Wiki Posts
Search

Lubbock RC track?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 05:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Lubbock RC track?

I saw that the Lubbock track that was to host the RC Pro Race closed? Today there is a new race listed for that same date in Lubbock at WPS Speedway? Anyone have pics of the track or know about it?
Old 03-27-2012, 10:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PorTX
I saw that the Lubbock track that was to host the RC Pro Race closed? Today there is a new race listed for that same date in Lubbock at WPS Speedway? Anyone have pics of the track or know about it?
There are pics of the track on their website, but no directions on how to get there. The next race is scheduled for March 31st.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:25 AM
Tech Elite

I ended up going to the new track Sat. Overall it's not a bad place to run. The owners are really good guys who want to make it a success. They layout is fun and just needs a few minor tweaks to a couple of the jumps, but they should have it fixed by next weekend. The surface is very smooth and hard pack. When dry there is a layer of dust on top and it never gets a blue groove. When wet the dust turns to a thin layer of mud. In typical west texas hot / dry weather it won't hold moisture for very long so most of our races were in the dry. There is no grip at all either wet or dry so set your car up accordingly. The turnout was good for a first race with little to no advertising. There were 25 or so 2wd SC, about the same for 4wd SC. There were about 10 nitro buggies, and truggies. 1/8 e-buggy was light on entries but that will improve. There will be another practice race on Sat 4/7 so come try it out if you are in the area!
Old 04-03-2012, 12:19 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Lubbock track

I also was at the new track. Like other poster said good guys and I know they will continue working to improve track. You can check out out a short video on youtube - search for wpsspeedway
Old 04-11-2012, 09:08 PM
Tech Master

Not going to be able to make this race. Decided to go the NASCAR race instead. Might go up to Amarillo in a couple of weeks to get some track time before the AKA race.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:27 AM
Tech Elite

NAPCAR.... lol Should be a good race this weekend looks like about 120 entries or so. I just hope the weather forecast is wrong about the wind or the short course trucks might have trouble with parachuting when parked in the pits.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:42 PM
Tech Elite

You made the right choice skipping this one. The wind was 35 gusting to almost 50. The nitro truggies were parachuting over the big jumps! Short course was pure comedy with some getting flipped over on flat ground from the wind. Still a good day of racing though. They are planning on a two day night race in July.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:26 PM
Tech Master

Yes I did make the right choice... We had, pretty much, an all access pass Saturday! Once in a lifetime deal!
Attached Thumbnails Lubbock RC track?-nascar-texas-race-april-2012-288.jpg   Lubbock RC track?-nascar-texas-race-april-2012-122.jpg   Lubbock RC track?-nascar-texas-race-april-2012-251.jpg  
Old 04-15-2012, 05:09 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by PorTX
Yes I did make the right choice... We had, pretty much, an all access pass Saturday! Once in a lifetime deal!

Right on! I am lucky enough to get that level of access for the Indycar event almost every year. It's always a great time. Should be really cool this year since the Global Rallycross guys are running as a support event.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:36 PM
Tech Master

How was the turnout for the Lubbock race? I am sure the wind/weather put a damper on the turnout but hope that it was a success. I will make it up there in the future to play!

I am sure we will attend the Indy and Rally Car event also. They were promoting it a lot this weekend. Saturday night the wind at the TMS was horrible. Probably 30-45 mph up in the stands and blowing right into our faces....it was nice!! Friday night was almost perfect weather.

DISCLAIMER: This weekend has me all messed up on the days. It was Friday that we had the "access" pass.

Here are a couple more pics....inside the hauler and from Dale Jr's pit box during the race..
Attached Thumbnails Lubbock RC track?-nascar-texas-race-april-2012-072.jpg   Lubbock RC track?-nascar-texas-race-april-2012-075.jpg   Lubbock RC track?-jrs-pit-box-texas-2012.jpg  
Old 04-15-2012, 05:42 PM
Tech Elite

The turnout was pretty good. We had 2wd and 4wd short course, two classes of nitro buggy (pro and intermediate), 1/8 e-buggy, and nitro truggy. Every class had 20+ entries with the exception of nitro truggy which had 10 or so.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:46 AM
Tech Rookie

I have seen several videos from WPS Speedway and can't wait to make it out there. Getting back into this after a whole lot of years away from r/c. Couple of questions Seems like I have seen two different setups of the track. Also does not seem (from the video) that there is to many different jumps or what I would consider to be super technical sections. Is this really the case? What tires are people having success with? How has the turnout been throughout the summer? Not that much of this matters as It will be a while before I am ready to actually race. It like starting all over. I am just curious. I am going to try to head out and practice for awhile before I decide to race. Although I am going to let my daughter get started in the novice class as soon as things kick back up.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:09 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by terr74
I have seen several videos from WPS Speedway and can't wait to make it out there. Getting back into this after a whole lot of years away from r/c. Couple of questions Seems like I have seen two different setups of the track. Also does not seem (from the video) that there is to many different jumps or what I would consider to be super technical sections. Is this really the case? What tires are people having success with? How has the turnout been throughout the summer? Not that much of this matters as It will be a while before I am ready to actually race. It like starting all over. I am just curious. I am going to try to head out and practice for awhile before I decide to race. Although I am going to let my daughter get started in the novice class as soon as things kick back up.
AKA Cityblocks and Proline Calibers both work well. The track is very fast and not very technical, but it is not an easy track to drive. The back straight away is hard to see from the drivers stand and the jumps tend to get blown out with holes, and mis-shaped / uneven takeoffs. At the last race I went to there the fast line on the big triple was to roll the first one and double out. The first takeoff was so wrecked that you didn't know which way it would throw you from one lap to the next. The grip level varies a lot through a race day as well. The track will be very, very slick when they water it. As it dries it stays slick until the top layer of dust blows off and it gets a high grip line going. Then they water it again and screw it up. It's still a lot of fun though and it's a great group of guys to run with.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:54 AM
Tech Rookie

Well I think I am going to let my daughter run the storage charge on her packs out there this evening. Charger will not be here until at least tomorrow and she is ready to go play a little. It wont get her far but at least let her try it out. Looking forward to meeting up with some of the other people around here. Stuff has changed a ton since the last time I ran an rc car. LIPOS and brushless are new to me. Not to mention the off road part of this. It should be interesting. I personally am just going to spend some time out there just putting around for awhile. Well once my stuff gets here. Everything is with the charger.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:18 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by terr74
Well I think I am going to let my daughter run the storage charge on her packs out there this evening. Charger will not be here until at least tomorrow and she is ready to go play a little. It wont get her far but at least let her try it out. Looking forward to meeting up with some of the other people around here. Stuff has changed a ton since the last time I ran an rc car. LIPOS and brushless are new to me. Not to mention the off road part of this. It should be interesting. I personally am just going to spend some time out there just putting around for awhile. Well once my stuff gets here. Everything is with the charger.
How was it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.