Hey John Stranahan!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 07:08 AM
Tech Regular

Default Hey John Stranahan!

Remember this?

How to Hot Rod your Dust Buster

Created Sunday, March 7, 1999, 1:57 p.m. by John Stranahan, who wrote:
My dust buster died so I took a look inside. I found three Nicad Batteries, the same size we use in our RC cars, and what looked liked a 540 size DC motor. One of the cells was dead so I replaced them with 3 cells from an matched pack. Well, it really sucks now. I wonder if I can put in my old 10X2 for stratospheric performance?

Mac The Knife (Sunday, March 7, 1999, 2:56 p.m.)
First it was the dremel, now Dustbusters,cool. I have a rechargable flashlight that now has a matched two cell pack in it, I just need a jack to fastcharge it now. as for your dustbuster, I hope you can make a 5 minute cleanup before it dumps...

Intruder (Sunday, March 7, 1999, 3:04 p.m.)
Dude......I put a stock motor in and a 4 cell pack of 1700's, That thing will suck the carpet off the floor !!!!

catfish (Sunday, March 7, 1999, 3:51 p.m.)
Team BiFf invades another thread.

<<<<YYEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!>>>>>>>

BRT#43 Checkin' out!!!!

T

RR

III

NNNN

IIIII

TTTTTT

YYYYYYY

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John Stranahan (Sunday, March 7, 1999, 5:01 p.m.)
I have the boron fibre impeller on order. And actually there is a position built in for a fourth cell hmmm.

scully (Sunday, March 7, 1999, 5:27 p.m.)
My dust buster plus had 5 cells in it but two of them were in the handle and the other three were where the motor was, they were really crappy cells though I replaced them with some 1200 SCRs about 5 years back and wow it made a world of difference. I also put some good 1200 SCRs in my black and decker cordless screwdriver and it also works a bit better, needs a stronger motor though.

John Stranahan (Sunday, March 7, 1999, 7:43 p.m.)
5 CELLS. I'm going to have to get the plus now.

cobra13 (Sunday, March 7, 1999, 7:49 p.m.)
Ok, you have matched cells and a 10x2, but, what brush/spring combo are you going to run???

sheldon (Sunday, March 7, 1999, 8:16 p.m.)
LOL...

scully (Sunday, March 7, 1999, 10:02 p.m.)
I want an Aveox brushless motor in my dustbuster...I bet it will suck ugh never mind

WEASEL (Sunday, March 7, 1999, 10:32 p.m.)
Is there a blue screw kit for the Dust Buster?

Biff#78

AustinTX (Monday, March 8, 1999, 8:36 a.m.)
John - The dust buster I had a few years ago had 2 cells and a 540, but the 540 was not wound the same as our 540's. It was a 10 turn single! Put that in your Grasshopper and watch it fly!

biff (Monday, March 8, 1999, 9:10 a.m.)
I noticed that my dust buster had a rough surface area in the inlet. So I did what I used to to my 2 stroke ports. Match and polish that baby. The inlet is now slicker than gorilla snot.

motoman (Monday, March 8, 1999, 9:19 a.m.)
Many years ago at the Cleveland 4 cell nats they handed out these dust busters for a race. You used the batteries and motor in your 4 cell car.

foxdaddy (Monday, March 8, 1999, 9:26 a.m.)
I put titanium turnbuckles on mine. Green springs all the way around, 30wt in the front, 35 in the rear, 25 caster, 2 camber front and rear with 0 toe in. Man, it REALLY sucks, and can handle the rough stuff with ease!

cookiemonster (Monday, March 8, 1999, 9:37 a.m.)
O`No! another lonny toon thread I like it!

DaSnake (Monday, March 8, 1999, 9:57 a.m.)
I've got a Bust Duster and it sucks really....OOPPSS...wrong thread....

biff (Monday, March 8, 1999, 10:21 a.m.)
Also you gotta remove the on/off switch, replace it with the esc of your choice. Fill the hole that the switch came out of, aerodynamics.

Casper (Monday, March 8, 1999, 12:02 p.m.)
Yeah stick in a cobolt drag motor with 5 cells and then a little esc like the atom and then you have a variable speed Dust Buster! If you are not sucking up the floor at one speed just give it a little more juice but becaful not to get you hand in front of it our small pets!

Casper (Monday, March 8, 1999, 12:03 p.m.)
Gees man I feel like Tim Taylor from Tool Time! Argh Argh Argh!

LeeS (Monday, March 8, 1999, 12:13 p.m.)
Now we are in trouble. Modified Dust Buster races. Who can suck the fastest. LOL

cookiemonster (Monday, March 8, 1999, 12:22 p.m.)
i has a old shop vac, and it was wheels! wow! i going to hop this this up and beat your little dust buster!

John Stranahan (Monday, March 8, 1999, 1:24 p.m.)
OK, thanks for the tips. I got the blue screw kit, ported the intake, added the Speed control. Now I have a propellor tach. I'm going to add this and voila, a dustbuster dyno.

Mac The Knife (Monday, March 8, 1999, 1:26 p.m.)
Will ther be a Monica SE?

IBRACIN (Monday, March 8, 1999, 1:28 p.m.)
Hoover 13amp, green belts, blue screws, titanium, totally tricked out. I call it "the big Lewinsky".

extreme (Monday, March 8, 1999, 1:35 p.m.)
All this is okay but what tires are you running?

John Stranahan (Monday, March 8, 1999, 5:27 p.m.)
now fellows get your mind out of the gutter.

Interesting the legacy this president has left us.

Casper (Monday, March 8, 1999, 5:30 p.m.)
Yeah but the Monica SE cannot get stains out!

John-- You forgot your graphite parts and your aluminum impeller shaft!

scully (Monday, March 8, 1999, 5:31 p.m.)
My dustbuster can suck the tobacco right out of a cigar

LOL

extreme (Monday, March 8, 1999, 5:32 p.m.)
Read the thread-couldn't resist. Had an old dust buster in the garage. Put and old 12d in and mounted a 1200 to the outside of the case. Pulled the trigger and exploded the fan off of it! Anyone know where I could get a heavy-duty impeller?

RoadBabble (Monday, March 8, 1999, 6:02 p.m.)
Maybe we can install wheels and gears along with Biff's esc and a radio we can clean up the track!!!

IBRACIN (Monday, March 8, 1999, 8:50 p.m.)
hmmmm...gives a whole new meaning to "the sweeper at the end of the back section".

SpoonMan999 (Monday, March 8, 1999, 9:08 p.m.)
The differnce between this thread and the modify ur dremel one is that this one is acctualy useful! I know my dustbuster can't suck for s!@# and it dumps after about 20 secs.

Matched cells? I think thats a bit over the top.

Mac The Knife (Monday, March 8, 1999, 9:18 p.m.)
If you wanted to run a dual motor setup, would that be legal?

Mac The Knife (Monday, March 8, 1999, 9:19 p.m.)
Would a two stage impeller be legal?

T3 Terror (Monday, March 8, 1999, 10:16 p.m.)
Hell, after a few 2000's straped in mine and a 14x2, my dustbuster will suckstart my harley !!!!!!!!!

cretin (Tuesday, March 9, 1999, 5:28 a.m.)
this thread reminds me of something i saw or read about some clowns that started drag racing belt sanders. modified motors and custom made sandpaper.

Post your response:
Old 07-06-2007, 10:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Yes I remeber it well.