R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road > Team and Company Discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-30-2011, 06:21 AM   #61
Tech Fanatic
 
macdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 915
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullout View Post
Hi,

It has come to my attention that the Orca mk2 aren't roar legal. Any idea as to when they will be approved. As i just picked one up and am planning on running races that are to ROAR specs.
From the Mylasian thread it seems that ORCA may have just submitted the esc late and missed approval. They believe that the zero timing mode to be identical to the pro spec version.

Either way it kind of sucks to not be on the list. I have both the older pro spec and the new MKII versions so I will just run the older one for now at sanctioned races. So far the only difference I can tell is the timing and turbo are a lot more efficient in the MKII and the motor does not get nearly as hot as the pro spec with the same settings.
__________________
---------------
KO Eurus / Orca / MMP / XB2 / 22-4 /
macdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:24 PM   #62
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Vancouver BC CANADA
Posts: 85
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdude View Post
From the Mylasian thread it seems that ORCA may have just submitted the esc late and missed approval. They believe that the zero timing mode to be identical to the pro spec version.

Either way it kind of sucks to not be on the list. I have both the older pro spec and the new MKII versions so I will just run the older one for now at sanctioned races. So far the only difference I can tell is the timing and turbo are a lot more efficient in the MKII and the motor does not get nearly as hot as the pro spec with the same settings.
Hi macdude,

I replied to your post at the Malaysian thread.

Regarding the Pro Spec speedo, it is also not allowed to run at any ROAR sanctioned race due to its similarity to the MkII speedo. As a result, please check with the race organizer before you run your speedo at other events. However, we are working with ROAR to sort out the issues and have our speedos listed back ASAP. I will keep everyone updated on the situation at this thread and thank you for your patience.

Hans
TeamORCA USA
TeamORCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:46 PM   #63
Tech Fanatic
 
macdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 915
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamORCA View Post
Hi macdude,

I replied to your post at the Malaysian thread.

Regarding the Pro Spec speedo, it is also not allowed to run at any ROAR sanctioned race due to its similarity to the MkII speedo. As a result, please check with the race organizer before you run your speedo at other events. However, we are working with ROAR to sort out the issues and have our speedos listed back ASAP. I will keep everyone updated on the situation at this thread and thank you for your patience.

Hans
TeamORCA USA
Thanks for the update. That's not good about the pro spec. The whole reason I prefer to run this ESC over others is because it is so smooth. I have done a bunch of back to back runs with other speed controls and the orca is always easier to drive and therefore about .2 sec faster.
__________________
---------------
KO Eurus / Orca / MMP / XB2 / 22-4 /
macdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:38 PM   #64
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Vancouver BC CANADA
Posts: 85
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdude View Post
Thanks for the update. That's not good about the pro spec. The whole reason I prefer to run this ESC over others is because it is so smooth. I have done a bunch of back to back runs with other speed controls and the orca is always easier to drive and therefore about .2 sec faster.
Yes you are right. It is not good news for the Pro Spec model. However, we are trying our best to clarify the situation now with ROAR and have both speedos listed as soon as possible.

Thank you for your support of ORCA products.

Hans
TeamORCA USA
TeamORCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:15 PM   #65
Tech Master
 
dougmartin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,952
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Hans you have a PM. Thanks
dougmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:27 AM   #66
Tech Champion
 
cannon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: A total distraction
Posts: 7,266
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

FROM ROAR

As a result of actions that were in direct violation of instructions from a ROAR Executive Committee member, ORCA brand speed controls are not permitted in ROAR sanctioned competition for the next six months. The violation stems from a discussion about the true amount of timing in the second generation of ESC from the brand, in which it was not in compliance with the zero timing specification as indicated in the rules. Given that it was only days before the event, it was instructed that the new ESC and the software could not be used. Upon further inspection, it was determined that the new software was loaded on to the previous generation ESC, in direct violation of the timing rule itself, and the instructions of the Technical Director. The six month suspension will take effect 5/1/11, and assuming a satisfactory agreement can be made before the 11/1/11 expiration, the ORCA ESCs can be considered for use in ROAR competition again.




It would seem that someone was trying to cheat
__________________
www.feralbatteries.com ........... new website
cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:12 AM   #67
Tech Fanatic
 
macdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 915
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon View Post
FROM ROAR

As a result of actions that were in direct violation of instructions from a ROAR Executive Committee member, ORCA brand speed controls are not permitted in ROAR sanctioned competition for the next six months. The violation stems from a discussion about the true amount of timing in the second generation of ESC from the brand, in which it was not in compliance with the zero timing specification as indicated in the rules. Given that it was only days before the event, it was instructed that the new ESC and the software could not be used. Upon further inspection, it was determined that the new software was loaded on to the previous generation ESC, in direct violation of the timing rule itself, and the instructions of the Technical Director. The six month suspension will take effect 5/1/11, and assuming a satisfactory agreement can be made before the 11/1/11 expiration, the ORCA ESCs can be considered for use in ROAR competition again.


It would seem that someone was trying to cheat
Actually it seems like it is more of a discussion of what is zero timing. Almost the same thing that happened to tekin last summer. As I have about 6 different brands of ESC, I don't see a speed difference when running them back to back vs running a Tekin or MMP or Kinetic or KO BMC. In fact the orca, ko, and kinetics are just easier to drive because the of the drive frequency adjustments. The Orca offers the highest drive frequency of all of them so it is the smoothest feeling controller. But as for top speed. I was getting pulled down the straight running against guys with tekins. So I doubt very much that the tops speed is different.
Also I would really like to know what they mean by zero timing. It is a matter of fact that zero timing can never occur or the motor would not spin. So I really would like to know what is ROAR's requirement for spec mode timing wise. I can find it posted nowhere on ROARs site.
__________________
---------------
KO Eurus / Orca / MMP / XB2 / 22-4 /
macdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 03:20 PM   #68
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Vancouver BC CANADA
Posts: 85
Default

By now, most of you would have read the announcement from ROAR that ORCA ESCs will be banned from ROAR events for the next 6 months until Nov 1, 2011. We hereby offer our side of the story:

1. All ORCA zero degree timing software available is true zero degree timing. We have done extensive comparison test under oscilloscope with other main brands and found them to be the same. We have the printed graphs if anyone is interested in reviewing them.

