Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fusion Batteries

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2005, 07:51 AM
Tech Master

redline charge those at 5 amps for about 10 minutes and then put them away until you are ready to use them. Then when you are ready to use them discharge them first then charge them up fully.

John
Old 09-17-2005, 07:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 127 (100%+)
Default Thanks John

Originally Posted by John Malin
redline charge those at 5 amps for about 10 minutes and then put them away until you are ready to use them. Then when you are ready to use them discharge them first then charge them up fully.

John

Thanks John

Should I discharge with the LRP @ 10 amps or use the lights @ 30 amps
I will be running stock touring car.........What's your input on dead shorting these packs for stock motor racing?

Regards,
E

Last edited by RED-LINE M03; 09-17-2005 at 09:27 AM. Reason: $^^^^%^$#%#%
Old 09-17-2005, 03:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I am trying to gauge how good my battery packs are and set up the ideal battery routine and would appreciate your feedback. My first round of 3300 Fusion Batteries haven't really been cared for properly and had a few accidents (like putting into my Novak Discharge Tray upside down) and I hadn't used my latest 3700 packs which I got about 3 weeks ago and after doing some research I find that isn't the best thing because I didn't put any charge in them when I got them . Anyway here is my routine I would appreciate any feedback on that as well as some instruction on what numbers I should be writing down and tracking:

1. Equalize on my Novak Discharge Tray down to .9v (usually takes less than 5 mins which concerns me as I read some people equalize for hours).
2. Charge on my Turbo 35 (settings below):
- Peak Chrg 6.0
- Trickle: N
- Long Lockout: N
- PK1 DETCT V .03
- TFLEX 1 N Level 3
- Delay Time1 60
- Charge2 Amp 1.5
- PK2 DETCT V .03
- TFLEX 2 Y Level 2
- Delay Time2 60
- Charge3 AMP 6.0
- PK3 DETCT V .03
- TFLEX 3 Y Level 9
3. Discharge on my Trinity Dyna Pulse

James
Old 09-18-2005, 11:28 AM
Tech Elite

Here are the numbers off of my Trinity Dyna Pulse for the two packs I fried on my Novak Not So Smart Tray.

Pack A Labels Read:
Fusion Batteries 3300
Sec 0422
AV 1.181 to 1.182

Trinity Dyna Pulse Reads:
Volts 6.96v
Resist 22.0m
Capacity 3603
Time 463.45

Pack B Labels Read:
Fusion Batteries 3300
Sec 0422
AV 1.183

Trinity Dyna Pulse Reads:
Volts 6.90v
Resist 23.4m
Capacity 3578
Time 459.65

How do these numbers compare to quality race packs? What numbers should I be striving for (volts, resist, capacity, time)? What can I do to improve these numbers?

Your help is appreciated!
Old 09-18-2005, 08:26 PM
Tech Elite

Yeah, you're right about the fact that you fried them. You should be trying to get anywhere from say 7.07 to 7.09 AV with packs of that level. Resistance (AIR as a pack, which is what the dynapulse tells you) should be from 14 to 15.5 for those. Runtime looks very good for those cells.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:42 PM
Tech Elite

Anything I can do to increase the volts? I think the Dyna Pulse will help with the resistance, it's suppose to anyway.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:48 AM
Tech Elite

How exactly did you "fry" the cells on the novak tray?
Old 09-19-2005, 10:04 AM
Tech Elite

Pretty simple to do. You see you can actually put a pack into the Novak Not So Smart Tray 1 of 2 ways with the pos & neg lining up correctly. The problem is unless you have 3 bars on the top and 2 bars on the bottom the packs will overheat in a matter of seconds.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:12 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

James is right, Novak's directions were poorly written... at least until they started inserting the updated instructions into the packaging.

If you've owned any other battery tray before, then you probably already knew how important pack orientation is. However, the Novak tray was my first tray. I followed the instructions 100% accurately, but still ended up putting half my packs in the tray backwords, ruining two of them.

And when I contacted Novak about it, they were pretty unsympathetic. I've avoided buying Novak stuff ever since.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Ummmmm... no ? I'm not just saying this because I run for Novak, it's my actual experiance. I have a smart tray and have inserted batteries in it backwards many of times, with no damage whatsoever occuring to either products. I've never seen one fry from this, maybe it's because your batteries had a large charge still in them, but most trays don't like it when you put a near or fully charged battery in it, with polarity correct or not.

