better than nothing, isn't it? To some, it's not.

I'm still keeping tabs on several things. I also have some ideas to try. The best thing for anyone to do for now is keep racing. Head out to Ronkonkoma as often as possible. If enough people start showing up there it may get people motivated.

And keep tabs on LI Hobby Info.com I'm on there every night cleaning the spam off.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:13 PM
Tech Master

vtl1180ny -

I am interested in expressing my opinion about any kind of R/C track. My eyes are exactly on Cedar Creek because, yes, of the fliers and of it's locale. I do live in TOB and DO pay taxes , but I am not a home owner. I am young and unmarried, but am working full time. I have plenty of time on my hands.

I'll take your offer on meeting with the town board on the issue.... heres my plan...

I plan to come fully prepared with materials. I am a professional web developer / graphic artist. Making professional looking documents is my thing. I figure we create a pro website, some good looking docs, cards, and a brief schematic of at least an on-road track. There is nothing better than coming with an idea PLUS the materials to back it.

The idea still needs to be developed and thats where I need other heads. I am unexperienced in debate and lobbying.

jiml -

You're absolutely right. If we have little motivation to do this, it will not work. However, we need to establish a core group of people to get this accomplished. If you already have this group, I would like to join in the discussion.

I understand that you have been working on this for seven years. All that work you have done will be a great asset to get the track going. I think I could bring a fresh perspective.

My thing right now is just to relax and race with the people out in ronkonkoma. I'll be out there every weekend they are out there. Since the season is young I don't want to stir the pot with track talk with them.

If either of you would like to meet in person thats were I'll be. My goal is to least 'try'.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:46 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jiml
A long time ago there was an opportunity to put a track in at Cedar Creek. During a town meeting a particularly selfish racer came in and deliberately ruined any chance of a track on county property. A short time later he opened his own commerical track. He sold the track and moved away years ago.

I have been in contact with fliers from both Cedar Creek and Hempstead Harbor. Both are willing to work with RC car people to have tracks put in. They had a scare when Tom Souzzi became County Exec and he put forward a plan to privatize the parks (read more golf courses). That has since faded and the fliers aren't as worried, but the concern is still there.

There are two major obstacles to a track in Nassau County on public land. One is the politics. Make any proposal you want and the immediate answer is "what we really need is affordable housing." The other, which is the one we can do something about, is the lack of organization among the car people. I've been trying to put something together for 7 years and no one wants to put in any effort. Remember the Willis outdoor track at NCC? We can go back there right now if we want, all we have to do is organize. Most people I talk to say it's too bumpy. It's better than nothing, isn't it? To some, it's not.

I'm still keeping tabs on several things. I also have some ideas to try. The best thing for anyone to do for now is keep racing. Head out to Ronkonkoma as often as possible. If enough people start showing up there it may get people motivated.

And keep tabs on LI Hobby Info.com I'm on there every night cleaning the spam off.
Jim, you know I have had interest in this for some time now....

The Willis outdoor track was OK... Ken really doesn't push the racing because it isn't in his core group of customers... If I remember correctly the boards were given to Rob Betts... Rob has no interest in On Road, he is opinionated, but that is him, he likes his off road... Rob and I were discussing Outdoor Off Road, but I think that will fall on deaf ears also without a decent sized backing.... I'd like to see a track built that isn't the core of a business like SSH and LIR have... Granted the shops can sponsor races there....

As for low costs housing, let's get real here, it's not going to happen on LI... Not everyone is going to own a home around here and it's not even the housing costs but the taxes, mine are over 10k... Low cost housing is not going to go into Cedar Creek park either.... Cedar Creek exists as a buffer to the treatment facility.... There is plenty of room for both an On Road and an Off Road track along the dirt road to the Aerodrome... The biggets problem would be frequency control but 2.4 ghz is putting an end to that anyway....
Old 04-25-2007, 05:49 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by surreal
vtl1180ny -

I am interested in expressing my opinion about any kind of R/C track. My eyes are exactly on Cedar Creek because, yes, of the fliers and of it's locale. I do live in TOB and DO pay taxes , but I am not a home owner. I am young and unmarried, but am working full time. I have plenty of time on my hands.

I'll take your offer on meeting with the town board on the issue.... heres my plan...

I plan to come fully prepared with materials. I am a professional web developer / graphic artist. Making professional looking documents is my thing. I figure we create a pro website, some good looking docs, cards, and a brief schematic of at least an on-road track. There is nothing better than coming with an idea PLUS the materials to back it.

The idea still needs to be developed and thats where I need other heads. I am unexperienced in debate and lobbying.

jiml -

You're absolutely right. If we have little motivation to do this, it will not work. However, we need to establish a core group of people to get this accomplished. If you already have this group, I would like to join in the discussion.

I understand that you have been working on this for seven years. All that work you have done will be a great asset to get the track going. I think I could bring a fresh perspective.

My thing right now is just to relax and race with the people out in ronkonkoma. I'll be out there every weekend they are out there. Since the season is young I don't want to stir the pot with track talk with them.

If either of you would like to meet in person thats were I'll be. My goal is to least 'try'.
I agree with what you have said... I'm going to try and make it to Ronkonkoma a few times this year, I'd like to blow the dust off my 5th scale, I haven't touched it in 2 years....

Honestly though... Off Road would be the easiest to get off the ground... On road requires a paved surface....
Old 04-25-2007, 05:55 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Betts told me a while ago he had a plan for an outdoor off road track for nitro cars. Haven't heard much about it since.

From what I've heard, an off road track requires much more maintenance, wetting it down, raking, and such. I wouldn't know, I race on road.

With an on road track once it's paved it's a matter of keeping it clean. Pretty easy. But paving is big $$$.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:06 PM
Tech Master

Betts told me a while ago he had a plan for an outdoor off road track for nitro cars. Haven't heard much about it since.

From what I've heard, an off road track requires much more maintenance, wetting it down, raking, and such. I wouldn't know, I race on road.

With an on road track once it's paved it's a matter of keeping it clean. Pretty easy. But paving is big $$$.
I agree. A dirt track down at Cedar creek would need a high level of attention.
Plus, as with jiml, I love on-road 1000% more than off road.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:11 PM
Tech Elite

I started in Off Road and I'm back to Off Road again currently...

Yea, it does require maintenance but to build it is substantially cheaper, all you need is dirt... Paving a surface the size of lets say the FBF track isn't cheap....

Remember though, an On Road needs to be blown off and treated so it isn't much different than wetting an Off Road...

Betts has his sites set on an outdoor off road... It'd be great to get some 8th scale buggy racing going on....

I have some idea's.... Just need to grease some politicians pocket... hahahah....
Old 05-20-2007, 07:10 PM
Tech Master

FYI:

There has been some movement on this topic. Check out http://www.limodelracers.org/ and come join us to discuss during the next meeting.
Old 05-27-2007, 04:23 PM
Tech Master

We now have some new videos up on our website. This should give us more moment moving forward.