Search

On-Point Racing

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 01:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RacinJ
SWEEET ride Bob.

Chicky, Will you be putting out a front end brace for the 12R5 version of your car?
Originally Posted by chicky03
Awesome, nice job Bob!!!!!

Did you change the setup?
ran it with the Chicky base line setup, but I think it felt more like a "big event" car. Where Lot's of cars and lot's of traction down would have been ideal, rather than a weekend regional kind of thing. I was running out of traction at 6 minutes and had to be more careful. most of that was older carpet "fuzzing up" and how it will wrap around a tire, kind of stuff. I don't feel it was a comment on the car, it's a comment on older carpet.

And it was tough to find traction anyway with 10.5 open speedo. GOOD GRIEF they are fast indoors. I hadn't run any 10.5 in a long time. Seems most places have been 13.5 for a while now. I had what I'll call "crazy" torque, and the car put it down effortlessly. 10.5 open speedo, to me, felt like 6.5 standard speedo. Crazy fast indoors.

This track was VERY big for an indoor track with 12 foot lanes. Lot of touring guys sweeping ALL THE WAY out to the walls too. This put the really good traction WAY further out than I wanted to drive the car.
The good news was I truly felt I could put the car anywhere. Bad news was that I found myself where the traction wasn't in a few corners. Like I didn't want to sweep out all the way to the wall on the back straight, like maybe only 6 feet was fine. But if you did there weren't enough guys running down there so you'd enter the corner loose. So I found myself having to run the car way out where the touring guys were putting the traction down.

Car was very confidence inspiring. I felt very good with the car. My Old 12r5.1 (that I run 17.5 with, and took 2nd with at this event in 17.5) is headed for retirement. Putting together another On Point car.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:51 PM
Tech Elite

They had ride height set at 3mm minimum. I was there for a while and remembered that I had this theory about how temporary tracks and carpet that's not laid glued or taped down has more bumps, ridges. I went up to 3.5mm and the car was a tad more stable entering most corners. I should have gone to 3.75-4mm.

What are you liking for starting tire heights?
Old 02-21-2011, 04:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hey, Bob, Paul,

What are you using to locate the battery? I see from your pictures, Bob, that you are using the Serpent shock. Paul, you using the same shock?
Old 02-21-2011, 04:12 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Crashby
Hey, Bob, Paul,

What are you using to locate the battery? I see from your pictures, Bob, that you are using the Serpent shock. Paul, you using the same shock?
I tend to always run pack forward. Unless it's a super short track with lot's of 180's, then pack back.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer
They had ride height set at 3mm minimum. I was there for a while and remembered that I had this theory about how temporary tracks and carpet that's not laid glued or taped down has more bumps, ridges. I went up to 3.5mm and the car was a tad more stable entering most corners. I should have gone to 3.75-4mm.

What are you liking for starting tire heights?
Hey, Bob, Paul,

Most of the time I run 3.4 on the hudy gauge for pan cars. Sometimes higher in the rear but thats very rare.

I use the serpent shock always and to locate the battery I use the crc battery locators and tape.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by chicky03
Most of the time I run 3.4 on the hudy gauge for pan cars. Sometimes higher in the rear but thats very rare.

I use the serpent shock always and to locate the battery I use the crc battery locators and tape.
Gentlemen!

I thank you! Are either of you going to make the carpet nats?
Old 02-21-2011, 09:01 PM
Tech Elite

Gentlemen!

I thank you! Are either of you going to make the carpet nats?
There's a race we get to go to at a car show in Minnesota. and those kinds of events out in the public eye take precedence for us.

Race somewhere hidden from view, race somewhere in front of motorheads and auto enthusiasts circling the track 5-10 people deep all weekend.

Throw the nats at a major car show!?!? Now you're doing something! Somebody figures out how to get us a 48x100 piece of rug and 10,000 feet of pit space (likely hold 300-350 drivers) at SEMA, and you'll see a show!

I think we as a group hide to much in our little perfect areas, hidden from view. Timezone is a sweet facility though, and super nice dudes there!! Will be a good event.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

There's a race we get to go to at a car show in Minnesota. and those kinds of events out in the public eye take precedence for us.

Race somewhere hidden from view, race somewhere in front of motorheads and auto enthusiasts circling the track 5-10 people deep all weekend.

Throw the nats at a major car show!?!? Now you're doing something! Somebody figures out how to get us a 48x100 piece of rug and 10,000 feet of pit space (likely hold 300-350 drivers) at SEMA, and you'll see a show!

