R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road > Team and Company Discussions

Old 03-25-2009, 11:10 AM   #301
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkirkwood View Post
How did you figure zero timing on the Orion? Last weekend I set my RS to 30 boost using version 189 software and then I cranked the timing clockwise on the motor 4 marks from the stock timing. My motor felt flat all day vs the 10 boost with stock timing that I had been running. For the main I left the 30 boost timing and cranked the timing to 2 marks clockwise of stock timing. My motor immediately felt like life was breathed back into it and my top 20 lap average was .2 sec quicker than I had been running all day.

Perhaps the 4th timing mark clockwise on the can from stock timing is actually slightly negative timing? Or the Orion just likes some timing in the motor to run properly?
Turning the endbell clockwise will retard the timing. Some say it's for more Acceleration.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:15 AM   #302
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I understood the stock timing (long timing mark) is not zero timing. Thus I retarded the timing back from the long timing mark since I was boosting the timing in the speed controller. If the long timing mark is zero timing then I'm running somewhere around 18-22 deg total timing (ESC Timing + retarded motor timing).
jkirkwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:47 AM   #303
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by POUNDITRACING View Post
Turning the endbell clockwise will retard the timing. Some say it's for more Acceleration.
What are you guys doing in 13.5?
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:10 PM   #304
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLNLST View Post
What are you guys doing in 13.5?
Going faster than you. J/K How are things in NOCAL? I haven't run 13.5 since the Speedworld Cup. I'll ask around and let you know.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:41 PM   #305
Tech Champion

Quote:
Going faster than you. J/K How are things in NOCAL? I haven't run 13.5 since the Speedworld Cup. I'll ask around and let you know.
Things are going great out here. The buzz about the Reedy has been good and has everyone all excited to race. We just don't know what tire we're going to be running so that hurts out of town racers from possibly attending....but hey....if they didn't learn their lesson last year then who am I to speak on it this year. 13.5 has been so competitive out here and the speedo seems to make and break you out here. Maybe we'll see ya for the warm up race.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:57 AM   #306
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkirkwood View Post
How did you figure zero timing on the Orion? Last weekend I set my RS to 30 boost using version 189 software and then I cranked the timing clockwise on the motor 4 marks from the stock timing. My motor felt flat all day vs the 10 boost with stock timing that I had been running. For the main I left the 30 boost timing and cranked the timing to 2 marks clockwise of stock timing. My motor immediately felt like life was breathed back into it and my top 20 lap average was .2 sec quicker than I had been running all day.

Perhaps the 4th timing mark clockwise on the can from stock timing is actually slightly negative timing? Or the Orion just likes some timing in the motor to run properly?

I should have said the center mark

So you were running 2 marks advanced as well as max boost.. what temp was the motor after your runs (gearing/wind)? My motor still seems like it has more in it but i though too much timing was no good, may have to try your setup and see

www.brccc.org
myan racing (coming soon)
myan_gsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 05:25 AM   #307
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by myan_gsr View Post
I should have said the center mark

So you were running 2 marks advanced as well as max boost.. what temp was the motor after your runs (gearing/wind)? My motor still seems like it has more in it but i though too much timing was no good, may have to try your setup and see
No, I'm retarding the timing 2 marks and running max boost. My temp comes off about 130 with the 17.5 in 1/12 with this setup. It's been a while since I ran this in touring car. If i put a larger gear on it to increase heat my laptimes get slower. If I gear down for more punch my laptimes get slower. Faster Laptime is greater than motor temp. I may try advancing the timing a bit more this weekend but I feel I'm pretty close to where the motor wants to run at. Also I just got the Tekin 194 software update and my speedconrollers updated last night, so that might but me back to square one.

For rubber tire touring and that setup I geared a 4.24 FDR . For 1/12th I geared 72-73mm rollout. Respectfully with just the stock timing (long timing mark) and no or little boost on the speed controller I was geared around 82mm in 1/12th and 3.8 in Touring. Note I run on some small tracks.
jkirkwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 03:44 PM   #308
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to xtrememadness

so in the setups for cavelieri wheh he says -3 lines i assume thats retarded clockwise
Old 03-26-2009, 03:48 PM   #309
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrememadness View Post
so in the setups for cavelieri wheh he says -3 lines i assume thats retarded clockwise
What set-up are you talking about?
Old 03-26-2009, 05:58 PM   #310
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
What set-up are you talking about?
if you go to orions website click on more racing news. under "orion dominates crcrc" scroll down and it says cav ran an orion 7.5 vortex 2008 with timing at -3 lines
Old 03-26-2009, 07:43 PM   #311
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrememadness View Post
if you go to orions website click on more racing news. under "orion dominates crcrc" scroll down and it says cav ran an orion 7.5 vortex 2008 with timing at -3 lines
That would be turning it clockwise or retarding the timing.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:10 PM   #312
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
That would be turning it clockwise or retarding the timing.
thanx poundit. appreciate the info
Old 03-30-2009, 09:23 AM   #313
Tech Master

Questions??

Excuse me:

Could somebody tell me how much KV ratings about these 2 new Vortex motors: 8.5T(28135) and 9.5T(28136), please?

Best regards
mac853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:04 PM   #314
Tech Champion

Any Orion drivers coming up for the warm up race at Speedworld?
Old 03-31-2009, 07:59 PM   #315
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

I'm going.

www.trackstarrc.com ~ www.facebook.com/TrackStarRC ~ Home of the 2x's Stock Nationals Champion TS-Gold & TS-Black tire sauce, TS-1+ lubricants, TS-Precision bearings, XRG Xtreme Racing Grease, Scale Auto Engineering, ElevenTech, WRD2, Carbon 12, Stiff Products
Racecrafter is offline   Reply With Quote