Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Texas Racing
possible new track in Huffman >

possible new track in Huffman

possible new track in Huffman

Old 04-29-2011, 09:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (86%+)
Default possible new track in Huffman

Me and a few other local racers have been playing with the idea of starting a new track in huffman. We want to through the idea out there and see if anyone else might be on board with the idea. We were looking at the old Texas dance hall on 2100 right down the street from the Tin cup bar. It would be an indoor offroad track suited to 1/10 and 1/8 scale nitro and electric.

So let me know what yall think about the idea. If we have a lot of support there is a huge chance that it will be happening.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I think an in-door electric off-road track would have success in Houston. It feels like it's the right moment to put off-road back indoors. You are not really further than Mike's and if you guys could offer an indoor racing environment, focused mainly on electric off-road, you would have a chance at offering something no one else is. Nitro is for out-doors, and nobody has a dedicated track to cater to the electric guys exclusively. At the moment,us electric guys have no real "home". We race at Mike's and at M&M, but no-one track is really suited for racing 10th scale properly. The Electric crowd in Houston is growing quickly. Turn-outs are at around 40-50 entries at most of these events at the moment. With a regular race schedule and a track that caters to electric racers exclusively, that turn-out could be 60-70 within no time.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:12 PM
Tech Addict

Yeah i think it would be focused mainly on electric. Thats one thing we have been taking notice, how fast electric is taking off again and the lack of any purely electric tracks. The building we are interested in is big and i know for a fact that we could have one of the nicest indoor tracks in the country if we get to run with this idea. I havent had a chance to look at the amount of land behind the building but if there is enough then we will do an outdoor nitro track as well.

the only thing that is holding us up right now is the dedication of racers willing ot come out and race. if we can get a group of guys saying yes we will come out and race, then i dont see why this wont happen.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:39 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by yarbroughdesign
Yeah i think it would be focused mainly on electric. Thats one thing we have been taking notice, how fast electric is taking off again and the lack of any purely electric tracks. The building we are interested in is big and i know for a fact that we could have one of the nicest indoor tracks in the country if we get to run with this idea. I havent had a chance to look at the amount of land behind the building but if there is enough then we will do an outdoor nitro track as well.

the only thing that is holding us up right now is the dedication of racers willing ot come out and race. if we can get a group of guys saying yes we will come out and race, then i dont see why this wont happen.
Honestly you probably need to post this here to get any answers from the Houston area racers:http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/forumdisplay.php?f=25

Most everyone that is racing in the Houston area goes here for info.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I live smack dab in the middle of Houston right next to downtown. If there was a good indoor 1/10 scale offroad track here again, I'd be all over it. There was one in the early 90's on the northwest side off of 290 near the beltway. MM is closest to me and I'd like to start racing again (it's been almost 20 years) but the track there isn't all that well maintained. Mike's has a very nice track but it seems a bit large for 1/10. I've never run it though and would love to. It is quite well maintained.

Even a track the size of MM's but with a bit more thought put into the space available and with good maintenance could be a very nice place. A bit larger wouldn't hurt either but huge jumps where you can stay airborn for 40 feet really aren't necessary.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

id love to see some indoor electric off road. i generally race at mikes. i just got a losi 22 and ran it out at mikes, its really run, mikes is really fast and a little large for the 22, it kinda looks like a mini running around out there. haha i know for a fact that there are at minimum 6 losi 22's that race at mikes though and i know for 3-4 people that have bought one and are starting to race it. at this is just in one area of town that i know of at mikes! im sure the scene at mm is somewhat of the same.. it could be pretty awesome seeing some electric indoor racing. i would be curious at what size youd make it though. every other friday at mikes they have an all electric race, and the short course, 1/8th scale buggy, and the rwd buggies usually have enough guys to make an a and b main! so electric is alive and well in houston, however i think making it smaller than mikes, but a little bigger than a typical 1/10 scale track, would allow you to appeal to the 1/8th scale guys as well as the short course and 1/10 scale buggies. just my thoughts.

Matt
Old 05-04-2011, 11:50 AM
Tech Addict

What size track would you guys like to run on? Give me some dimensions.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:31 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by yarbroughdesign
What size track would you guys like to run on? Give me some dimensions.
I'd say about 100-150' long/wide by about 75-100' deep seems to be good sizes.

That might be a little on the large end for 10th scale, but you dont have to use every square foot of the track area either. And having a bigger area than you need always leave room for growth later if need be. If your area is too small... well, you're stuck.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)
Default track

i think you should build a dirt oval track it bring racers from dallas and louisana it would be the frist one in houston ..
Old 05-05-2011, 11:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The old track at Roadrunner RC in the late 80's was a dirt oval with the offroad course in the middle. It was a very nice setup for the time. Barriers were put up to change the track configuration. Racing was every weekend back then and the track was different from week to week. I think oval racing was on Friday nights and offroad on Saturdays. I may have that reversed though.

The main oval had no banking so some today may not like that. The inner course was up a bit higher than the oval so there was a natural berm between the oval and off road sections. It was gentle though so it basically just became part of the course when you veered to the infield.

I personally feel 1/8th scale has enough tracks and I'm not interested in running at yet another place dominated by those guys who run over the 1/10 just because they can. I want a strictly 1/10 scale track again. No gas either. It could be that I just want to return the to good old days of rc in the late 80's where your classes were 2WD stock, 2WD modified, 4WD stock, 4WD modified, and Sportsman (Tamiya style beginner cars with stock motors). Those were the fun times!
Old 09-01-2011, 08:21 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)

this seems like a great idea, i'm just up the road in dayton and would love to have a place a little closer to go to

i'd like to know where you guys are with the process

if you are looking for investors please pm me