Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Tennessee-Kentucky Racing
What happen to 1/8 Latemodel in E. TN.? >

What happen to 1/8 Latemodel in E. TN.?

What happen to 1/8 Latemodel in E. TN.?

Old 01-31-2011, 10:13 AM
Tech Adept

I started out racing oval and liked it until the late models started showing up. Like I said before there are too many rules and ways to get around them. Some people get upset when someone comes up with a "work around" for the rules. I have not seen any fights on the stand but have seen several dust ups in the pits and lots of complaining to the track owner.

Most of us do not have any sponsors and even fewer get paid. So why do so many oval racers (not just RC) get so upset when they get beat? Takes away a lot of the fun of racing.

Oval races are so short that when you get bumped or miss a turn there is no way to recover and you end up losing. Which upsets a lot of oval drivers. Off road that is part of the racing.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Oval and Offroad are just different games...and there is obviously fun to be had at both. What I like about offroad is that you can buy an out of the box car/truck from one of the companies that make a real race car(asssociated, losi, etc), put a basic set-up on the car off their website, put the right tire on the thing and guess what? If you drive it, you can win. We don't worry about people cheating because it doesn't matter. Tires matter. Driving matters, the end.

Oval has a little more "black art" involved to it. You must learn how to set the car up, car matters more than driver to a certain extent. On the upside when the racing is close it provides some good nose to tail action.

If you like to tinker, test, make changes with a stop watch in hand trying to get faster you will like oval.....if you like try to get as much radio time as possible improving skills and just drive it you will like offroad.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

oval = black art
off-road = leprechaun joo joo
Old 01-31-2011, 06:18 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Limywidget
oval = black art
second place is first loser.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:25 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

It's getting deep in here...Stirring the sewage.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

like a bucket and a stick....or barrel and a paddle.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:33 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Limywidget
oval = black art
Old 02-01-2011, 10:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

What a timely article from the folks at RCCarAction.com
Clicky
Old 02-01-2011, 12:20 PM
Tech Addict

Default RC Car Action

Nice info! Spec racing is a cool thing, but it must be well thought out or you can make it more expensive than open. For example if you spec a motor and speed control but don't spec a battery or tech the battery, you just created a battery war.

In offroad there is only one war (tire war) and since most of us have more power than we should have anyway, all spec power would do is protect us from ourselves.....admittedly, I do need protecting at times.

With that said, if a track decided on a spec tire in offroad, it could be a good thing....of course someone would figure out how to make a custom insert that gives 15% more traction

Imo the tracks that do well are like a big family. We are all trying to be better racers together. Sure, we are racing and want to beat each other, but that shouldn't stop us from helping each other. Compared to other regions of the country we stink anyway, so what's the point of watching our fellow racer struggle so we can win a little local race. If you are one of the fast guy you should help the new guys get up to speed. Not just answer the specific questions a fellow racer may have but give them the information they don't know they don't know. Interesting concept huh. I will always share my set-up with anyone that wants it at a local race or diagnose a problem or whatever. There have been times I knew there was something wrong with my car but just couldn't find the problem, ask my fellow racer to look at it, who instantly sees a problem. Open, or Spec, fast or slow, up and down or round and round, ---sportsmanship and comradery and sense of TEAM with a local racing community goes farther than rules imo.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by grubster
Oval and Offroad are just different games...and there is obviously fun to be had at both. What I like about offroad is that you can buy an out of the box car/truck from one of the companies that make a real race car(asssociated, losi, etc), put a basic set-up on the car off their website, put the right tire on the thing and guess what? If you drive it, you can win. We don't worry about people cheating because it doesn't matter. Tires matter. Driving matters, the end.

Oval has a little more "black art" involved to it. You must learn how to set the car up, car matters more than driver to a certain extent. On the upside when the racing is close it provides some good nose to tail action.

If you like to tinker, test, make changes with a stop watch in hand trying to get faster you will like oval.....if you like try to get as much radio time as possible improving skills and just drive it you will like offroad.
I haven't ever seen it put quite so well- excellent ponits.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:33 AM
Tech Adept

This is exactly why R/C faded so much for a decade....

And the re-birth when the Slash spec class came about. No changes, just dial in what came in the box. 8.4 nimhs and a quick charger.

