Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Tennessee-Kentucky Racing
lets build a offroad track in knoxville!! >

lets build a offroad track in knoxville!!

lets build a offroad track in knoxville!!

Old 04-29-2011, 08:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

Wake up bro, Karns is going to be a great track for everyone!
Old 04-29-2011, 11:29 PM
Tech Regular

unless youve put everything into a track like art has is there really a need to bash him? there will be a offroad at kslr and hopefully performance also, plus there are backyard tracks locally that people are willing to let us play on. i speak for myself when i say id rather not have a big huge sponsered track locally cause then youll tend to get people who think of it as a job instead of what it really is which is a toy car hobby.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:34 PM
Tech Regular

and without dumping a few grand in you aint gonna have a "big, good" track as you called it. with pipe being $167 for 100 ft for cheap grade, and you with no machinary, how much you reckon you can build a "top notch" 1/8th scale track for thats hard not easy?
Old 04-29-2011, 11:50 PM
Tech Regular

and u said enough yourself when u said "u dont need $10 grand i built a good track in my godparents yard" sounds like a everday run of the mill "backyard" track to me of course it wouldnt be $10 g's. but u gotta think a full amb is around 4500 starter cost then piping,nails, wood for stands, electricity, permits,water, parking area, restrooms etc i could go on and on with costs ive checked into it all and even with free labor and alot of free materials your still looking at $8k plus for a "commercial business" track
Old 04-29-2011, 11:53 PM
Tech Regular

sorry if i offended anyone but you need to get facts together before u start bashing people for trying to help n give up their land and money n time for a "hobby" they dont participate in just so people can have somewhere decent to run. and regardless if the track didnt suit you dont bash it be happy its there for everone to enjoy not just yourself if u want that then build your own track in your yard
Old 04-30-2011, 05:05 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by dbunch
man you dont need 10k ive built a track in my god parents yard a while back and paid for the piping and it was pretty good and art i dont know the guy but the old track was too stricted and it ran me off and its to small we need buggys and truggys and scts all there gonna worry about is the oval so nothings gonna be done i will find out tomarrow about the land my mom owns she said something a while back about it
Before you go saying things that you have absolutely no idea about, There is an off-road track at KSLR. Art is building it. I am the one building the oval. The oval is not the main priority. If you would go by there and see for yourself you would see that the off-road is being built on top of the hill. Dirt has been excavated and drains have been put in not to mention a retaining wall has been put in. Oh and by the way did I mention that there are light poles put in as well? I don't understand why people have been wanting racing in Knoxville for many years. I used to race in the parking lot of the old Sears building off Central Ave about 25 years ago. That was the only racing that I know of that has ever been in Knoxville. Now when Art has decided to spend a good amount of money on an R/C facility to accommodate different sides of racing, everyone and their brother are building tracks. People just want things their way. You have to look at things that will help the hobby. Not just pacify a few people. Art has alot of plans for his place and if you are patient enough then you can be part of it. Be part of the solution, not the problem. Art has enough problems right now. He don't need someone to come on here and bash him for doing something that he has the energy to go and do. Mother nature makes things difficult when it comes to building a track at this time of the year. We had to start building it at the time that we did so that it wouldn't be late summer before you guys had a place to race. This is just that time of year when the rain happens frequently. I am sorry that things are not happening the way that you want it to, but you have to take what is dealt to you.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:27 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dbunch
and art i dont know the guy but the old track was too stricted and it ran me off and its to small we need buggys and truggys and scts
You also have to remember that last year was just Art's first attempt at building a track! I dont think most ppl could draw the numbers he did on their first attempt. After seeing what worked and what needed work, i feel pretty confident that Art is gonna have a killer track and that it will get better every year. As far as the size of the track, it may have been tight for the 1/8 buggies but most guys ran SCT and had no problem with a tight track.

That being said if you want to build ur own track then have fun with it. May i suggest a location in East Knoxville near Strawberry Plains so i have a close by place to practice during the week? lol