R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road > Team and Company Discussions

Old 02-14-2011, 05:39 PM   #16
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

To everyone who has been looking for XRay ECS drive shafts it appears that RCAmerica has gotten a shipment in as the major retailers all appear to have them in stock now. The best price in the USA still appears to be at Ampdraw (52mm) -> Stormer (50mm) -> Nexus (both) and finally AMain (both).
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / MaxRotation FPV Drone Racing / Shop@ Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:57 PM   #17
Tech Fanatic

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Ashford Hobby has them at good price too...

http://ashfordhobby.com/detail.aspx?ID=7014

http://ashfordhobby.com/detail.aspx?ID=7015
Old 02-14-2011, 06:58 PM   #18
Tech Champion

Good call Ralph -- sorry for leaving Robert out of my list...
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / MaxRotation FPV Drone Racing / Shop@ Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
Old 02-26-2011, 12:28 AM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default TC6

I am thinking about ordering your outdrives for my TC6. I have looked at your website but I have some questions.

1. Do you have any pictures other that the 1 on your website of the TC6 with your outdrives, a top spool, xray caster blocks and ecs shafts all installed?

2. Do you recommend 50mm or 52mm ecs universals on the TC6?

3. What do you mean "steel steering bushings" to make the Xray Caster blocks work on a TC6?

4. Can you use the TC6 steering blocks with the Xray Caster blocks?

5. Is it possible to use the TC6 caster blocks and dremel them out to clear?

Thanks,

Troy
Old 02-26-2011, 03:05 PM   #20
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Mckune View Post
I am thinking about ordering your outdrives for my TC6. I have looked at your website but I have some questions.

1. Do you have any pictures other that the 1 on your website of the TC6 with your outdrives, a top spool, xray caster blocks and ecs shafts all installed?
Hi Troy - I unfortunately do not have any pictures of a race ready TC6 w/ the Mira out drives yet. Recently I've had one or two Associated runners purchase them but they were waiting on XRay parts to come in. I'll have to follow back up w/ them...

Quote:
2. Do you recommend 50mm or 52mm ecs universals on the TC6?
Not sure yet -- my gut says 50mm. We still haven't done the 50mm vs 52mm bake off on the Photon chassis. I suspect this will happen next weekend....

Quote:
3. What do you mean "steel steering bushings" to make the Xray Caster blocks work on a TC6?
These are the little, expensive bushings that go into the C-hubs between the plastic and the screw. You know, the things that are easily lost if you break a knuckle or c-hub

Quote:
4. Can you use the TC6 steering blocks with the Xray Caster blocks?
You should be able to. I suspect they will need some shimming to take away any of the slop. If you provide me with the height measurement on the TC6 steering blocks I'll compare them with the XRay parts.

Quote:
5. Is it possible to use the TC6 caster blocks and dremel them out to clear?
I think it could be possible, but I imagine they will be a bit fragile. I do have two data points for you -- I would recommend asking Keven on his thread.

1- If your not interested in running XRay parts I know that Hebert used to run Losi c-hubs on this TC5, but he has stopped doing this with the TC6.
2- Hebert is using a hand modified Associated Slipper Spool with XRay ECS. He isn't using any other XRay parts. I spoke to him briefly at Snowbirds about the Mira outdrives but he is trying to keep his car as stock as possible this time around.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:29 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

For the BD5 do I use Yokomo's steering knuckles or Xray's steering knuckles with Xray's caster block also which ECS 50mm or 52mm. Just tryin to get my oder right
dawgmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 04:09 PM   #22
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgmeat View Post
For the BD5 do I use Yokomo's steering knuckles or Xray's steering knuckles with Xray's caster block also which ECS 50mm or 52mm. Just tryin to get my oder right
You can use either the Yokomo or XRay steering knuckles -- the important part is the C-Hub. You can run either the ECS 50mm or 52mm shafts -- but we have been mostly running the 50mm ones..

