Listening to Tyler? Oh boy....LOL
Old 06-30-2004, 07:57 PM
Tech Adept

Just what i was going to say Gary lol
Old 06-30-2004, 08:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Gary...

The charging circuit should be off once the caps are charged and before the caps are dumped in any case. Like you said not a big deal.

A properly set up SCR system has no voltage across the cell once the capacitors are dumped. That's an easy circuit to rig up. It's the only safe way to use it. You are right voltage on the cell while removing it would be bad.

So you are saying you actually pass more current through the cell then correct? Making the zap stronger in essence?

On your site you state...
"Other matchers utilize high voltage capacitor systems that temporarily increase voltage, and lower internal resistance, but destroy the internal chemistry of the cell!"

So how is that in your system that you pass more current through the cell, but not do the same or more damage than capacitor based systems? Does that mean that it isn't the current that hurts the cell?

As far as destroying the run time, correct me if I'm wrong, but when you decrease resistance which in turn raises the average voltage don't you at the same time lose some run time in the grand scheme due to the lower resistance and it flowing out of the cell faster with any form of zapping?

I'm not trying to 2nd guess you, but you offer a different system and like anything else I am just curious as to what the difference or advantage really is.

Thanks for the info and your time.

Michael
Old 07-01-2004, 05:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally posted by DavidAlford
Oops. My bad.

-jon
Old 07-01-2004, 05:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally posted by Tempest2000
Gary...

As far as destroying the run time, correct me if I'm wrong, but when you decrease resistance which in turn raises the average voltage don't you at the same time lose some run time in the grand scheme due to the lower resistance and it flowing out of the cell faster with any form of zapping?
Obviously, there is vested interest in what I'm going to say, but honestly the overall effect is that our runtimes are generally 435+ which in the industry is quite high.

We get a lot of cells in the 445+ range as well.

I realize that I'm not giving you a scientific answer but a practical one in essence.

Gary?

-jon

Last edited by jdwca; 07-01-2004 at 06:55 AM.
Old 07-01-2004, 06:54 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Gary...

So you are saying you actually pass more current through the cell then correct? Making the zap stronger in essence?

So how is that in your system that you pass more current through the cell, but not do the same or more damage than capacitor based systems? Does that mean that it isn't the current that hurts the cell?

Michael
Hi Mike,
By pointing out an effective 'zap' is ten times more powerful in a FET based system vs. and SCR based system I was trying to imply that the FET based system is simply superior in terms of voltage drop. Since the FET based system does not experience the voltage drop that a SCR based system does, the effective application of power needs to be much less than that of an SCR system.

To address your question of why we think its better - Our unit dumps full power for about one tenth of a second, that's probably 20 to 30 times longer than most current SCR based systems, however the 'pulse' (aka 'zap'), modulation and effective power are changed in special sequence and controlled by a micro coprocessor.

Longer pulses seem to be more beneficial than short ones, particularly in the long term. This is because in order to increase the charge in the cell, a chemical change has to take place. If the pulse is very short there is a danger that only a small portion of the chemicals around the cell connections or worse, a narrow path between them is 'boosted', leaving the rest of the cell untouched. The slow pulse would allow longer for the chemical rearrangement to take place and give a better distribution of charged electrolyte.

Why does it not damage the cell like an SCR baed system? Simply because we use much less power. I've heard through the reliable sources that some of the top battery matchers are using as much as 70,000uf at 100v. That is a huge amount of power, so much so, that a moderate portion of the electrolytes are actually destroyed in the zapping process. Again, since HIPM applies much less power through a different application, we typically experience similar results to that of a SCR based system, while not experiencing the level of damage that typically occurs.

I hope this answers some of your questions. Unfortunately, I cannot provide every detail of our system and at this point I think I've volunteered enough information. I hope you can see the practical application of our device. HIPM v2 is under development, we are experimenting with power and sequence changes to further optimize our device.

Last edited by ghuber; 07-01-2004 at 07:05 AM.
Old 07-01-2004, 07:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Thanks Gary,

It's nice to see someone that just doesn't say "b/c I said so" LOL

I wasn't wanting to know your technique. Just why it works better.

I think you did a great job explaining it. It looks as if you guys will be around for quite some time.

Thanks again,

Michael
Old 07-01-2004, 05:22 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks Gary,

It's nice to see someone that just doesn't say "b/c I said so" LOL

I wasn't wanting to know your technique. Just why it works better.

I think you did a great job explaining it. It looks as if you guys will be around for quite some time.

Thanks again,

Michael
Well thank you, sir. We're definitely try to do something a little less 'conventional' with a goal of becoming the top R/C battery matcher. Our cells numbers display a result of actual science, not science fiction! Too many matchers are simply doing the same thing, there no real 'advantage' to using one over the other. We hope to change that!

Overall Surge is doing well right now. We're growing by leaps and bounds, but we sure are working hard! I for one could use a break, thank god for the upcoming 4th of July weekend!

Regards,

Last edited by ghuber; 07-01-2004 at 07:43 PM.
Old 07-01-2004, 08:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally posted by DavidAlford
Don't be a hater Dave!
Old 07-02-2004, 09:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

This coming from the guy scared of mod sedan. LOL j/k
Old 07-02-2004, 10:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

What, sacred of mod, i think he nees some emotinal support....TEAM HUG!!!
Old 07-03-2004, 07:28 AM
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

This is for the 4th july celeb;;(usa)

BBQ Definition
It's the only type of cooking a real man will do. When a man volunteers to
do the BBQ the following chain of events are put into motion:
The woman goes to the shops
The woman makes the salad, vegetables and dessert
The woman prepares the meat for cooking, places it on a tray along
with the necessary cooking utensils and sauces and takes it to the man, who
is lounging beside the grill, beer in hand.
The man places the meat on the grill. The woman goes inside to organise the plates and cutlery.
The woman comes out to tell the man that the meat is burning. He thanks her and asks if she will bring another beer whilst he deals with the situation.
The man takes the meat off the grill and hands it to the woman.
The woman prepares the plates and brings them to the table After eating, the woman clears the table and does the dishes. Everyone praises the man and thanks him for the cooking efforts.
The man asks the woman how she enjoyed "her night off". And seeing her
annoyed reaction, concludes that there's just no pleasing some women!
Old 07-04-2004, 05:27 PM
Tech Elite

happy fourth of july team members and Surge supporters
Old 07-05-2004, 05:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

The Holiday is over now its time to think going racing again
Old 07-06-2004, 05:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Hey guys just wanted to say I just struck a deal with Tim over at MRC/ACADEMY to run there 4 wheel drive offroad car. There in the stages of trying to get 4wheel drive back and going again in my area. Man what better way to do it than with Surge power. Maybe with a little time and testing MRC might come out the background as a starter car and be known as a real threat for that top spot in the a mains. Ill keep you updated on the progress of MRCs newest cars.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.