Looking for 1/10 Electric Racers on the New Asphalt at Mikes, Houston

Looking for 1/10 Electric Racers on the New Asphalt at Mikes, Houston

Old 02-07-2009, 08:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default Looking for 1/10 Electric Racers on the New Asphalt at Mikes, Houston

Mikes-HobbyShop.com

Electric News and just a little track news

Work proceeds on the Perimeter of the track. The track will be sloped toward the drivers stand. Linear Continuous grated drains are going in between the track and the Pits. It should complete in a few months.

Electric
Jeff plans to bid an electric nationals on the new asphalt. You guys with electrics have better come and run those TC's and get some practice in. Here are some suggestions for classes that might be suitable at Mikes-Hobby shop.com

1/10, 4 wheel drive sedan, rubber tires, Open Mod, 2cell LiPo (I think you will be dissatisfied with anything 10.5 or slower) The straight will be longer at 240 feet. My Associated TC5 will like that just fine. We are thinking of adding a lollipop turn and some S's or a chicane to an S to slow the cars for the straight. This will be on the snack bar end of the track. The other end will be similar to the old layout. These new turns will challenge the electric sedans a little better. I was not impressed at all by foam tires on the electric TC (nor was the Computer timer) at Mikes even when we had high traction. 6 cell is OK and you are welcome to wear out your supply of brushed mod motors. A spec class where you specify the motor is OK. Brushed motors just did not hold up well at Mikes and killed our previous electric touring car races. We had 20 racers at that time. Brushless stuff, in its second generation, holds up great now. Fear no more.

World GT with an upgrade to LiPo 10.5
1/10, 200 mm, 2 wheel drive Pan, Foam tires. This class will be very close in performance to a mild mod in a 4 wheel drive Sedan. the leftmost picture below is of my Gen X 10 with 10.5 LiPo, Protoform Toyota HD oval body. Other suitable bodies are Corvette C6, and Sophia (see my post below) and about 6 others. Chassis Brands in the Mix, Associated RC10 R5, Darkside Motorsports I-Force, KSKT racing KSKD,Team Speed Merchant Speed Spec, BMI DB10R, CRC Gen X 10 (scroll down) (in stock), X-ray (just announced), Corally SP10X. There have been about 30 of these cars at each of three of the last big electric races. So what's the deal here. It's Retro. The car is hard to break. The car is simple to maintain. There is low tire wear. Chunking does not slow the car to any degree. Should be about the same speed as our coming and growing on-road 1/8 scale buggy based GT class. I'll just tell you right now that the Gen X 10 has the best battery layout for LiPo because they thought ahead. Why upgrade from 4 cell at Mikes, well think of a 240 ft straight with 4 cell. This is not your small indoor carpet track.

Pro 10, This would be a wide pan, open mod, 2 cell LiPo. I have a bone stock Gen X 10 again, with CRC's widening kit, built up. The second pic below below. This one has a Novak 3.5 R and a 2 cell LiPo. Guys race these still under ROAR rules in Colorodo, Canada, and all over Europe under the similar IFMAR rules), They work great on a big smooth high traction track like we will have. And yes they will put your touring car to shame lap time wise. Protoform just rereleased this body due to growing US demand. This class was discontinued in the US because cars were going airborne at speed. Just recently, by experiment, I learned that putting a full width diffuser under the nose completely prevents blowovers even on our current track. On a smooth new track you will have no problem and can always add this simple diffuser which is based on an inverted wing for more front grip. I have tested the car in the photo at right below on our current layout and was impressed and had no blowovers even on the worst bumps. Manufacturers, Darkside with a widening kit (he would give me no details on this kit after an e-mail request), CRC with an optional widening kit, my pick, possibly Corally C10X from overseas. Wide chassis conversions from Powel Racing Products exist. These Powell chassis can be built from scratch or can supplement an RC10L3T conversion. I have a parts list.

