Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RC in Abilene, TX???

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 05:10 PM
Tech Initiate

Default How about shop?

I've been studying this for about a year and I see there is some interest in the area and I think there could be a way to make a hobby shop work. We have a world class air field, behind that we have area to run boats,and if it can be aranged we could run a road course on the smoth landing strips. I thin an indoor track will tough but not impossible. I want to do this because I love the sport, along with RC I have a2 car off road race team, and degree in Motorsports Mangment from NC. I've eavesdropping RC all over including working one for about years. But I want info from your. Where would you like to see a hobby shop?
Old 12-07-2012, 08:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Anywhere in Abilene would work, it's not that big of town. With the weather we have an outdoor track would be able to race pretty much all year round, and indoor track would be nice but would be more expensive. I would say put a shop close to Dyess since that would give you a high concentration of young guys with disposable income, I just don't know of any location close to the base that would be suitable.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:58 AM
Tech Initiate

I agree, I grew up in Vegas and always raced just down the road from Nellis AFB. I' thinking out door offroad indoor 1/16 scale and smaller. Help younger people get interested. Thanks for the input. Keep it coming guys
Old 12-09-2012, 02:45 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by ShanMan
I started building a track on the corner of my wheat field. I got it roughed out. It is about 215'X120'. 10' lanes and 20 jumps. I tried to make the jumps where it could be ran in either direction. So far I like it better counterclockwise. I got water and electricity. Just need to spray some herbicide to keep the wheat from coming up on the track before it gets out of hand. I plan on building a drivers stand, at least an 8' deck and 16' long. I have to wait until January to throw some more money at it with Christmas around the corner. Need to rent an asphalt roller, buy about 1000' or so of 4" corrugated pipe, and some 10" nails and washers to stake the pipe down. I already have most of the lumber for the stand. It is hard to make out in the picture but I made a 10' lane around the whole track to drive in a huge oval of sorts. It's kind of hard to see the vehicles in the back left corner. My boys ages 6 and 8 are loving it so far. They are already asking for faster cars. Still a lot of work to be done.
Here are some pics.

I looked for your place Saturday. How about some more info. Mileage past flying j left or righ.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:20 PM
Tech Initiate

So busiest time of the year for our sport,with the Words just finishing up and not to mention holiday shopping, not interest in a local supplier and a place to race?????
Old 12-12-2012, 02:58 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JamesGangabilen
So busiest time of the year for our sport,with the Words just finishing up and not to mention holiday shopping, not interest in a local supplier and a place to race?????
build a local track and I'll be there
Old 12-12-2012, 05:04 PM
Tech Initiate

It's going to take more than 3 other people to say they want it to happen. I've been putting out feelers all over even answering craigslisit ads with stuff for sell trying to talk them into hanging in there. And this will be way more than just a dirt track. Like I've said we have an amazing air field and no one to buy parts from. This will be a full service shop.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:06 PM
Tech Champion

It's going to take more than 3 other people to say they want it to happen. I've been putting out feelers all over even answering craigslisit ads with stuff for sell trying to talk them into hanging in there. And this will be way more than just a dirt track. Like I've said we have an amazing air field and no one to buy parts from. This will be a full service shop.
have you talked with anyone from the flying club? We had a full flying field last weekend with the nice weather. In my travels, Texas is the worst state in general for using rctech to communicate about tracks and local racing.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:11 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Matt Howard
have you talked with anyone from the flying club? We had a full flying field last weekend with the nice weather. In my travels, Texas is the worst state in general for using rctech to communicate about tracks and local racing.

Is there someone I should talk to specifically? I sent an email in the general box no response.

Also, I will still be working this, but I'm meeting with a couple connections next week back east I will be checking emails often.

What other sites would you recommend?
Old 12-13-2012, 07:09 PM
Tech Champion

Is there someone I should talk to specifically? I sent an email in the general box no response.

Also, I will still be working this, but I'm meeting with a couple connections next week back east I will be checking emails often.

What other sites would you recommend?
Terrance Reynolds is the current club president, PM me your phone # or email addy and I'll pass it along to him.

www.rcfiles.com is big for texas racing, other than that most tracks have their own message board
Old 12-27-2012, 09:42 AM
Tech Rookie

