Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fukuyama Batteries

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 09:15 AM
Tech Initiate

Default genral batt. info

hey all, new to R/C and luckly me, found rctech.net one day while browsing!! hehe anyway,....after doing some research on batteries, im definetly gonna be getting a few of these packs, but in the mean time, i have a couple of genral ?'s maybe you guys could help me with...
before i found these great batteries, i had bought a "brick" of plain GP3300's (24 cells)..assembled them, and have been using them.
after reading the info you all have posted here, i am looking at my charger and it only charges at 4amps...
should i buy a new charger before i get my new fukuyama batteries?
i've been looking at the integy 16X7 and the quasar mell. pro.
any thoughts or suggestions are MORE than welcome, i suck at this stuff!! lol
thanks,
manny
Old 01-09-2004, 10:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You will definately get better perfomance of the cells when you buy a better charger. 4 amps is pretty low for changing of today technology of cells. I think you'll be fine with the chargers that you list, just make sure you follow what Fukuyama states on their site which I put below and you'll have great performing cells with awesome voltage, great punch and runtime to boot!

During your initial charge for race day, we recommend you equalize the cells on a tray so all cells are at .90 volts before charging begins. We use our Competition Electronics Turbo 35 GFX to charge but other chargers will work Please make sure your charger is capable of charging Nimh cell and is set to run linear charge interface. Turbo flex or FLEX CHARGING is to be turned off or disabled during the charge on Nimh. If you charger has trickle charge for NiCad, it will also need to be turned off or disabled. We have been using a linear 6 amp charge rate with very good results. But a 5 amp charge will give you a slightly more runtime. For maximum performance, we suggest you to peak just before your race. If it has been sitting for more than 30 minutes, repeak with the same setup as the initial charge. If it's been sitting for 5 minutes or less you can repeak it with a .01( 10 mv ) peak detect.

Peak detect cut-off ( voltage threshold ):
We suggest a .05 ( 50 mv ) for 6 cell packs.
We suggest a .03 ( 30 mv ) for 4 cell packs.

You cells should be warm to slightly hot but not burning hot. To determine this, the temperature should be between 135f to 155F. If the temperature reaches above 155F, it is suggested that you shut off your charger or turn down your peak detection. Charged packs should be right before you race while the pack is still warm. Warning!: Over-charging your cells will damage them or shorten it’s lifespan. Always charge your cells away from flammables and leave open spaces at to vent around the pack during charge.

Good luck,
John
Old 01-09-2004, 10:34 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by canbquik
close up of the billboard, any suggestions????
NIce car! email me your mailing address and I'll get some decals out to you right away.

Dan
Old 01-09-2004, 10:41 AM
Tech Initiate

Default thanks john!

thanks alot john, i appreciate it!!
Old 01-09-2004, 10:53 AM
Tech Initiate

I'm a newbie in this hobby. BTW I'm from Malaysia.Just to get some tips from all the PROs in this forum.I'm having lots of problems to maintain the NiMH batteries for my electric car.The lifespan is so short which i had to replace them quite often.I been charging them at 5amps and discharge at bout 3amps.I kept them fully charged whenever i stored them.Is there any way which i can keep them for a longer lifespan?How am i gonna squeeze the normal battery pack to reach optimum power??PLEASE HELP ME!!!

All helps are appreciated!!
Old 01-09-2004, 11:06 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Herminator
HHello guys, just a quick post for those UK drivers that are interested in the great Fukuyama cells. We now have a batch of 1.16's for sale You can PM me for details and there's a link in my sig

I'd also like to thank Dan for being so helpful in gettings things off the ground
Herm, thanks for launching the marketing there and relaying the Fukuyama performance there in UK. It can only get better when the racers start winning.

Dan
Old 01-09-2004, 11:14 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Best way to wake up dead cells

Hi, I have a pack of matched 3300 NI-MH cells which seems like it's dead/sleeping. Is there a good way to "wake-it-up" or bring those cells back to life? I don't think my pack is totally dead, it looks like I didn't keep it well only. For those kind of matched cells, what's the best way to keep it after the race day and what kind of preparation before the race? For waking up the cells, is it the higher the DISCHARGE rate the better it makes? Is 20A enough? Thanks!
Old 01-09-2004, 11:16 AM
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: hawker

Originally posted by hawker
When I say I ran them twice, I charged them, raced em and discharged them again, I wasn't using them much over the holidays so I put in 400mah to keep em in good condition. Then I discharged them and charged em again this morning so I don't think I over charged them.