You can find a discussion about the use of XRay caster blocks on the following three pages (you had asked a question on a page or two after these links). Please look for the postings from 'matt rem' or 'fpart' -- they are locals at my track who have been running XRay caster blocks in two different ways on their BD-5

1) re-drilling the arm and using an XRay hinge pin
2) using a 2mm ID/3mm OD graphite rod stock over the yokomo hinge pin.

New Yokomo TC, the BD-5
New Yokomo TC, the BD-5
New Yokomo TC, the BD-5
Old 02-27-2011, 04:11 PM   #23
Tech Champion

Also remember that XRay C-hubs require the XRay 30 2291 STEEL STEERING BUSHING (2+2) no matter which Steering Blocks are used.

Depending upon the track and conditions we've been running 4 degree or 6 degree C-hubs ... but I can count on my one hand how many times I've run the 6 degree C-hubs.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:10 PM   #24
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Second weekend with the new outdrives. I'm using 52mm in my Photon. No ware on the blades. Awesome job with this Mike.
See you track side soon.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:16 PM   #25
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW141 View Post
Second weekend with the new outdrives. I'm using 52mm in my Photon. No ware on the blades. Awesome job with this Mike.
See you track side soon.
Steve - that is great news! Please help spread the word . I'll be at Horsham this Saturday (3/5). Where have you been running? C's?

Also, to everyone who placed an order last week they will be shipping out tomorrow.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:18 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanulec View Post
Also remember that XRay C-hubs require the XRay 30 2291 STEEL STEERING BUSHING (2+2) no matter which Steering Blocks are used.

Depending upon the track and conditions we've been running 4 degree or 6 degree C-hubs ... but I can count on my one hand how many times I've run the 6 degree C-hubs.
Thank you lots of info
dawgmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:47 PM   #27
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanulec View Post
Steve - that is great news! Please help spread the word . I'll be at Horsham this Saturday (3/5). Where have you been running? C's?

Also, to everyone who placed an order last week they will be shipping out tomorrow.
Ya I've been at The "C" the last 8 weeks. You need to make outdrives for the U-Pro gear diff. I want to run that in the front for the out door season. Don't want to switch back to the spec-r ecs's.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:19 PM   #28
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW141 View Post
Ya I've been at The "C" the last 8 weeks. You need to make outdrives for the U-Pro gear diff. I want to run that in the front for the out door season. Don't want to switch back to the spec-r ecs's.
I haven't been back to C's since the 2009 Nats... maybe I can make it down there before Jackson opens up at the end of April.

Honestly though, for the outdoor season, I think you'll just need a rear gear diff, and a front spool will be money. If your running a front gear diff I don't think you need LCD/ECS. If you really, really want to run a front gear diff along w/ the XRay ECS the best option is to buy the Spec-R Yokomo Gear Diff & the Spec-R 7075 Aluminum Hard Coated Gear Diff. Joint (For SPR0009-XR) -- http://www.egrracing.com/shop/7075-a...xr-p-4354.html

I cannot say I'm a big fan of the U-Pro gear diff. I'm much more interested in the Yokomo gear diff (its like the Spec-R but doesn't leak like crazy).
Old 02-28-2011, 03:39 PM   #29
Tech Champion

Troy - I just got the scoop from a TC6 drivers who has the Mira outdrives but has asked to be un-named. ( I guess some companies aren't "down" with Side Pieces -- thanks for being understanding EJ! ). I hope the information helps you.

#1 depending upon how narrow you run your car, you'll probably want the 50mm XRay ECS

#2 you have to shave the AE steering block to get the steering throw back to stock

#3 you can't use an AE caster block, you would remove far too much material

#4 the arm hole need to be drilled out to fit the XRay hinge pins. he used a #34 drill bit which is equal to 3.09mm. you can get true 3mm drill bits from mcmaster.com instead too...

#5 I also had to shave the arm and the caster block to allow it to get the correct camber angle. after shaving the AE arm and XRay caster blocks they still took some hard hits and survived

-Mike
Old 03-02-2011, 07:18 PM   #30
Tech Champion

Side Piece Racing customers have gone international! On Monday I shipped to Australia, and tomorrow a packages goes to New Zealand