Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Tennessee-Kentucky Racing
Knoxville Area OFF-Road/ON-Road R/C CLUB (EVERYONE WELCOME) >

Knoxville Area OFF-Road/ON-Road R/C CLUB (EVERYONE WELCOME)

Knoxville Area OFF-Road/ON-Road R/C CLUB (EVERYONE WELCOME)

Old 02-14-2011, 04:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Knoxville Area OFF-Road/ON-Road R/C CLUB (EVERYONE WELCOME)

Hi everyone,

As many of you are already aware, R/C enthusiasm continues to be at a high in the local area. In fact, thanks to the energy created at the KSLR off-road track last season, and the good weather coming up, we may actually see the highest participation in the area in many years, but we will need to take some action to keep this going! KSLR hit 38,000 hits recently. For a thread that started in the summer of 2010- that's not to shabby, and it's a tall tell sign that R/C is hot in the East Tennessee area.

According to some pretty reliable sources, at least one hobby store in the area continues to pound out R/C sales on a pretty consistent basis, and they just had one heck of a holiday season. One could argue that it is a combination of things, but certainly location and decent operating hours continue are key, but let’s not forget that fact that KSLR was a hot ticket in the fall with a new track promised in the spring. This has continued to get a bunch of folks either back into the hobby, or introduced them to it for the first time competitively.

To that end, there is a high amount of R/C vehicles being sold or traded in the local area, and people need a consistent place to run their vehicles besides a parking lot or in front of their houses. The problem is that we are going to begin losing momentum because people jumping into the hobby may not know the amount of interest there is. Concurrently, there are a few good options close, but unless we get some focus and support behind them, they unfortunately will go away and we’ll be back to wishing and wanting all over again.

I have an idea that I would like to solicit your feedback on. Please read the whole thing- digest it and then shoot the feedback.

East Tennessee R/C has what one would call a lot of thrust but very little vector. We all want to run, and we all have our preferred classes, but we lack a focused interface with the great people willing to give us what we want- track owners.

Speaking from just a couple of years experience tracks with long term staying power (in this hobby 2 years is a long time) there are two main factors: 1) have a well stocked hobby shop with regular customers that hang out and are action people willing to turn an idea into reality while momentum is hot. 2) Have an R/C focus group with participating members that can serve to decipher/interpret what the enthusiast in the area want see/do and communicate with local track owners in order to minimize everyone’s risk. If you don’t have the first, you can help bring folks to the shops by communicating and organizing to build it that local support.

Let’s face it. Tracks spring up fast and die even faster because people either don’t get the word, don’t like the classes run, or the track loses money. At the same time, folks get into R/C fast and can be out in less than a season taking a big loss on the way out of the hobby. Big risk on both sides.

My proposal is to start with any person interested in R/C to consider joining a few other enthusiasts and gets something more formal and focused in an effort to sort through all the options, and more importantly to provide a common voice for the average enthusiast back to the R/C track owners.

The main objective of the club/focus group will be to draw out the shy newcomer, inform the half interested causal racer, and unite to help keep tracks viable. I have much more to share, but only if collectively we want to explore this.

In the end – we should all be looking out for each other so time and money isn’t wasted. This goes for hobby goers and track owners alike.
Bottom line: let’s be proactive so that R/C can stay in the area for years not months!!

Your Feedback is welcome, both pros and cons will be taken as constructive criticism. PMs are also appropriate if I managed to hit a nerve, but please know this was not the intent. If we can’t resolve it through written communication- I will meet you in person and we can settle up. I’m small but kind of spicy.

Thanks for your time,

Changing name from LUVTORUN to JUSTWANNARUN

Last edited by luvtorun; 02-14-2011 at 04:49 PM. Reason: technical correction
Old 02-14-2011, 05:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

I think it would be a great idea, I also think while the KSLR has been down there has been a large growth in interest as to what KSLR has to offer. When I tell someone what my hobby is and show them a video or pics they say wow thats awesome. Look at Gentry for example, all I did is show him a bone stock sc10 at 323 raceway and he now owns more rc cars than I do lol. A club or focus group would be great IMO. most of all I just hope we still have a great place to race!!

Last edited by BMenard17; 02-14-2011 at 05:53 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

I'm all for giving input where needed. Given i'm just a broke computer geek who just got a car in October, but I want more...lots more. MY hurtles: 1) Wife 2) Near by track., the landlord pretty much shot down the idea of a course in back yard before I even got it out of my mouth obviously someone who has never driven one of these things. This ain't no New Brite from the Wally World.

I am more than willing to throw money at it, if that's what it takes(not that I have a lot to throw). I mean that's the only way to make an rc car have faster laps right? should apply to tracks too.

Any how - in case no one knew: I am a computer/gadget geek, and a software engineer. I have tons of knowledge in those areas(not much know how in rc yet) and if there is any need in the hobby - lap counting computer? or anything similar - let me know. I have stacks of computer stuff laying around, and am working on some cool features of an RC-Centric mobile App for iPhone, Android and new BlackBerrys to hopefully spur some LHS and Track awareness.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

sounds like a great idea!
Old 02-15-2011, 04:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I sat as secretary for a model airplane club, STARS, for 4 years. We had a group of 25 core members. With that we held a regional event every year with the highest attendance over 500 airplanes. We bought a piece of land, built a building, bought a tractor and mowing equipment, had regular gatherings, flight school, building tips, flea market, auction, monthly meetings ect. ect. We held a 501(3)(c) had officers and most importantly, a ton of fun. Oh and this was 21 years ago, and they are still doing all that today. The momentum never stopped.