Bob - most other trays on the market don't require the polarity to be a certain direction because they just use resistors to discharge the pack. That's why most people have inserted a battery into the Smart tray backwards, either that or the smart tray is to complicated for them. On the back of the Smart Tray box where is says 'Directions For Discharging' it says to match up the polarity. I agree it could be clearer but didn't ever your teachers tell you to read the directions completly ? A lot of things can fry when you hook them up backwards so I don't see a reason that Novak should replace (but I'm not saying that's what you were hoping to happen) anything. I'm very sorry that you won't buy Novak products in the future, but it is no ones fault that you hooked it up backwards but yours, there should be no reason to blame Novak.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Since this is pretty off-topic I'm not sure if we should continue... but since i'm already posting this:
  1. Just because you haven't damaged a pack when using the tray, doesn't mean it's not possible.
  2. Novak says you can discharge a full pack with the smart tray
  3. Novak actually should be held responsible for people putting their packs in their tray incorrecty. All the original instructions said to do is "make sure you put the pack in the tray so that the + is in the lower right hand side". Well, you can stick a battery pack in two different ways to satisfy this requirement. One of the two ways will destroy a pack.
  4. They made no mention of the instruction that says "there should be three battery bars on top". Therefore a user could do everything by the book and still destroy their batteries. That's why they had to release this after the product was released.
  5. When I wrote to Novak to let them know of the error, I asked them to replace one (out of two) of the packs that were damaged. They admitted that they made a mistake, but refused to offer me a replacement battery on the basis that if they replaced my pack they'd have to replace everybody's. Pretty crappy reason, if you ask me...

Thanks for the lesson, though
Old 09-19-2005, 05:39 PM
Tech Elite

mini-dub I think you drank a little too much of the Novak Kool-Aid and it's making you look like nothing more than a Novak shill, especially when you start questioning the competence of others. As Bob pointed out here is the only thing it says on the bottom of the box regarding polarity and inserting your pack:

4. Carefully 'snap' battery pack down into the clips on the Smart Tray -- Line up battery pack so the ends where you make the positive & negative connections match up with the "+" and "-" symbols marked on the Smart Tray's circuit board.

The problem is, as Bob mentioned, there are more than two ways to insert a pack so it meets these requirements. 1 of those 2 ways will fry your pack. So you what did Novak do to fix the problem? Amend the instructions to ensure customers don't fry their packs? No reprinting boxes would cost them too much money so they stuck a sticker on the inside box lid that says to make sure 3 bars are across the top. I completely missed this notice and was silly enough to completely read and follow the directions given under the heading "Smart Tray Discharging Instructions". I suppose the lesson here is to not only fully read the Novak instructions but also tear open the entire box lay it on a flat, level surface under a bright reading lamp and inspect for additional instruction amendments.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:49 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jamescam
mini-dub I think you drank a little too much of the Novak Kool-Aid and it's making you look like nothing more than a Novak shill, especially when you start questioning the competence of others. As Bob pointed out here is the only thing it says on the bottom of the box regarding polarity and inserting your pack:

4. Carefully 'snap' battery pack down into the clips on the Smart Tray -- Line up battery pack so the ends where you make the positive & negative connections match up with the "+" and "-" symbols marked on the Smart Tray's circuit board.

The problem is, as Bob mentioned, there are more than two ways to insert a pack so it meets these requirements. 1 of those 2 ways will fry your pack. So you what did Novak do to fix the problem? Amend the instructions to ensure customers don't fry their packs? No reprinting boxes would cost them too much money so they stuck a sticker on the inside box lid that says to make sure 3 bars are across the top. I completely missed this notice and was silly enough to completely read and follow the directions given under the heading "Smart Tray Discharging Instructions". I suppose the lesson here is to not only fully read the Novak instructions but also tear open the entire box lay it on a flat, level surface under a bright reading lamp and inspect for additional instruction amendments.
I get it!!! If the person does not match the POS + and the neg- correctly like it states to do then its Novaks fault that not so smart peeps burn up packs. Jeez sure glad my chargers have color coded clips on them instead of a lil + or - !!!!

COME ON!!! get a grip!!!!!!! if the user can not figure out which end goes where then he is the doof !! not novak
Old 09-19-2005, 06:01 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by howard hudson
I get it!!! If the person does not match the POS + and the neg- correctly like it states to do then its Novaks fault that not so smart peeps burn up packs. Jeez sure glad my chargers have color coded clips on them instead of a lil + or - !!!!

COME ON!!! get a grip!!!!!!! if the user can not figure out which end goes where then he is the doof !! not novak
You have no idea what you are talking about! Even when you put a battery pack in so the neg & pos line up correctly and read and follow the directions on the outside of the box you have a 50% chance of frying your pack! Please learn reading comprehension before jumping feet first into an argument!

If you feel obligated to continue spewing the ignorance let's at least move it over to the Novak Smart Tray thread.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jamescam
Even when you put a battery pack in so the neg & pos line up correctly the tray can fry a pack.
How could installing the battery correctly fry a pack?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.