Concrete Oval
I just got the Concrete Oval working with super traction. It is located right in front of the shop in the concrete parking lot by the field. It runs perpendicular to the shop wall. Some of you guys are welcome to join us there. Others are too ugly!

Now if you come by some Friday afternoon or Sunday afternoon I will spill my guts on the rest of the planned changes and you can run your oval car. The new asphalt track is going to be super nice as is our concrete oval.

I am reposting this information to try get an electric program started. Nothing is quite so relaxing as electrics these day. There are very good trouble free powertrains now. The 2-wheel drives are even less trouble. Traction should be super for quite a while on the new asphalt.
John

Pics-you get the sharpest view by clicking on the pic again after you expand it and then making it full screen by selecting your full screen box. This is the size I intended.
Attached Thumbnails Looking for 1/10 Electric Racers on the New Asphalt at Mikes, Houston-pan-road-car-toyota-body-resized-006.jpg   Looking for 1/10 Electric Racers on the New Asphalt at Mikes, Houston-peugeot-905-b-908-colors-resized-006.jpg   Looking for 1/10 Electric Racers on the New Asphalt at Mikes, Houston-saleen-s7r-001-resized.jpg   Looking for 1/10 Electric Racers on the New Asphalt at Mikes, Houston-stratus-foams-002.jpg  

Last edited by John Stranahan; 04-29-2009 at 11:59 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:47 PM
Tech Elite

OK 54 people looked at the first post. I know quite a few are Nitro guys from Mikes. I assume some are electric guys. How about a poll now. Make a post with your preference of class. This new asphalt at Mikes is going to be a once in a lifetime opportunity for us. You will likely never see another track built of this size and quality in or near Houston ever again. It is going to be VERY FLAT, GRADED, very high quality asphalt. . Suitable for a World Championship.

LT280z. I see your vote. Thanks. We need some more guys. A suitable power train for World GT at Mikes would be Novak Havok (or GTB or LRP, or Tekin) with a 10.5 (about $150 for both motor and speed control with a Havok) and Orion LiPO 3800 graphite edition pack. The Havoc comes with the race ready Novak Motor unlike the previous XBR controller. The latter setup is OK as well, but I recommend an upgrade to the big bearing and sintered rotor. I suggest a spec battery pack (Orion 3800) or any of the Orion's smaller than 3800 that you might have already to prevent battery wars. I suggest Novak 10.5 to prevent motor wars. I'll suggest 48 pitch gears as 64 pitch don't hold up outdoors more than one race. I reccomend spec rear tires, but the spec front tires may be too soft for our track on a 200 mm car. (That is why guys are gluing up the sidewalls on them. I would like to prevent that messy and smelly job by not requiring a spec front tire. My tests show you are going to need purple fronts along with spec rears) Please feel free to leave feedback on this.
john

Last edited by John Stranahan; 02-12-2009 at 01:52 PM.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:28 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

My world GT and TC are both ready to rock!
Old 02-19-2009, 12:11 PM
Tech Elite

LT280z-Thanks.

We have 120 hits on this thread. Still only two racers willing to commit. Lets have a show of hands for electric and the class you would like to run at Mikes. Finishing touches have been put on the layout. It will suit electrics just fine. Here is the Protoform Sophia body recently installed on my CRC Gen X 10 which is a regulation body for World GT. It will be nice and warm when the time comes to race.
Attached Thumbnails Looking for 1/10 Electric Racers on the New Asphalt at Mikes, Houston-protoform-sophia-002.jpg  

Last edited by John Stranahan; 02-19-2009 at 04:18 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

48 pitch gears belong on offroad cars imo. 64pitch hold up fine in a ll conditions. I have better luck with 64 than 48. Not to mention the minute adjustments that can be made vs huge jumps in gears with 48
Old 02-19-2009, 04:22 PM
Tech Elite

I have run both types of gears at Mikes- The 64 pitch will tend to strip even if brakes are hit by accident. The Natural grit around Mikes wears the hard coat off the 64 pitch in one race day. In contrast the 48 pitch last for months. Jeff does have a good supply of 64 pitch gears though. No rule here just a suggestion after collecting about 25 worn out pinions during the oval racing.

