Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Texas Racing
Gulf Coast RC Track Racers, Porter Texas (Houston) >

Gulf Coast RC Track Racers, Porter Texas (Houston)

Gulf Coast RC Track Racers, Porter Texas (Houston)

Old 10-29-2006, 08:39 PM
Tech Rookie

Sounds like you guys had a good time Saturday, wish I had made it. I mucked my knee up Friday playing hockey, didn't feel like the drive down would have been too good on it. Turns out the drive to Austin today made it none too happy. Hopefully I can make it next Saturday.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I thought I would repost this race info since we flipped to a new page. (sorry about the knee)

RC Pro Series Nationals
November 17-19

Note that a printable entry form is posted up above in this thread.

John
Old 10-30-2006, 07:11 AM
Tech Rookie

John,

It was nice to see ya again!! I didn't bring the touring car because we were out running errands, and my oldest son wanted to see the track, and to pick up a part needed to revive the old RC-10T so that he can go bashing around in.

After we left the track, my son told me that he wanted a TC so he can go racing too. I told him that if he got good at NOT crashing the RC-10T and can show me consistent "good" driving, he might just get one for Christmas.

Needless to say he was very excited!! He drove the RC-10T around the Cul-De-Sac yesterday (went through all 10 of my battery packs). Towards the end, he was getting pretty good at it.

We will try to show up this weekend and let him drive around on the track to see how he does, it will probably be Sunday since we are going to the Aggie Vs. Ok. game on Saturday.

Do you think anyone will mind if he drove the RC-10T on the road track if its not too busy??
Old 10-30-2006, 08:47 AM
Tech Elite

We have had one truck on the track on a regular basis. It's not a problem at all. They are easy to see. Sunday would be the better day for it as there are fewer people.
John
Old 10-30-2006, 01:27 PM
Tech Rookie

They let me run my bikes on the track. The corner speed on the truck will be alot higher than my corner speed. Just teach him how to keep an eye open behind him and give the inside to the faster cars while he is learning.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Hey John, I have driven your car almost every time you have made it out and have seen major improvement since the first time. The car is ballistic and is very stable. Due to the high traction that we have at the track the car manages on power cornering better than expected, even though im used to the usual TC effect. Im very impressed and need find a way to make my car alittle faster so i can use my driving skill where my car lacks back strait speed.

Robert
Old 10-30-2006, 09:41 PM
Tech Elite

Robert-Thanks. My lap times with the car have actually improved about 1.5 seconds since you first drove it. It responds well to subtle modifications. Don't know how to make the touring car faster. Anything you do pretty much destroys the motor or fries the speed control. I ran my JRXS all summer. You just have to run it against touring cars or get a two wheel drive. You probably know which I prefer on this very long track. MLP will be coming out with some interesting two wheel drives with more sophisticated front suspensions in the future. Your touring car is well hooked up. Those trinity cobalt 10x1 motors geared 7.5 with the extra heavy springs (Trinity silver) and high silver brushes will speed it up some. This will work very well with our cooler weather now.

John

Last edited by John Stranahan; 10-30-2006 at 09:53 PM.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:02 PM
Tech Regular

The facility is world class and nothing like I have ever seen before.

However, it needs something! Something different, and new.

Like a Drag strip!

27 guys are looking for a permanent track! And were 5 weeks in the making. Build it, and they will come!

Biff
Old 11-01-2006, 12:43 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

thinking of going to mikes tomorrow.(thurs)..anyone want to go?

Robert
Old 11-01-2006, 03:06 PM
Tech Adept

Default Going to the track?

I just spoke with Roger, we are planning on going Saturday. I will bring thw sugar!!
Have they finished the work on the track?
Nick Marson
Old 11-01-2006, 03:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Does anyone know what the practice fee will be when the off-road track opens?
Old 11-01-2006, 05:18 PM
Tech Elite

Work on the on-road track was finished up today. Corner apexes were repainted. A tearout on the straight was patched and smoothed. Another evening patch job tonight, but it should be dry in the morning.

Off-Road Track Progress
I saw clay going on the off-road track today. Should not be too long before there is a layout to run on. I believe the off-road practice fee will be about $5.00 Ask jeff to know for sure.

Fever is building for the RC Pro Series Nationals on the 17th-19th

Robert-I'll show in the afternoon. Don't need a lot of convincing.
John

Last edited by John Stranahan; 11-01-2006 at 06:17 PM.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:23 PM
Tech Elite

I thought I would post this e-mail in case Roger does not find this thread by Saturday. This meeting is to organize some club racing.

Hi Guys,

Just a reminder to show up and be heard at this weekend’s meeting at GulfCoast Raceway (Mike’s Hobby Shop n Porter). The meeting will begin at 12 noon. The track will be open at 10:00 AM and close at the same time the shop does. A five dollar track fee will give you all day access to the track except during the meeting time. I am not sure what Jeff has planned, but I bet we can get a short race in later in the day since he wants to test the new scoring equipment.

Any one wanting to help get the track cleaned up and coated (if needed) should plan to arrive around 9:15 AM on Saturday.

See you there,

Roger
Old 11-02-2006, 04:24 PM
Tech Elite

Well here is my proposal for the electric guys. Lin and myself probably have the most experience running mod electric on this long track. This is what we found. You really need a new arm or motor every single race day if you run touring car. It's good to have 4 motors built or to rebuild the motor 4 times each race day. Now this is in warmer weather which we have an abundance of. This is fine, but is a little on the expensive side. There was a huge number of motor failures during our Charity race. The track is a bit long for a touring car even on the shortened course. The motors eat the comm and brushes and if you gear them lower they tend to throw a winding from excessive RPM. The brushless motors just thermal in the heat and are almost useless in a touring car (They run OK at less than 80F). For this reason I have been experimenting with 2 wheel drive. This reduces the strain on the motor increases the top speed and has adequate traction for exciting racing. I put 100 runs on a Novak 4.5R in the two wheel drive with only a bearing replacement. No thermaling. For these reasons I make the following proposal.

RC Lemans Series (Electric)
I will try to get an open mod 1/10 electric class started at our track. Any 1/10 body, any chassis, motor, battery; run at the same time as a Touring car class (19 turn maybe. Lynn had good luck with these) like a Lemans series race. 53 ounce maximum weight. Scored separately. I'll see if I get any takers on Saturday.

Sutable open mod cars
Any Touring Car
The following are 2WD
CRC Pantoura (200 mm)
Darkforce adjustable pan car 200mm upgradable to 235 mm
RC 10 L3T or L2 used.
MLP Indi Car (fully independent suspension single belt drive to rear wheels. you can probably run a pan body on these.

And really this is just a personal opinion I have no sway at the track.

Pics are of two wide pan bodies, Nissan 300Z GTU, Peugeot 905 B GTP, both are wide pan bodies that are now available.
Attached Thumbnails Gulf Coast RC Track Racers, Porter Texas (Houston)-mcallister-nissan-300-z-pan-body-004-resized.jpg   Gulf Coast RC Track Racers, Porter Texas (Houston)-peugeot-905b-body-top-view-002-resized.jpg  

Last edited by John Stranahan; 11-02-2006 at 04:51 PM.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:50 PM
Tech Elite

Doug and I had a good Friday practice. I got the track really clean. This will be my contribution to Saturday morning. Traction was good. Should be ideal with the sugar water.

John

Last edited by John Stranahan; 11-03-2006 at 07:27 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.