R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road > Team and Company Discussions

Old 04-11-2009, 11:27 AM   #331
Tech Elite

Where can i find info on Orion Vortex BL motor? Like Kv or watt rating? I m particularly interested in mod like 4.0t or lower.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:30 PM   #332
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DirtyDog3375
Default Timing and version question

Hi Joe,

I was hoping to get this clarified. I have a couple of 4.0t along with the optional rotors (type 1, 3, 4). From the posts to date, the version I have is V2 or V1.5 (depending on what classification system is used)

V1/V2/V3
or
V1/V1.5/V2

Timing:
Is the centre mark (long dash) = zero degrees timing and is each mark approx. 4degrees?

My motor from factory was set as shown.

Is this correct? as that would indicate it is set at approx 10degrees of timing (positive/advanced)

Thanks,

Leonard.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:53 AM   #333
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Wher's all the factory help? It's pretty hard trying to promote product by myself out here in Norcal. No one out here runs Orion anymore because too many questions are going un answered. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:50 PM   #334
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I didn't reply because I don't know what value the lines have. In my days of running TC I always had the timing turned clockwise 2 lines from stock. that was with a 4.5 though. Hope it helps. PS. I'm no factory driver, but I race with some.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:38 PM   #335
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to xtrememadness

each line is 3.6 degrees but i still dont know if the center line is zero
Old 04-14-2009, 05:39 PM   #336
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog3375 View Post
Hi Joe,

I was hoping to get this clarified. I have a couple of 4.0t along with the optional rotors (type 1, 3, 4). From the posts to date, the version I have is V2 or V1.5 (depending on what classification system is used)

V1/V2/V3
or
V1/V1.5/V2

Timing:
Is the centre mark (long dash) = zero degrees timing and is each mark approx. 4degrees?

My motor from factory was set as shown.

Is this correct? as that would indicate it is set at approx 10degrees of timing (positive/advanced)

Thanks,

Leonard.
also that is v1.5. v2 has the mark on bottom of can.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:14 PM   #337
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

The centerline on the brushless motors is not zero. I am not sure of a single R/C motor that has the motor at 0 degrees of timing. If they did, they would be slugs.
IIGQ4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:33 PM   #338
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIGQ4U View Post
The centerline on the brushless motors is not zero. I am not sure of a single R/C motor that has the motor at 0 degrees of timing. If they did, they would be slugs.

How would you physically measure the timing then (actual zero)? Or is the factory set timing advance determined by the sensor itself.

I would love to know how much advance i'm actually running with full boost on my Tekin

www.brccc.org
myan racing (coming soon)
myan_gsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:42 PM   #339
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

You basically need to measure your motor's no load current. Neutral timing is when your no load current value is lowest.
IIGQ4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:56 PM   #340
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dameetz View Post
Where can i find info on Orion Vortex BL motor? Like Kv or watt rating? I m particularly interested in mod like 4.0t or lower.
Anybody? I m still looking for this info....
Old 04-15-2009, 05:28 PM   #341
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIGQ4U View Post
You basically need to measure your motor's no load current. Neutral timing is when your no load current value is lowest.
ok guys i had some down time at work today. so i called team orion usa. i spoke with one of there technical advisers and was told that the center line on the vortex is indeed 0 degrees timing he also said that you can make sure of this by checking that the letter b on the endbell lines up with the center tab. that is zero. i checked all my motors and when the letter b is lined up with the center tab the timing mark is dead center. this is also pretty much for any brushless motor mystery solved hope this helps.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:03 PM   #342
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrememadness View Post
ok guys i had some down time at work today. so i called team orion usa. i spoke with one of there technical advisers and was told that the center line on the vortex is indeed 0 degrees timing he also said that you can make sure of this by checking that the letter b on the endbell lines up with the center tab. that is zero. i checked all my motors and when the letter b is lined up with the center tab the timing mark is dead center. this is also pretty much for any brushless motor mystery solved hope this helps.
I'll do you one better and this goes for any motor. Turn the timing full counter clock wise mark the spot...turn full clock wise and mark the spot. Measure these two points and then divide in half and there's your middle point. This should work for any motor.
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 06:48 AM   #343
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrememadness View Post
Great detective work there! muchly appreciated.

Now i feel like its not guess work anymore!

www.brccc.org
myan racing (coming soon)
myan_gsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 06:52 AM   #344
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by myan_gsr View Post
Great detective work there! muchly appreciated.

Now i feel like its not guess work anymore!
hey myan. i run the tekin rs at max boost for my 13.5 and 17.5 with the timing at center. i feel it runs the best with this combo
Old 04-20-2009, 04:47 AM   #345
Tech Adept

last weekend i lost one of my two orion vortex08 4.0t motors to an overheating issue. strange thing was i was running both motors at the same ratio + timing(in this case same timing means i lined up the timing mark on the back plate with the centre mark on the can) in the same car. one seemed more then happy but the other gave up last weekend. when checking up i found one difference between the two motors was the timing mark. the motor(1) that gave up had the timing mark as this motor had.
Quote:
but the other motor(2) had the timing on the backplate very close to where it narrows at the relief for the poles to come out.
so basically either the motor1 had lots of positive timing on it or motor2 had negative timing on it.

have other people compared timing mark locations?
is the timing mark checked to be zero timing and is it on purpose or is it a production tolerance thing and thus the timing mark location cannot be trusted?
tomracing is offline   Reply With Quote