I looked for your place Saturday. How about some more info. Mileage past flying j left or righ.
Pm me and I will divulge my ultra secret location. I have pretty much lived here my whole life and there has only been one "Hobby shop." I use that term loosely because it was hardly a Hobby shop in the late 80's and 90's, and that was Clyde's Machine and Hobbies. You can still buy R/C from him if you can get him on the phone. I probably have more parts in my own personal parts bins than that place did. I would like to get together with others interested on starting a club for Off-road racing SCT, SCB, 1/10, 1/8 as well as on-road 1/10, 1/8, GT8 or whatever. I personally have never done any racing because there is nowhere to go around here. That is why I am building the off-road track to see if I can get others interested enough to eventually open a real Hobby shop. My track is kind of in the middle of nowhere. No fences. If I lived out there I would open some sort of on site shop and stock the parts for what vehicles everybody is racing. I also don't want people just showing up and before you know it my track is torn to hell from bikes and motorcycles, because once again I have no fence. I would like to get together with anyone that lives here and throw down some laps and see what we could come up with, so more people in the area can enjoy this awesome hobby. Just send me a private message if that's possible. I am not sure of the rules on this forum as I don't have many posts. I have some pics on ultimaterc.com also. Keep in mind the track is still not completed. Some of the jumps are poorly spaced and need work. It is hard to see the whole track unless you are on a huge ladder but still a blast. I can't wait until it's finished. Gonna start building the drivers stand soon. One of the biggest problems out there is wind and there is lots of it. I need some fast growing wind blocks.

Last edited by ShanMan; 12-27-2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

i currently live in alabama but have family in abilene and i am considering moving here within a few months. It would be nice to see a hobby shop in the area and a good track as well. Build it and they will come.

Im used to racing practically every weekend but i dont entirely want to drive 2 hrs to race every time i race so a track close to home would be awesome. Im down to help the cause any way i can besides organizing the initial build and such. Living in another state shuts that option down.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:14 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Kinda late to this party but I'll throw my two cents in.

After messing around with a friend's nitro HPI Savage it got me interested in rc-ing for fun so I ordered a Duratrax Evader Brushless, 2S LiPo and charger. Don't ask me why but while that is still in UPS transit I got a wild hair and ordered a Arrma Fury as well because Tower Hobbies had it for $179 plus $20 off so it was $159 and free shipping to boot. So now I have two rc's coming next week...lol.

Anyway I live in Bronte (small town, around 1100 ppl) which is about fifty miles north of Abilene and I would like to see some kind of track and a decent hobby shop somewhere. That being said I know there is/used to be a guy here in Bronte that had a place called Unplugged RC if I remember right. I know because sometimes I would stop by there and buy nitro for my buddy. His shop was/is adjacent to his house and there was a track set up there as well. To be honest it's been at least a year since I was in there so I don't know how active he still is nor what he carried but I do remember a lot of parts on the walls and he seemed really nice and kept things tidy and in order. I'll try to go by there this weekend and see if he's still open and what shape the track is in.

I know San Angelo has a fairly large and active RC club but to my knowledge it's strictly flying and not vehicle based at all.

Jimmy
Old 01-05-2013, 05:39 PM
Tech Adept

Kinda late to this party but I'll throw my two cents in.

After messing around with a friend's nitro HPI Savage it got me interested in rc-ing for fun so I ordered a Duratrax Evader Brushless, 2S LiPo and charger. Don't ask me why but while that is still in UPS transit I got a wild hair and ordered a Arrma Fury as well because Tower Hobbies had it for $179 plus $20 off so it was $159 and free shipping to boot. So now I have two rc's coming next week...lol.

Anyway I live in Bronte (small town, around 1100 ppl) which is about fifty miles north of Abilene and I would like to see some kind of track and a decent hobby shop somewhere. That being said I know there is/used to be a guy here in Bronte that had a place called Unplugged RC if I remember right. I know because sometimes I would stop by there and buy nitro for my buddy. His shop was/is adjacent to his house and there was a track set up there as well. To be honest it's been at least a year since I was in there so I don't know how active he still is nor what he carried but I do remember a lot of parts on the walls and he seemed really nice and kept things tidy and in order. I'll try to go by there this weekend and see if he's still open and what shape the track is in.

I know San Angelo has a fairly large and active RC club but to my knowledge it's strictly flying and not vehicle based at all.

****update****

I went by the shop this afternoon and it appears he is still open because the sign is still out front however I didn't have time to stop in and check it out more closely. He does have a pretty good sized oval track beside his house complete with a nice looking drivers stand. I'll try to get by there this week and see how involved he still is and post it here.

Jimmy

Last edited by Gloveberg; 01-06-2013 at 03:06 AM.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:48 PM
Tech Adept

Okay so last night I wrote up this nice long post and it went to moderation so I assumed I couldn't post yet...then my second post went through fine...lol.

I can't remember the entire post so hopefully it will be unlocked soon in all it's glory.

The jist of it was I live in Bronte which is a small town about fifty miles north of Abilene and there's a small hobby shop here called Unplugged RC's that has a track and it appears to be still open. My first two hobby grade rc's are on the way (Duratrax Evader brushless and Arrma Fury) and it would be nice to find people with the same interest.

Jimmy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.