R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road > Team and Company Discussions

Like Tree24Likes

Old 01-17-2005, 11:44 AM   #1186
J-P
Tech Regular

hey guys,

run the f-line brush's at dms with colin, awesome, had good power and very consitant and no fade, easy on the com as well, just cleaned it up with a com stick after each run. just missed put on the stock A (pole in the B) but thats down to batterys!! just waiting to get new ones for the summer,

well done on producing these brush's eric.

thanks for the help and advice again colin.

J-P
J-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 12:17 PM   #1187
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

I have been up Milton keynes indoor track (carpet), testing brushes with the great Andy East (2005 national uk stock & stcc stock chimp,i mean chump, no no CHAMPION)

he set he`s car up last week for this
We had 767`s,putnam grn/blue (he used these all last year), F-line & another which nearly caused a mini nucklear explosion ,great balls of fire.
anyway
767 vertical slot 10.6 69.1c(temp)
putnam 10.482 72.4
F-line v-slot 10.336 74.6
F-line full face 10.301 77.4

So he/we have done our bit in testing & we are going with f-lines full face , no dyno`s here. just the car, track & driver, And the noise ( pitch of the motor) sounded real good. Andy said it felt there was power right the way through the rev range & they were real nice to the comm, unlike putnams & 767

One thing we did do was to tweak the red+spring a nats(stiffer) (grn-/red+ combo). it felt the + side had a little brushe bounce at high revs ,so it burnt more then the - side ,after we done this both sides were coming of the same condition, we think the purples would have been to much

when andy done the test he did`nt know which brush was what
mind you the putnam grn shunts is a bit of a givaway & erics `F` stamped on the end did`nt help

So all in all Andy is using the F-line to power the motor to victory & beyond (i hope )

Last edited by MR JOLLY; 01-20-2005 at 03:24 PM.
MR JOLLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 02:26 PM   #1188
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brandon Melton

Quote:
Originally posted by kmorast
It's the exact same gearing I've run on other monsters, 28/100 (8.404). I've also tried 27/100 (8.715), same results. I've even noticed the power drop off when I'm breaking the motor in; after only a couple minutes of break in the motors start to lose RPM.
With these gear ratios, it sounds like your problem may be from UNDER gearing the motor. Unless you race in a shoe box, those ratios are way to low (too high of a number). When you under gear, the motor spins at peak RPM for way too long, thus causing it too fall off and it will also over heat it. If you got the motor way too hot, it could have weakened the magnets. I believe EA has a zapper, check his website for his rebuilding info, that may be what it will need, but just try running it with a taller gear first, it may still be fine. How big is your track? The gear you described sounds like an AE car.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:14 PM   #1189
Tech Regular

The track is a shoe box, the longest straight is only 50 feet. It's only at full speed for about 3 maybe 4 seconds. It's a Yokomo, I will try different springs and see how that works.
kmorast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 08:51 AM   #1190
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TeamButter

Old 01-18-2005, 10:37 AM   #1191
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

Hello EA,

I ran my Tamiya F201 the other day with one of my EA tuned ROAR stocks. It had gobs of top end power with the fixed gearing and tires. How can I turn the motor from an RPM motor to a PURE Torque motor?

Any ideas what motor would be best in the F201? The motor was so hot after 5-minutes you could smell epoxy 5' away before picked it up. I shot it with the airgun for a long time to make sure the chassis didnt warp

Thanks,
Ray
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 11:37 AM   #1192
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Turbonium

hey Ray...
have you done any drilling/cutting around the motor area? those cars dont have very much airflow around the motor. they do allow for that in the TCS rules...

plus, the only Tamiya overall gearing is limited to 5.88 on the high-speed (52/23) option, or 7.15 on the stock (55/20) set. might be a little much, depending on your track size....

Team Novak
Turbonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 12:13 PM   #1193
Tech Champion

Tamiyadriver-thanks!! I will get some more air to the motor area via drilling and drmeling. I can tell that a 19t motor would be very well geared for this layout, but I just got the car and its not handling well yet-so i dont want to put a faster motor in it yet. Though I might have to to keep the heat down and keep from roasting one of my stock motors!!
Old 01-18-2005, 12:18 PM   #1194
Tech Elite

just think about the TCS i went to... Memphis in July-August! thats some heat... got 3rd place, tho!!!

i drew a pattern of the bottom under the motor, and drilled a nice looking set of holes... plus, i also removed a vertical section on the inside of the motor, towards where the ecs is mounted. they also allow for mods to allow easier wiring, so i used that to my advantage... makes a little more room for airflow. some where mounting the ever popular fans, too.

if i get a chance this eve, ill snap a pic to show what i am talking about.

i think when i first started running mine, i think i tossed in an old P2K with the 7.15, just to get a feel for the handling.

Team Novak
Old 01-18-2005, 12:22 PM   #1195
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by tamiyadriver
just think about the TCS i went to... Memphis in July-August! thats some heat... got 3rd place, tho!!!

i drew a pattern of the bottom under the motor, and drilled a nice looking set of holes... plus, i also removed a vertical section on the inside of the motor, towards where the ecs is mounted. they also allow for mods to allow easier wiring, so i used that to my advantage... makes a little more room for airflow. some where mounting the ever popular fans, too.

Boy-all that time in doing my killer wiring job on my f1 car just to find out I could have cut chassis to fit my needs. Though I have to admit-my wiring job was pretty cool. I got a GT7 in with cap and schottly and a KO 301 RX!!!!

DO you thik a Fan is legal at a TCS event?
Old 01-18-2005, 12:25 PM   #1196
Tech Master
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by tamiyadriver

i think when i first started running mine, i think i tossed in an old P2K with the 7.15, just to get a feel for the handling.
He ain't kidding. If the motor will last here in Memphis in July/August with close to 100* heat and 100% humidity, the mod will keep the motor cool anywhere.
NismoSkyline17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 12:30 PM   #1197
Tech Fanatic

With track temps hitting the low 150's, it was definitely a scorcher!

Ray, Gary from TamiyaUSA told us that the fans were indeed legal due to the intense heat. Doesn't hurt to double check, though. IIRC, they were also legal at TCS Nats.

Rob
Rob
Rob Mincey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 12:30 PM   #1198
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to tc3stocker Send a message via Yahoo to tc3stocker

100% humidity is raining buddy!

This is from Brad at the Hobby Shop.
tc3stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 12:32 PM   #1199
Tech Master
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by tc3stocker
100% humidity is raining buddy!

This is from Brad at the Hobby Shop.
Fine 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 999999999999999999992% humidity.

Smart@$$
NismoSkyline17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 12:42 PM   #1200
Tech Elite

all i remember is that it was freeakin' HOT!!!! good times, tho! and yup, as i remember, Fred said that the fans consitute electronic components, so they were deemed OK for use.

Team Novak