I think we as a group hide to much in our little perfect areas, hidden from view. Timezone is a sweet facility though, and super nice dudes there!! Will be a good event.
I could not agree with you more, Bob! If we truly want this hobby/sport/industry to grow, we have to get it out there in front of as many people as we can. The SEMA show would be perfect as it's just a Monday through Thursday event. Some of the longer shows like the International car shows where the new factory cars are on display sometimes goes for two weeks. Event organizers want us racing each day that the show is open.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:37 PM
Tech Elite

I could not agree with you more, Bob! If we truly want this hobby/sport/industry to grow, we have to get it out there in front of as many people as we can. The SEMA show would be perfect as it's just a Monday through Thursday event. Some of the longer shows like the International car shows where the new factory cars are on display sometimes goes for two weeks. Event organizers want us racing each day that the show is open.
Every 3 days is a different event. First 3 are perhaps 1/12th. next 3 are all touring, next 3 are 1/18th, then perhaps little jumps with SC trucks. Few days of oval action, few days of drift action on the biggest stage with the most motorheads in one location.... ANYWHERE.

Be wild to show up on day 6 as a dude is emptying his pit, you're filling it up, like a hotel room.

Be a LOAD of logistics, but nothing out of the ordinary or insurmountable. Think of the story's you could tell if you raced everything over the course of a 2 week period... More laps than most people get in 3-4 years of running.

I think if the space were available the event would fill QUICKLY. No way there would be that kind of free space though. Would be the greatest spectacle in all of RC. After 2 weeks, at the end of the even the carpet would be wore to the backing and could then be ceremoniously burned by the guy who put on the event.

Maybe light it on fire with a jet car. and then have Travis Pastrana jump the flaming carpet Fireworks going off, Grave diggers flipping end over end, full size drift car smoke everywhere and a big heap of flaming carpet in the middle. 300 professional wrestlers "putting away" all the folding chairs and tables in an organized pile on each others heads... Meanwhile Navy seals (from 500 yards off in Helicopters) are picking off RC cars loaded with C4 that are circling the track, creating HUGE explosions every few seconds. While PETA protesters with signs complain that the noise is keeping somebodys owl from getting a good nights sleep. Ken Block doing Gymkhana through them, with signs flying and people screaming. Bong water, signs, flip flop shoes and receipts for government cheese strewn about EVERYWHERE!

<---genius...

Last edited by Bob-Stormer; 02-22-2011 at 05:00 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Every 3 days is a different event. First 3 are perhaps 1/12th. next 3 are all touring, next 3 are 1/18th, then perhaps little jumps with SC trucks. Few days of oval action, few days of drift action on the biggest stage with the most motorheads in one location.... ANYWHERE.

Be wild to show up on day 6 as a dude is emptying his pit, you're filling it up, like a hotel room.

Be a LOAD of logistics, but nothing out of the ordinary or insurmountable. Think of the story's you could tell if you raced everything over the course of a 2 week period... More laps than most people get in 3-4 years of running.

I think if the space were available the event would fill QUICKLY. No way there would be that kind of free space though. Would be the greatest spectacle in all of RC. After 2 weeks, at the end of the even the carpet would be wore to the backing and could then be ceremoniously burned by the guy who put on the event.

Maybe light it on fire with a jet car. and then have Travis Pastrana jump the flaming carpet Fireworks going off, Grave diggers flipping end over end, full size drift car smoke everywhere and a big heap of flaming carpet in the middle. 300 professional wrestlers "putting away" all the folding chairs and tables in an organized pile on each others heads... Meanwhile Navy seals (from 500 yards off in Helicopters) are picking off RC cars loaded with C4 that are circling the track, creating HUGE explosions every few seconds. While PETA protesters with signs complain that the noise is keeping somebodys owl from getting a good nights sleep. Ken Block doing Gymkhana through them, with signs flying and people screaming. Bong water, signs, flip flop shoes and receipts for government cheese strewn about EVERYWHERE!

<---genius...
OMG!!! I almost split my gut!!! You have a very active imagination... I like it!!! You put it on and they will come. We will miss you at the nats!!
Old 02-28-2011, 07:54 PM
Tech Elite

<---genius...
Sickness, Bob. No other way to explain that........
Old 03-06-2011, 04:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (93%+)

Does On-Point racing have a website and for what cars do you make parts for ?
Old 03-06-2011, 05:30 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by wallstreet
Does On-Point racing have a website and for what cars do you make parts for ?
No Website yet. Chicky makes chassis for Serpent s120 and Associated 12r5. you can get them from Stormer Hobbies.

Chicky also checks this tread so he can answer questions for you or one of us will try to help...

Steve Dunn
Indianapolis, IN
Old 03-06-2011, 11:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sdunnmcp
No Website yet. Chicky makes chassis for Serpent s120 and Associated 12r5. you can get them from Stormer Hobbies.

Chicky also checks this tread so he can answer questions for you or one of us will try to help...

Steve Dunn
Indianapolis, IN
On that note, any word on the damper conversion for the 12R5?
Old 03-07-2011, 04:07 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RoyU
On that note, any word on the damper conversion for the 12R5?
Soon, sorry it's taking so long.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.