Now we're back up to a SCT Stock class (tires=$15-25/pr), maybe lipos/lipo charger (but it's inevitable due to the technology increase)

MOD SCT 2wd class (throw anywhere from $60 to $300 for new ESC/brushless motor) and a pair of tires, maybe some shocks. Throw big money at Lipos/charger if you want....

SCT 4wd class (they essentially come with brushless technology out of the box) so it's an open class as-is, and just the model itself is quite a bit more expensive so there won't be too many in that class that don't know what they're doing on a track.

But hey, I really enjoy racing Stock SCT, it's a pure driver's class. I really enjoy the MOD SCT 2wd as it is faster than stock, which also creates a lot more margin of error due to the speeds involved. Another driver's class, slow is fast and you can't win a race with your model on its lid all the time.

I just have a problem trying to understand why someone would throw thousand(s) of dollars at a foot long car to drive (drift?) in circles a tenth of a second faster than the next guy and three laps in front of the guy who just bought his latemodel RC??

The crew we race with don't really hide anything...."Most of the guys like these tires or those springs, you might wanna try this on your steering...." We help each other to go faster as much as we can, no real secrets because it really is about the driving for us.

I dunno....maybe THAT is why latemodel has fallen by the wayside.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:54 AM
Tech Regular

oval racing would be fun if they allowed full contact
just playing i just get bored going roundy round there is challenges in all forms of rc racing but i agree that sct is more the driver than setup where as oval you have to have good setup no matter your wheeling skills
Old 02-08-2011, 03:29 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Claymore5150
This is exactly why R/C faded so much for a decade....

And the re-birth when the Slash spec class came about. No changes, just dial in what came in the box. 8.4 nimhs and a quick charger.

Now we're back up to a SCT Stock class (tires=$15-25/pr), maybe lipos/lipo charger (but it's inevitable due to the technology increase)

MOD SCT 2wd class (throw anywhere from $60 to $300 for new ESC/brushless motor) and a pair of tires, maybe some shocks. Throw big money at Lipos/charger if you want....

SCT 4wd class (they essentially come with brushless technology out of the box) so it's an open class as-is, and just the model itself is quite a bit more expensive so there won't be too many in that class that don't know what they're doing on a track.

But hey, I really enjoy racing Stock SCT, it's a pure driver's class. I really enjoy the MOD SCT 2wd as it is faster than stock, which also creates a lot more margin of error due to the speeds involved. Another driver's class, slow is fast and you can't win a race with your model on its lid all the time.

I just have a problem trying to understand why someone would throw thousand(s) of dollars at a foot long car to drive (drift?) in circles a tenth of a second faster than the next guy and three laps in front of the guy who just bought his latemodel RC??

The crew we race with don't really hide anything...."Most of the guys like these tires or those springs, you might wanna try this on your steering...." We help each other to go faster as much as we can, no real secrets because it really is about the driving for us.

I dunno....maybe THAT is why latemodel has fallen by the wayside.
I agree with some of your assessments. I say this once again nobody has put a gun to anyone's head to buy the cars. It is entirely up to them. I have a couple of things that I am going to work on for Art this year that will eliminate the people that are screaming about the not being able to keep up unless I buy this high dollar car accusations. This class will be for anybody running anything that they want at any skill level. When it is all said and done the one that is the most consistant will be the one winning the races. It won't matter if you have a $200 car or a $20,000 car. If you think that oval racers are keeping secrets then you come and see me. I will help anybody at any given time with their car. Just don't bring me an Ofna because I only work on real race cars.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:23 AM
Tech Adept

Nice on the OFNA comment...that's a good one!

There are a lot of guys who will help when it comes to setups, etc., no matter what type of racing is going on.

Shoot, most of the Karns crowd will let you borrow half the tools in their box, spare servos, extra tires, extra servo extenders, you name it. Wrench on your model with you and make sure you don't go hungry or thirsty.

We are very lucky with the crowd of good folks that race around Knoxville.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Claymore5150
Nice on the OFNA comment...that's a good one!

There are a lot of guys who will help when it comes to setups, etc., no matter what type of racing is going on.

Shoot, most of the Karns crowd will let you borrow half the tools in their box, spare servos, extra tires, extra servo extenders, you name it. Wrench on your model with you and make sure you don't go hungry or thirsty.

We are very lucky with the crowd of good folks that race around Knoxville.
THIS is why I love the hobby.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.