We may have another World GT racer soon. He has a body ordered.
John
Attached Thumbnails Looking for 1/10 Electric Racers on the New Asphalt at Mikes, Houston-protoform-sophia-rear-wheel-arch-013.jpg   Looking for 1/10 Electric Racers on the New Asphalt at Mikes, Houston-protoform-sophia-rear-wheel-arch-009.jpg  

Last edited by John Stranahan; 03-09-2009 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:10 PM
Tech Elite

Jeff, from the shop, said he would run World GT with us. That's 4 now. We need a few more racers to pony up. New Sophia GT pics in my previous post.

I hear asphalt work by a contractor may commence next week. Some work by shop personnel on drainage and perimeter is already ongoing.
john
Old 02-28-2009, 08:56 PM
Tech Elite

Havok Brushless Spec System with 10.5 R. In stock at several places now.

https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...=ns&pn=NOV3033

This would go well as a spec World GT electric pan car power plant for Mikes.

Never have Brushless prices been this low especially including the full race SS Novak motors. No upgrading needed.
john

Last edited by John Stranahan; 03-01-2009 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:26 AM
RHH
Tech Apprentice

Default World GT

Hi John, Ron here. Finally registered. I will participate in the World GT. When will the track be finished? Oh, I finished the unlimted pancar and tested it the week before the track was torn up, but it was so dusty that nothing worked well except the sweeper.

Regards, Ron
Old 03-01-2009, 11:26 AM
Tech Elite

Ron-Good to hear from you. Welcome to World GT. I tried some oval last Sunday as well on the old asphalt and the constructionn dust was just too much. They said that some new asphalt may be layed down on Monday.

I have some competition for your wide pan car.
john
Attached Thumbnails Looking for 1/10 Electric Racers on the New Asphalt at Mikes, Houston-peugeot-905-b-908-colors-resized-006.jpg  
Old 03-01-2009, 08:22 PM
RHH
Tech Apprentice

Default Car looks good.

I'm afraid my wide pancar is going to become the world gt car. Ron
Old 03-02-2009, 03:45 PM
Tech Elite

Ron-thanks. Any pan car will do. Make the rear less than or equal to 205 mm, Front engine rear drive bodies rule out the NSX and 911 Porsche. Check this Nissan R34 out.

World GT Rules - Petit Lemans variant

My count is 5 racers. We need a few more.

It looks like this is the electric class that is going forward at Mikes. We have 5 racers now. We need a few more to insure viability.

The attached PDF list acceptable bodies, body height, and wing size. Since we are running an outlaw power train, then we can decide which rules to run. We have the option of 6 cell weight.

Weight- I suggest 42 ounces. We can make the car lighter with LiPo, but this is one case where a heavier car gets down through the dust better to gain grip. At this weight you will need a little ballast. This will let you run a good foam bumper and maybe the Heavier GFR body posts. It will let you run a 3 shock rear instead of having two dampers in the rear.

Front tire- I have run the CRC spec front tire on a wide pan and a narrow pan at Mikes. On a wide pan it works great and has super grip. On a narrow pan you will find yourself spinning out from too much front traction. I suggest a variance here to run any foam front tire. Spec rears from CRC, Jayco, or BSR. I have tested the CRC rears and they were super. (I want to avoid exposing yourself to an acre of superglue fumes as you glue up both sidewalls on the spec front tire to make it stiffer). I reccomend a BSR (purple) front tire. The black rim is a good match to the CRC spec rear wheel.

