R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road > Team and Company Discussions

Like Tree1Likes

Old 01-27-2009, 10:43 PM   #196
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I know that on my 4.5 in my TC running Lipo it is retarded 2 lines. Same with my 6.5 in my 4wd. Both are the newest motors with the turn number on can and not on the end bell.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:40 AM   #197
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (98%+)

What do the guys on here think about the new BL speedy, i havent seen much about it on the forums.

Rhys
Old 01-28-2009, 07:19 AM   #198
Tech Elite

I've been running them for about a month now and I see no reason that these new ESC is not the best on the market. I've had some help from Joe to set them up for me and all I have to say is WOW!!!
Old 01-28-2009, 08:44 AM   #199
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc pete View Post
Thanks guys, I'll start there.

For the 13.5, Joe mentioned to keep the timing at 0, but Clint's setup sheet from the Chico carpet race shows 18 degrees... and a 4.7FDR. You cooking eggs on that thing or racing it? I'll have to play around with that one to see what I find, as well.
That was my first race using the motor and I had to play with different gearing and timing. The motor only reached 160 degrees after a 6 min race. I was looking to get a little more top end out of the motor. Looking at the lap times in the main I was heading in the right direction.
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:19 AM   #200
Tech Addict

My Vortex 2008 RACE 3.0T is dead without a reason.I have ran it only a couple of times.I don't know where i have to sent back (as i bought it from HK ) and if there is any hope of replacing.Any ideas please?
Old 01-29-2009, 08:54 AM   #201
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLNLST View Post
That was my first race using the motor and I had to play with different gearing and timing. The motor only reached 160 degrees after a 6 min race. I was looking to get a little more top end out of the motor. Looking at the lap times in the main I was heading in the right direction.
That's good to hear. I can't seem to get it very hot either. Have you tried the darkblue rotor? (12.5mm / 6mm) Apparently it's what the guys were running at the ISTC, although with mod motors.
Here's the spec chart: http://www.teamorion.com/orion/produ...8_armature.pdf
Although it doesn't mention how the performance compares on the Stock & Race rotors, you can take a pretty good guess based on the dimensions.
For the 13.5, the darkblue should give a little more RPM and torque with less midrage.
Don't know about the 17.5... it looks like it already has a fairly high RPM rotor with the large axle, but it would definitely increase torque.

I found some of these at Stormer, I'll see how they work when they get here.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:04 AM   #202
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
That's good to hear. I can't seem to get it very hot either. Have you tried the darkblue rotor? (12.5mm / 6mm) Apparently it's what the guys were running at the ISTC, although with mod motors.
Although it doesn't mention how the performance compares on the Stock & Race rotors, you can take a pretty good guess based on the dimensions.
For the 13.5, the darkblue should give a little more RPM and torque with less midrage.
Don't know about the 17.5... it looks like it already has a fairly high RPM rotor with the large axle, but it would definitely increase torque.

For the most part people don't mess with the rotors in spec racing motors as it's illegal to roar rules. I'm not 100% sure if the only rotor that is legal is a 12.23mm or if it's just a maximum of that.

-Korey
Old 01-29-2009, 09:25 AM   #203
Tech Champion

Quote:

From my past experiences with rotors I have found that the bigger they are the less RPM they have. The bigger rotors gave more bottom end but had to be geared very high to get the rpm back. This seems to be the better choice with mod motors. Spec is a different beast all together. I will find the happy spot with these motors real soon.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:54 AM   #204
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korey Harbke View Post
For the most part people don't mess with the rotors in spec racing motors as it's illegal to roar rules. I'm not 100% sure if the only rotor that is legal is a 12.23mm or if it's just a maximum of that.

-Korey
Good point, Korey. I'll have to check into that. No point in tinkering with something that's not legal to run anyway.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:49 AM   #205
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Run View Post
My Vortex 2008 RACE 3.0T is dead without a reason.I have ran it only a couple of times.I don't know where i have to sent back (as i bought it from HK ) and if there is any hope of replacing.Any ideas please?
Call Orion USA. 1-949-454-8854
Old 01-31-2009, 07:44 AM   #206
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
+1 on the 18deg, 4.7FDR on the 13.5 We have a 34x100 track with medium traction. I went up and down from there with timing and gear, but ended up back there. Thanks, Clint!
Old 01-31-2009, 08:12 AM   #207
Tech Champion

Quote:
+1 on the 18deg, 4.7FDR on the 13.5 We have a 34x100 track with medium traction. I went up and down from there with timing and gear, but ended up back there. Thanks, Clint!
Glad to hear that worked out for you. What speedo were you running? My first test was with the LRP sphere as I didn't have the funds to get the new Orion. I now have the Orion speedo for the next race on the 7th. I plan on playing with the speedo settings and trying to find out what the best setting and motor timing combo best suits a 13.5 to start with no matter what track you race at.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:47 AM   #208
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Glad to hear that worked out for you. What speedo were you running? My first test was with the LRP sphere as I didn't have the funds to get the new Orion. I now have the Orion speedo for the next race on the 7th. I plan on playing with the speedo settings and trying to find out what the best setting and motor timing combo best suits a 13.5 to start with no matter what track you race at.
LRP TC, but that's getting outdated with todays speedos. I have it cranked to the agressive profile #8, but that's pretty much all you can do with it for spec racing. Some of the newer speedos have separate profile & timing settings to help you better match the motor and track layout.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:16 PM   #209
oze
Tech Adept

Default Vortex Race

Has Vortex Race 5.5 motor got bonded or sintered rotor?
oze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 07:40 PM   #210
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oze View Post
Has Vortex Race 5.5 motor got bonded or sintered rotor?
All the Vortex motors have sintered rotors.

.:Team Orion : JConcepts : B-Fast RC:.
johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote