Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road > Team and Company Discussions
DC Motor Sports Discussion Thread: >

DC Motor Sports Discussion Thread:

DC Motor Sports Discussion Thread:

Old 07-04-2005, 07:28 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Fatboy Joe
Hi Curtis,

The motor just came alive w power when i followed your instructions. i hit the track as soon as you posted your reply. i hvent touched the timing yet but im already very happy with the available power, now i got more options with tuning for more punch. What more if I was using a UL Arm, il be flying Thanks for the help Curtis.
Hey Joe, glad to hear those changes helped out.

Curtis,
Old 07-04-2005, 07:40 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by DIMO
hey Guys. I am getting myself a DC 7x1. Just wandering what settings i should use on my ESC its a Novak TC. And the track requires a mix of torque/power so what timming should i use. Its my first ever go into modified racing. So dou guys have any tips.
Hey Dimo,

The Std. Mod setting on your Novak Speedo will be a good starting point. I believe its profile # 5 (someone correct me if I’m mistaken)…. For 7 turns we set the timing a 12 degrees, this setting offers good overall performance. Depending on your track size and how technical the layout is you’ll find that somewhere between 6-15 degrees will offer optimum performance…Hope this helps.

Curtis,
Old 07-04-2005, 08:02 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by JamesSchumacher
Hi Curtis,

This is my first post here and I'm glad that DC has such a big group of supporter. I recently tuned DC motors for a racer in Reedy Asia. My driver handed me two Cobolt based motors with 8 turns Ultra Light arms. When I looked at it, I worried about the satuation as a lot of metal was shaved away. And the round brushes also worry me as the punch and torque will be less (width of brush is wider than standard stand up brush).

I have several questions that would like to have your precious comment:

1) Will the arm over-satuated easily?
2) Will harder spring for Cobolt base motor available?
3) What config of brush is the best for touring? Stand up size? Round? Or the oringal size and cut accordingly to the diameter of the comm?
4) Will hole drilling on XXX brush help the performance?

Thanks for your advice before hand and keep on your good work!

Schumacher

Hi James,

Over saturation of the armatures steel is not something to worry about, especially with today’s batteries, i.e. over-saturation is just a technical way of saying the armature would be less efficient… That’s just a side effect of altering the current design to make more power.

Purple springs are the hardest available for the cobalt, I usually recommend bending an additional 45 degrees more tension into the spring for more overall performance.

Here just recently we starting supplying our XXX series mods with narrow face brushes for winds below 10 turns, as this helps create more bottom end torque… 3.8-3.9mm seems to offer the best overall performance, regardless the comm. size… Your absolutely right that a round brush offers less bottom end, the side effect being a motor that can be used multiple times before needing to be trued.

Drilling a hole into the brushes face is something we have yet to experiment with on our mod motors. I’ve heard of people trying this in stock and spec motors with positive results… I would imagine that this would help to increase bottom-end torque (provided the hole wasn’t to big), just my opinion…

Curtis,
Old 07-04-2005, 08:04 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by steve eaves
Ran the 19t's today wow!!Aweaome hp Curtis thanks man,making another order tues i will give you a call
Right on Steve, give me a call tomorrow.....

Curtis,
Old 07-04-2005, 08:44 AM
Tech Rookie

Thx for your reply Curtis. I think I'll fall in love with DC motors soon....

James

Last edited by JamesSchumacher; 07-04-2005 at 03:46 PM.
Old 07-04-2005, 05:02 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Curtis,

Hope your 4th is going good.

Call me when you get a sec.

Almost sold out of Stock motors

K
Old 07-04-2005, 05:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

sent ya a PM
Mo
Old 07-04-2005, 06:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Mo, you coming out to Trackside on the 30th with The Gate guys? If you hadn't heard, Scotty is having the 5th Annual Summer Sizzler. Turnout is gonna be real good, especially in mod and 19t foam. Expect at least 100+ guys, if not more.
Old 07-04-2005, 07:50 PM
Tech Elite

yeah I wish I could make it, but I just moved to W. Virginia and the drive would be a little too long, I am still thinking about it but its looking like no for now. I am sure with Scotty having it, its going to be a blast, cant wait for Vegas.
Mo
Old 07-04-2005, 10:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Mo,

You move for a job? or just running from the law? LOL

How you been man?

later,

Michael Skeen
Thunder RC
Old 07-04-2005, 11:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default noobie question

I have just purchased one of the V2 stlye DC motors and have heard somewhere that you need to undergear these motors, is this correct? Also, what sort of gearing (rough ballpark) should I be using on a fairly large outdoor asphalt track? (8x2) The Losi manual says to use something around 8.68 to 9.01 (JRXS).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:13 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by DirtyDog3375
I have just purchased one of the V2 stlye DC motors and have heard somewhere that you need to undergear these motors, is this correct? Also, what sort of gearing (rough ballpark) should I be using on a fairly large outdoor asphalt track? (8x2) The Losi manual says to use something around 8.68 to 9.01 (JRXS).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
For a large track, the 8.68 gearing sounds good. Should be close.....

Curtis,
Old 07-05-2005, 02:26 PM
Tech Elite

Hey Mike,
not running YET!!! just had to relocate for a job

Brian, looks like I will be there after all forgot it was a satuday race.
Mo
Old 07-05-2005, 05:09 PM
Tech Elite

Curtis YGPM
Old 07-05-2005, 07:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Mo, Sweet! Mod?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.