Motor-We will have a 240 foot straight. The straight at the Snowbirds was about 75 ft. You can see where a little more power might be helpful at Mikes. If traction is an issue we can sugar water the track. Traction should be good on the new asphalt for quite a while though. Novak SS 10.5, You are welocome to use up your supply of 19turn motors. (That is the 10.5 equivalent). Please don't buy a new brushed motor as we want everyone on a spec motor as soon as possible. I ordered a Novak Havoc with the SS 10.5 novak motor to use on my World GT car. My Gen X 10 car will be bone stock to race.

Battery-2s LiPo (7.4 volt) Orion 3800 graphite edition or temporarily any of the smaller Orions. I have the 3800 Orion. Note the mains can be 6 minutes. You are welcome to use up your old supply of 6 cell NiMH packs. Please don't buy new NiMH packs as we want everyone running the same Voltage pack as soon as possible.

Bodies- these are listed on the PDF below. Basically there are to be bodies of cars that run in Lemans (or Petit lemans) type of races in the GT2 or GT1 class; that is 2 door sports cars. The Sophia I pictured above is popular right now. Second the Corvette C6. (I personally like the big oval Nascar bodies on the big layout, we can discuss using those).

Chassis- I listed the Manufacturers of new chassis up above. Don't forget that a pan car has not really changed much in 30 years. The old chassis in your closet or that of your buddy, will work fine. Associated 10L3T, CRC Pantoura, Speed specs, ets. I have quite a few spare parts on hand to keep you going. If we get good numbers we will refill the pan car pegboard. Stormer hobbies has been really good about keeping common pan car parts available. All you need is a part number. Associated manuals are downloadable now to get part numbers. I have copies in the shop. Lefthander-RC has a good supply of pan car parts that are used on both oval and road course.

I also have a spare Road car chassis that I can build up that you could borrow for a month or two to get you started.

Electric Oval
If there is anyone that wants to pick the electric oval back up, we have made a very good spot for oval racing on the new layout centered on the big drivers stand right in the middle of the track.

Track Progress
Wont be too long if the weather holds up. Paving work may start this week.
John
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
World%20GT%20rules%20-%2009.pdf (88.1 KB, 407 views)

Last edited by John Stranahan; 03-22-2009 at 11:41 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:48 PM
Tech Elite

HPI body

Hmmm.
Attached Thumbnails Looking for 1/10 Electric Racers on the New Asphalt at Mikes, Houston-nissan-r34-gt-rlmkeepthedream.jpg  

Last edited by John Stranahan; 03-09-2009 at 07:28 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

I will wait until final decision is made... If class is open and Touring is accepted.. I am in..
Old 03-06-2009, 07:59 PM
Tech Elite

Here is my World GT entry ready for some track action. This is a CRC Gen X 10 to which I have added RC18T side shocks to replace the side dampeners. The wide body mount side plates are installed. All else is stock CRC.

Novak Havok, (any speed control accepted)
Novak 10.5, (The spec motor)
Orion LiPo 3800 graphite edition, (The spec battery), lower capacity Orions accepted
AMB personal transponder (recommended)
Spektrum receiver (or Futaba Fasst) recommended.
Rear CRC World GT spec tires (a spec rear tire, also Jayco Lilac and BSR Lilac) You will need purple fronts of any brand. A few BSR are in the shop.
48 pitch 72 spur, 23 pinion to start out. 48 pitch is recommended, not required, on this outdoor track.

Plus you are welcome to run your brushed 19 turn and 6 cell NiMH until you use up your personal stock. You can also run your touring car as well for a separate place. If we get 6 touring cars then we can have a separate heat. I have a touring car ready as well.

john
Attached Thumbnails Looking for 1/10 Electric Racers on the New Asphalt at Mikes, Houston-world-gt-electronics-install.jpg   Looking for 1/10 Electric Racers on the New Asphalt at Mikes, Houston-protoform-alfa-romeo-front-decal-001.jpg  

Last edited by John Stranahan; 03-08-2009 at 05:15 PM. Reason: touring cars for a separate place, open mod.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.