R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road > Team and Company Discussions

Like Tree1Likes

Old 03-23-2009, 02:55 PM   #286
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

how is it updated whats the diff?
kyoslo RB5/ novak motors/ LRP sphere/ m11/ orion 4800,3800,3600/ blazin chronic racing/wphukuall radio/ raikkonen body/ mongoosed km-mini inferno with the multiplex red ass servo that owns johnny b-main and drew/ now at lir the JDM zx-5 sp mugen edition

"team bad guys"
gweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 05:12 PM   #287
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to xtrememadness

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_mcduffie View Post
there is no v3.. we just call it a v3 cause its the updated v2.
so does that mean if it doesnt have the marking on the bottom of the sensor plug then its not the updated v2 also does this apply to the 17.5 and 13.5 stock spec or only the "race" motors. thanx
Old 03-23-2009, 06:15 PM   #288
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrememadness View Post
so does that mean if it doesnt have the marking on the bottom of the sensor plug then its not the updated v2 also does this apply to the 17.5 and 13.5 stock spec or only the "race" motors. thanx
it will say it on the side of the can. also the box that the motor comes in say version 2.

TLR www.tlracing.com | TEAM ORION www.teamorion.com | AKA www.raceaka.com | AIRTRONICS www.airtronics.net | MIP miponline.com | UPGRADE www.upgrade-rc.com |
b_mcduffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 06:12 AM   #289
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hey guys,

I need some advice on the tuning rotors (I have the set) for my 08 stockspec 17.5 motor in my TRF 416. I run on a little asphalt track at night:

Pic of track (zoom in a bit)
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&s...01486&t=h&z=20

I've geared the car to acheve a FDR of approx 4.3 which it seemed to be most happy (68degC after the run). I'm still struggling to keep with the other guys at the front running pro duos and losi 17.5's. Which rotor would be most appropriate for my track? I though being the 'rpm' rotor that it would give me a little more towards the end of the straight. Hopefully this is the right place to ask.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

BTW. I have a Tekin rs pro with the boost up to max (0 timing on the motor itself).

www.brccc.org
myan racing (coming soon)
myan_gsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:32 AM   #290
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by myan_gsr View Post
Hey guys,

I need some advice on the tuning rotors (I have the set) for my 08 stockspec 17.5 motor in my TRF 416. I run on a little asphalt track at night:

I've geared the car to acheve a FDR of approx 4.3 which it seemed to be most happy (68degC after the run). I'm still struggling to keep with the other guys at the front running pro duos and losi 17.5's. Which rotor would be most appropriate for my track? I though being the 'rpm' rotor that it would give me a little more towards the end of the straight. Hopefully this is the right place to ask.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

BTW. I have a Tekin rs pro with the boost up to max (0 timing on the motor itself).
I've never run the 17.5 but I was told that they got the same results as the testing we were doing with the 10.5. The best rotor is the stock one. We spent a whole day running different timing, rotors, and gearing. You might want to try a new battery or speedo. I've never run the Tekin but I'm really happy with my Orion ESC.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:05 AM   #291
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default Is my Orion 10.5 motor bad?

I decided to give the Orion Race 10.5 a try. I was running Orion Race Spec ESC and Hacker 10.5 in my ZX-5 FS. Hacker would come off the track after 10 minutes 145-150. I installed Orion 10.5(timing at 0) and left everything else the same. ZX was Slooooowwww! Ran 5-6 laps and pulled it off, motor was 158 degrees!

Could I have a bad motor out of the the box? Timing marks are on the side, so I assume that is the newer version.

What am I missing, help?

David
Billetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:14 AM   #292
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billetboy View Post
I decided to give the Orion Race 10.5 a try. I was running Orion Race Spec ESC and Hacker 10.5 in my ZX-5 FS. Hacker would come off the track after 10 minutes 145-150. I installed Orion 10.5(timing at 0) and left everything else the same. ZX was Slooooowwww! Ran 5-6 laps and pulled it off, motor was 158 degrees!

Could I have a bad motor out of the the box? Timing marks are on the side, so I assume that is the newer version.

What am I missing, help?

David
The timing marks are all on the side. Every motor needs to be geared a little different. Set the timing clockwise 2 lines and try again. Check motor after a couple of laps.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:28 AM   #293
Tech Apprentice

Any suggestions on where I should run the timing and FDR on a 10.5 for touring car using a KO speed control with stock profiles in it? The speed control is set at the touring car setting.
bestindebt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:30 AM   #294
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default 10.5 orion

Thx, for the quick response, I will try it tomorrow night at the track. Isn't increasing the timing going to generate even more heat and based on temps, I would assume I would have to drop a couple teeth, which would make it even slower.

David
Billetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:31 AM   #295
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billetboy View Post
Thx, for the quick response, I will try it tomorrow night at the track. Isn't increasing the timing going to generate even more heat and based on temps, I would assume I would have to drop a couple teeth, which would make it even slower.

David
Just do it. Watch your temps. And pay attention to the feel of the power. Everyone likes a different feel. Also I had a 10.5 that ran at 180* for 9 months before it exploded (air temp was 105*).
Old 03-24-2009, 11:33 AM   #296
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestindebt View Post
Any suggestions on where I should run the timing and FDR on a 10.5 for touring car using a KO speed control with stock profiles in it? The speed control is set at the touring car setting.
I would say around 5.5. This is much shorter than most motors. Two lines clockwise.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:32 PM   #297
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by POUNDITRACING View Post
I would say around 5.5. This is much shorter than most motors. Two lines clockwise.
Thanks for the help..So turning the endbell clockwise would be retarding the timing?
bestindebt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 01:36 PM   #298
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestindebt View Post
Thanks for the help..So turning the endbell clockwise would be retarding the timing?
Yes it would be. You have to keep the temps down. Try to stay around 150.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:38 PM   #299
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by POUNDITRACING View Post
I've never run the 17.5 but I was told that they got the same results as the testing we were doing with the 10.5. The best rotor is the stock one. We spent a whole day running different timing, rotors, and gearing. You might want to try a new battery or speedo. I've never run the Tekin but I'm really happy with my Orion ESC.
Hey thanks, I'll try it at racing tonight back to back and see what the results are in terms of lap pace. The speedy is brand new and is fantastic I would have got the Orion but it wasn't available when I needed it. But a new lipo is a must soon .

Cheers,
Steve

www.brccc.org
myan racing (coming soon)
myan_gsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:59 AM   #300
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by myan_gsr View Post
Hey guys,

Thanks in advance,
Steve

How did you figure zero timing on the Orion? Last weekend I set my RS to 30 boost using version 189 software and then I cranked the timing clockwise on the motor 4 marks from the stock timing. My motor felt flat all day vs the 10 boost with stock timing that I had been running. For the main I left the 30 boost timing and cranked the timing to 2 marks clockwise of stock timing. My motor immediately felt like life was breathed back into it and my top 20 lap average was .2 sec quicker than I had been running all day.

Perhaps the 4th timing mark clockwise on the can from stock timing is actually slightly negative timing? Or the Orion just likes some timing in the motor to run properly?
jkirkwood is offline   Reply With Quote