Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ask SCOOTERS MOTORWORKS

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 08:06 AM
Tech Apprentice

Aj i get calls all the time from people asking me what ever happened to all the guys from the gm days glad your still around and might be getting back into it. i talk to Todd every once in awhile he seems to be doing pretty good for him self.

scooter
Old 03-27-2009, 12:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I tried to e-mail ya'll several times but everything comes back. Is there a new address to e-mail?
Old 03-27-2009, 02:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

no just [email protected] I HAVE BEEN GETTING E-MAILS ALL DAY GIVE YOUR YOUR E-MAIL IN A PM AND I'LL CONTACT YOU

SCOOTER
Old 03-28-2009, 06:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)

hey all

all the motors are done ready for shipment

duos 17.5s and 13.5 and 10.5s i have checked the inductence and

rotor magnets and did my fine tunning

also we are placing lipo order with the 1cell lipos aswell check the web site for updates

Last edited by BILL.D; 03-28-2009 at 06:30 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Can't wait for mine to come in....ordered a 17.5 2...13.5 and a 10.5
Old 04-09-2009, 10:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ok just a FYI...you guys need to get on these motors! I got mine in and only had time to run the 17.5 in wgt. This motor was ballistic to say the least. Last time I ran I did a 30 6.02 main...this time same timing in the speedo and same timing in the motor and exact gearing and went 31 6.00 people! That is a hair away from 2 laps faster then last time. Now keep in mind I haven't run the car for a month either. The power is there so get to ordering!!! I am going to try and make it back out tomorrow and try the 13.5 and the 10.5 I got as well. If its anything like the 17.5 it is going to be insane!!! Thanks to Scooter and Bill I now have the power I have been missing for a while!
Old 04-11-2009, 07:10 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Gitsum
Ok just a FYI...you guys need to get on these motors! I got mine in and only had time to run the 17.5 in wgt. This motor was ballistic to say the least. Last time I ran I did a 30 6.02 main...this time same timing in the speedo and same timing in the motor and exact gearing and went 31 6.00 people! That is a hair away from 2 laps faster then last time. Now keep in mind I haven't run the car for a month either. The power is there so get to ordering!!! I am going to try and make it back out tomorrow and try the 13.5 and the 10.5 I got as well. If its anything like the 17.5 it is going to be insane!!! Thanks to Scooter and Bill I now have the power I have been missing for a while!
putting time in these motors look like they are paying off

im still working on more motors and im making them 3 times better out of the
box

if you guys taking the motors apart to clean them,make sure you keep them shimed the way i have them
Old 04-22-2009, 06:52 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Colorado, USA, The land of the free and the home of the brave!
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Are you guys affiliated with diggity designs?

Just curious.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

no I am not. i sold one or two of his parts on my web site at one timw but have taken them off. i have not been able to reach Damon for awhile now. i hope that answers your question
scooter
Old 04-23-2009, 07:00 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Colorado, USA, The land of the free and the home of the brave!
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scooter SMW
no I am not. i sold one or two of his parts on my web site at one timw but have taken them off. i have not been able to reach Damon for awhile now. i hope that answers your question
scooter
Cool, its not an issue. I was wondering because when you drag your cursor over a tab, it shows "diggity designs products/contents/etc"

Just a heads up on the site.
Attached Thumbnails ask SCOOTERS MOTORWORKS-scooters-motorworks.jpg  
Old 04-25-2009, 11:33 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (90%+)

Hello all,

My name's Martin, I'm a racer from here in Northern California/SF Bay Area. Just wanted to say that I'm excited to run the new Scooter motors here in the area. I've been e-mailing back and forth with Scooter for the past couple weeks, and the other day finally had a chance to test the motors out on my home track. Here's what I found:

I ran Scooter's 13.5 motor in my Tamiya 416. I started at an FDR of 4.7. I ran for six minutes, temped at 130deg (with a fan). I geared higher to a 4.9, found some punch on the infield but it took away alot of my top end. Temp was at 118! Super cold, so I figured that I was probably going the wrong way. The third run I started at 4.52... it felt like the punch AND the top end both increased.. could that be right? Temp was @ 130 again. For the last run I went even lower to a 4.37 FDR and the thing was an absolute rocket ship! Tons of PUNCH + Tons of top end! 6 minutes and the temp was at about 135-140. All runs utilized an LRP SPX Speedo, SMC 5200 40c battery and an LRP heatsink/fan combo. My home track's (NorCal Hobbies) straight is about 135ft in length.

I will redo the same ratios minus the fan... i think the fan allows me to run lower ratios without the motor heating up so much. The benchmark/control data shouldn't incorporate adjusted temps with fans... something I realized after. What can I say? I didn't want to blow the thing up, lol.