2. When we submitted the new software for ROAR registration as zero degree timing compatible ESC, we received a draft 2011 ROAR zero degree timing spec proposal as reference. Immediately, we realize that the graph on the proposed rule represents 60 degree timing. As a result, we cannot say that our ESC follows the rule as proposed. This is what ROAR refers to in their notice as "not in compliance". ROAR did not test the ESC.

3. We tried our best in good will to resolve the issue so that the ESC could be used at the Carpet ROAR Nationals. ROAR did tell us not to use it. However, we were hoping that we could resolve the issue ROAR in the last few days before the event. Obviously, the issue was not resolved and the infraction was committed. Please note that the infraction was not regarding the ESC, but was disobeying instructions from ROAR technical director.

4. We are trying our best to keep on working with ROAR to resolve this zero degree timing issue and hopefully have the MKII ESC registered ASAP. Once that is completed, racers can use it to race all zero degree spec race except ROAR sanctioned events until later this year.

We hope that the above explain clear enough what happened and we sincerely apologize for the confusion and inconvenience that the "band" has created.

We have no intention to put any blame on ROAR and ask our supporters not to. ROAR did what they had to do and we are working on moving forward.

Please don't hesitate to PM me should anyone need more information regarding this topic.

Hans
TeamORCA USA
hans.tang@teamorcausa.com

Last edited by TeamORCA; 05-05-2011 at 12:10 AM.
TeamORCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:45 PM   #69
Tech Elite
 
maniac mechanic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 2,334
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Talking

Hopefully this is the right place to post this. If not, sorry.

Has anybody tried to run an Orca ESC in a short course truck (SC10)?

I run one in my TC and am seriously considering throwing it in my truck for the summer.
__________________
R/C Racing..........Making Geeks think they're cool since 1973!!!
Tamiya CR-01, Serpent 811 Cobra Buggy
Open Electric is "The Easy Button" of 1/8 scale racing. Nitro Forever!
maniac mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:26 AM   #70
Tech Fanatic
 
macdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 915
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac mechanic View Post
Hopefully this is the right place to post this. If not, sorry.

Has anybody tried to run an Orca ESC in a short course truck (SC10)?

I run one in my TC and am seriously considering throwing it in my truck for the summer.
Yeah, I got the MKII in my SC10. So far it works very well. You will need to play with the boost settings but other than that its been great.
__________________
---------------
KO Eurus / Orca / MMP / XB2 / 22-4 /
macdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:00 PM   #71
Tech Addict
 
big_gord24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 562
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to big_gord24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac mechanic View Post
Hopefully this is the right place to post this. If not, sorry.

Has anybody tried to run an Orca ESC in a short course truck (SC10)?

I run one in my TC and am seriously considering throwing it in my truck for the summer.
Hi MM

I have and am running the MK2 in my SC10. I used the Mod preset and turned the turbo off. The smoothness of the throttle is excelent for controling wheel spin. Im using an 8.5 RX2 motor with the motor timing at zero. I've started with 36 deg in the speedo with the boost curently off. (low traction) I've also turned the puch down to 5 to try and control wheel spin. If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask, if I don't know the answer I've got some team drivers that have more off road testing knowledge available for answers.

Ry
__________________
New Username.... Tiny.24
Please don't PM this account....
big_gord24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:33 PM   #72
Tech Master
 
dougmartin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,952
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_gord24 View Post
Hi MM

I have and am running the MK2 in my SC10. I used the Mod preset and turned the turbo off. The smoothness of the throttle is excelent for controling wheel spin. Im using an 8.5 RX2 motor with the motor timing at zero. I've started with 36 deg in the speedo with the boost curently off. (low traction) I've also turned the puch down to 5 to try and control wheel spin. If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask, if I don't know the answer I've got some team drivers that have more off road testing knowledge available for answers.

Ry
Hi Ryan

Keith is sending me a new ESC tomorrow. What FDR are you running in your SC10. I have the Losi/CRC conversion that I'll be putting the MK2 in. Thanks
dougmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 03:02 AM   #73
Tech Addict
 
big_gord24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 562
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to big_gord24
Default

I started around 10-1 and adjusted from there... never hit top speed on the straight. 87/17 with an 8.5.
__________________
New Username.... Tiny.24
Please don't PM this account....
big_gord24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:05 PM   #74
Tech Elite
 
maniac mechanic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 2,334
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_gord24 View Post
I started around 10-1 and adjusted from there... never hit top speed on the straight. 87/17 with an 8.5.
Where did your motor and ESC temps end up at?
__________________
R/C Racing..........Making Geeks think they're cool since 1973!!!
Tamiya CR-01, Serpent 811 Cobra Buggy
Open Electric is "The Easy Button" of 1/8 scale racing. Nitro Forever!
maniac mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:53 PM   #75
Tech Addict
 
big_gord24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 562
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to big_gord24
Default

140-160 depending on traction levels.
__________________
New Username.... Tiny.24
Please don't PM this account....
big_gord24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Radio Operated Cars of Kelowna (R.O.C.K Racing) Dan Boundy Canadian R/C Scene 5438 09-29-2014 10:04 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 12:56 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0