The "club" would solidify not only our hobby, but make it available to future generations. How nice that would be.

Dues + Hard Work = Success for the club. Remember I mentioned 25 core members? We had 75 on the books and they payed their dues, but that's where it ended. Oddly enough, we couldn't survive without them.

Lets roll with this idea! Hey lets call it "KARS" Knoxville Area Radiocontrol Society. You'll all have to add the word "radiocontrol" to your spell check dictionary. Just kidding, but lets come up with something and make it our own.

I'm in
Old 02-15-2011, 11:05 AM
Tech Regular

Default Feedback received!!

I've already received some very positive feedback on getting some minds together.

Nothing too over the top, but I've already heard people wanting to learn more.

In fact, some of the more experienced racers in the area are stepping up and are willing to "teach" their techniques to maximize the fun and stretch your R/C dollar.

R/C clinics Coming soon:

Painting R/C bodies

Painting ladies bodies- wait that's and advanced lesson

Vehicle Upgrades- the must haves vs the nice to haves
Offroad tuning/set up
Onroad tuning/set up
Nitro Engine Break-In and maint.
Building Shocks and Differentials
R/C Racing Protocol
How to buy an R/C vehicle i.e. picking the right class for you
How to sell/trade up an R/C vehicle

Keep the feedback coming...
Old 02-15-2011, 06:20 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by luvtorun
I've already received some very positive feedback on getting some minds together.

Painting ladies bodies- wait that's and advanced lesson

Keep the feedback coming...
HAHA! On the subject of bodies;

A very English sounding dude we all know, who will remain nameless, once told me He wished his wife was an RC car...

Then he could pull some pins and put a new body on her!
Old 02-15-2011, 06:49 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Great idea

I think this is a great idea. There are a ton of commercial buildings that are empty. Maybe we could find one and set up an indoor carpet track. John makes some great points too. Let's get a core group and make it happen. The reason I like indoor is we can race year-round and also we don't have to worry about wind, rain, debris, etc.....

Syd
Old 02-15-2011, 06:57 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TNSnoopy
There are a ton of commercial buildings that are empty. Maybe we could find one and set up an indoor carpet track.
Syd
Do you have any leads on any buildings? Would you care to spend a few minutes and try to see what is available? It would be interesting to see whats out there.

As the focus group/club starts to network together I bet there will be tons of opportunities arising.

I'll be contacting a guy who has a building on Sherrill blvd tomorrow he would like to be used for an indoor track.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:20 PM
Tech Regular

hey john , george sounds like itll be a go and hopefully with your input and maybe a few others he will realize we are serious bout this hobby, there are a bunch of vacancies in farragut
Old 02-16-2011, 04:17 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Buildings

I am happy to try to see what is out there. I do have one idea that would be great if we could use it. I will see what I can find out.

Syd
Old 02-16-2011, 05:55 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by JS-toe
HAHA! On the subject of bodies;

A very English sounding dude we all know, who will remain nameless, once told me He wished his wife was an RC car...

Then he could pull some pins and put a new body on her!
Nope, Just want to put another silencer on her
Old 02-16-2011, 06:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DarrenM
Nope, Just want to put another silencer on her
Just set her backlash properly. That will help with both silence and responsiveness. It also really helps to keep things smooth.

...Sorry...
Old 02-16-2011, 10:10 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I think that this is the best idea I've ever seen posted on this site! Over the last two years I've gotten myself into this hobby and have had to read and search for almost everything I now know. The tech help sessions would be a big hit for sure. A lot of lost interest comes from not being competitive once you finally hit the track. Its discouraging when you don't finish well or you feel like you were outclassed. If the veteran guys would all share some info and keep the interest in the newbs then it would make for a lot happier racers and bashers and also make for better racing and morale at the track.

I know from 1:1 racing experience that the big companies all hold seminars about shock setup and suspension geometry. They also have driving seminars where they take the drivers out onto the track and watch them for a few laps. Then they can further help them become faster by teaching them smoother driving techniques and ways to adjust to track conditions. It would be great to hold a track day where some veteran drivers showed up and showed the rookies the ropes of getting around the track.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:27 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rsawyers9
I think that this is the best idea I've ever seen posted on this site! Over the last two years I've gotten myself into this hobby and have had to read and search for almost everything I now know. The tech help sessions would be a big hit for sure. A lot of lost interest comes from not being competitive once you finally hit the track. Its discouraging when you don't finish well or you feel like you were outclassed. If the veteran guys would all share some info and keep the interest in the newbs then it would make for a lot happier racers and bashers and also make for better racing and morale at the track.

I know from 1:1 racing experience that the big companies all hold seminars about shock setup and suspension geometry. They also have driving seminars where they take the drivers out onto the track and watch them for a few laps. Then they can further help them become faster by teaching them smoother driving techniques and ways to adjust to track conditions. It would be great to hold a track day where some veteran drivers showed up and showed the rookies the ropes of getting around the track.

You are right on target. We all started somewhere and while the best way to learn is through trial and error to some extent- my hopes would be to keep people interested by starting them off on the right foot.

Fortunatley for us, we have tons of really great people in the area, and we've all seen first hand that they are willing to show you what they know.

Heck- some guys will even pull over if they feel they took you out to allow you to recover and get back in the race. That's classy, but don't expect this in a money race

I would like to tell you more about the plans we have in mind and pass on some set up tricks your way, so if you have a chance stop by and see us at Sir Goony's on Sunday. We'll be there around 1:30 setting up.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.