DRIFT TRACK in AUSTIN

Old 10-22-2013, 01:17 PM
Tech Rookie

Default DRIFT TRACK in AUSTIN

Newbie to the hobby and this is my first post. I want to open a place for rc drifting here in Austin. It will be indoor, maybe 2-3 tracks, a beginner track for other newbies. I want to get and idea of how big or small the following is here in Austin...so if you know anyone who is into rc drifting, clubs, groups etc. in Austin,pm me so we can band together and create a place for us to meet, play, grow and share this cool hobby.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (98%+)

Contact Corey or Steve usernames are Stang Killa SS and sgtsteve.

They are part of CTXRCRC which is central Texas remote control rock crawling...they hold drift events and I think it's beginning to pick up in Austin.

I went to school at UT Austin so that's sorta how I came across those guys both of them fab one off crawler stuff scale and competition rigs.

Not sure how many drifters they have attending now but check out rccrawler.com and hit them both up.

Our Texas regional forum is http://txrcrca.com/ which u can reach either of them there to get more info. Best of luck to u!
Old 10-26-2013, 02:56 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the 411. I hope to create a drift community. I know it's still not well known here in Austin, but that just means it's fertile ground for growth. But we have F1, MotoGP, V8 Supercar Racing...it just makes sense to have access to tracks here.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:33 PM
Tech Rookie

So, if anyone in Austin wanting to create a group/club of drifters post up. If our hobby has a chance to grow, it will be by uniting our talents and passion and bringing new people in to have it grow. I'm willing to build an indoor track to come show your stuff, but we need participation. c'mon guys !
Old 04-12-2014, 05:50 AM
Tech Rookie

I'm a year late on this post, hope someone sees this : ). I have a few buddy's that drift here in Austin. We meet up with the txrcrca guys about once a quarter (Jarrel or Killeen) but mostly use my small garage track or set up at local schools/parking garages.

Would be great to get more people involved. Check out some vids at SG Buster channel on the utubes.

Keep the slide alive! - 5lide One Two drift
Old 04-12-2014, 11:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (98%+)

Drifting's learning curve puts most first time rc beginners down because these cars have to be setup to drift from weight transfer and balance, chassis setup, suspension, weight distribution, and most importantly just the right amount of power.

Anyone can slap plastic slick drift tires on a touring car and lock both diffs but that gets boring fast. On top of that without a one way up front mimicking a real drift course or gymkhana style course is more of a YouTube phenomenon more than anything.

Drifting will die sooner or later. The appeal just is not there any more. Sort of like rally racing and all kinds of off road racing was huge 80s-90s but that died by 2000. Now look at us 2011-2014 and we have combined rally racing with gymkhana.....whatever happened to the days of Pete Solberg blazing through mud at 60-80 mph with trees on either side of his rally beast?!
Old 04-14-2014, 09:45 AM
Tech Rookie

I agree...it took me the better part of 3 months to get from power sliding to actually drifting.

It was definitely frustrating getting into it as my LHS in Austin knows nothing about drifting. Most of my experience is hard earned through mistakes and errors from cobbling together information from forums. I'm more than happy to share my experiences/recommendations as I know how having a crappy set up can make you want to throw your car away.

However, i think the difficulty of drifting is what keeps me in it. There's nothing quite like nailing a perfect line, especially when you get a good tandem going (rare...). And of course the minute you turn the camera's on and intentionally try to do it...then it's fail time.

Most of us here are now running CS. My cars are 1.8 and 2.14 (MST-01D and Sakura D3, respectively).

As I mentioned above, I'm happy to travel if you guys want to meet up sometime in Houston or here in Austin.

Gotta fight to keep it alive
Old 07-29-2014, 01:29 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

New to town and looking for some drifters to run with! Anyone?!?!
Old 07-29-2014, 08:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HypeRevAE86
New to town and looking for some drifters to run with! Anyone?!?!
Not too many in Austin who are active on the forums. You might be able to catch Vaughn and Southerngovna over on RCFiles.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:25 AM
Tech Rookie

Default austin drifting

Sorry, but not good at the forum stuff...email me at [email protected] and we'll meet up. Typically we stick to the garage track in the summer to be close to A/C!