I'm cycling the pack again now, i'll try it tonight and see how I go.
sorry to hear that hawker, I'm sure there's ways to fix that and I think you didn't following the charging and discharging directions. LOL.. but no need to worry.

Suggestion #1 :

Try this and let me know what happens.

1. Discharge the whole pack down to .90 per cell.
2. tray or equalize it (very important that you do)
3. Let it rest a couple of days and equalize again before charging.

Suggestion #2:

1. Check battery bars,
2. Check temp of each cell during charge and let me know each number
3. Check to make sure that not one of the cells might be overcharged.

Conclusion:

One thing you are not suppose to do is leave any additional charge into the pack. This will eat up the runtime and ruin the match. This means that one or more of the cells might be partially- full while you tried to charge the other ones making the partially full ones overcharged while other cells aren't peaking. Best describe that you have 6 glasses of water and 1 or 2 of the glasses are partially full. when you try to fill all the glasses with water from one end to the other, the full ones will over-flow. This may have caused the cell to overcharge/overheat.

Nevertheless, if you can find out which cell is having problems, I can send you a replacement or you can send the whole pack back and I'll be happy to fix the problem for you. Good luck and please do let me know.

Dan
Old 01-09-2004, 11:18 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Nexus
Back from the controlled practice sessions at the Novak Race...

There were plenty of Fukuyama Racing packs in the pit area...I snapped a few pics of racers running them which I will post sometime tomorrow.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Daniel -

Chris Tosolini had the fastest car of the day. He was the only racer able to throw down 11secs flat in the modified class. I have a few pics of him also which will be posted.
Anthony,

Please keep us updated. Thanks!

Dan
Old 01-09-2004, 11:20 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Hi-LowBrow
Hi Dan!
I've been asking that when will you guys get 1.17+ available ??
Hiro san!, we currently don't have any 1.17s at the moment. You can also call me at: 626-442-6683 or email me at: [email protected] .

Thanks

Dan
Old 01-09-2004, 11:27 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Zirex
I'm a newbie in this hobby. BTW I'm from Malaysia.Just to get some tips from all the PROs in this forum.I'm having lots of problems to maintain the NiMH batteries for my electric car.The lifespan is so short which i had to replace them quite often.I been charging them at 5amps and discharge at bout 3amps.I kept them fully charged whenever i stored them.Is there any way which i can keep them for a longer lifespan?How am i gonna squeeze the normal battery pack to reach optimum power??PLEASE HELP ME!!!

All helps are appreciated!!
Easy fix is "do not" fully charge them when storing. Fully charing them for storing will ruin your match packs.

Good luck

Dan
Old 01-09-2004, 12:41 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

hey dan..

any chances of getting 1.17+ in time for the feb. 1 TCS in newark? let me know cus i want to go up there to race. thanks!

btw.. good to see you got rid of that flu bug and your up and about again.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:38 PM
Tech Initiate

Dan, YGM ( PM )!!!!!!
Old 01-09-2004, 02:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

well, I don't relly understand what happened with the charging process but my Fuku Cells performed as advertised!!!

I crashed out in the first race, split my front diff outdrive in two . But I then proceeded to qualify 1st in the next race and 2nd in the 3rd qualifier. That put me in 4th spot in the A Main Final. I took the lead on the first corner and never looked back, had consistency of 0.46 and never lost ANY power, crossing the line to finish a solid first.

Once again, THANK YOU FUKUYAMA RACING!

I'll keep monitoring the batteries and see how they go, but they seem to be performing perfectly.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:00 PM
Tech Master

used my fukuyamas for the first time and WOW!!! they are simply amazing, the race after when i used my normal Yokomo 3300 Zap 2s i thought there was somethin wrong with my car!! it was that much slower out of corners!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.