I will be running these motors at this year's Reedy Race of Champions, hence all the data and testing I'm trying to accomplish. If anyone has experience with running this motor for a TC application, I'd love to hear what you found out with this thing. Shoot me a PM or post here and we can compare notes

-M

Last edited by StickyFingaz; 04-25-2009 at 04:30 PM.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:03 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by StickyFingaz
Hello all,

My name's Martin, I'm a racer from here in Northern California/SF Bay Area. Just wanted to say that I'm excited to run the new Scooter motors here in the area. I've been e-mailing back and forth with Scooter for the past couple weeks, and the other day finally had a chance to test the motors out on my home track. Here's what I found:

I ran Scooter's 13.5 motor in my Tamiya 416. I started at an FDR of 4.7. I ran for six minutes, temped at 130deg (with a fan). I geared higher to a 4.9, found some punch on the infield but it took away alot of my top end. Temp was at 118! Super cold, so I figured that I was probably going the wrong way. The third run I started at 4.52... it felt like the punch AND the top end both increased.. could that be right? Temp was @ 130 again. For the last run I went even lower to a 4.37 FDR and the thing was an absolute rocket ship! Tons of PUNCH + Tons of top end! 6 minutes and the temp was at about 135-140. All runs utilized an LRP SPX Speedo, SMC 5200 40c battery and an LRP heatsink/fan combo. My home track's (NorCal Hobbies) straight is about 135ft in length.

I will redo the same ratios minus the fan... i think the fan allows me to run lower ratios without the motor heating up so much. The benchmark/control data shouldn't incorporate adjusted temps with fans... something I realized after. What can I say? I didn't want to blow the thing up, lol.

I will be running these motors at this year's Reedy Race of Champions, hence all the data and testing I'm trying to accomplish. If anyone has experience with running this motor for a TC application, I'd love to hear what you found out with this thing. Shoot me a PM or post here and we can compare notes

-M

glad you like the motor

due to the tunning i do to them with a fan or not you will see they will
run alot cooler . 4.37 to 4.40 is about right on that size track temp sould
stay around 140 to 150 but running a heat sink and fan is always good

but i have ran these motors i have tuned in oval and they have lots of rip and punch comming out of the coners its realy most of the guys run novaks becuse then have a slight more higher rpms then the duos

but last time i ran it on a small track i could of tq if i used this motor in 3 round but used in the main
guys if you have any ?s please e-mail me i will try to help as much as i can

bill
Old 05-11-2009, 01:47 PM
Tech Elite

also guys i have spent alot of time customizing tools to REDUE brushless
motors
and dyno them.

just some info

team1 zaper with a slug cut out to fit the rotors
i can check the magnets with 2 diff, metters
and shim them were the magnet field is the stongest in the cam

so with the way things are and racers cant aford to buy new. contact me
or scooter for a small fee i can make the motor just as good as it was new.....

this are the motors i have done in the past just to let you know

trinity
novak
lrp
hacker
speedpasion
Old 05-12-2009, 03:25 AM
Tech Champion

Without wanting to upset anyone here, I always thought a good brushless motor doesnt need to be cooled?

I can use a Redline 13.5 sensored with an RS Pro, with no cooling at all (fan or heat sink). The ESC lights up 1 LED and the motor is finger touch warm at the end of a 5 minute main.

I am 1/10th away from taking fastest lap of the night with a trf415msxx, on a high bite 10x15m track, on 40 shore foams front and rear, with very slight understeer on power. off power the car is ever so slightly over steering.

Like I say, I must stress I am not trying to pull on anyones chain here, I am just looking at any comparison, If you need to use a fan and heatsink and it works just fine, then that's good.

I wish you well on your future findings

Last edited by tc3team; 05-12-2009 at 03:26 AM. Reason: one extra word
Old 05-12-2009, 04:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc3team
Without wanting to upset anyone here, I always thought a good brushless motor doesnt need to be cooled?

I can use a Redline 13.5 sensored with an RS Pro, with no cooling at all (fan or heat sink). The ESC lights up 1 LED and the motor is finger touch warm at the end of a 5 minute main.

I am 1/10th away from taking fastest lap of the night with a trf415msxx, on a high bite 10x15m track, on 40 shore foams front and rear, with very slight understeer on power. off power the car is ever so slightly over steering.

Like I say, I must stress I am not trying to pull on anyones chain here, I am just looking at any comparison, If you need to use a fan and heatsink and it works just fine, then that's good.

I wish you well on your future findings
Plenty of people here in the states run fans on their brushless motors. In fact at this year's ROAR Carpet Nats a couple months ago, Reedy's Kevin Hebert was DQ'ed one round because he had two fans in his car. ROAR rules specify only one is allowed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.