R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road > Team and Company Discussions

Old 03-19-2008, 05:16 PM   #121
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Syber Serulean

just got my stockstar. I notice the recommended FDR for a 2wd buggy is 10.00. Ill have to try that. I use to gear my CO27 at about 18 or 19 on the pinion and 81 on the spur, this recommended FDR is asking for 21 pinion 81 spur...

sounds good to me as long as it has the torque to push through that since it sounds a little tall to me (great for long straights tho...hmmm).

Is this one of those motors that "runs hot" to the point where i'll get confused by the heat nomatter what gearing i run it? Do i have to check the brushes after every run? Im so use to epic-based stocks that if they run "too hot" i get worried...

also, any way i can buy a few sets of brushes direct form AE or something? Im gonna put like 6 batteries of practice through it before i even show up for the JBRL then im probably gonna practice some more before cutting it lol. Im gonna need a good 3-5 sets of brushes to last me a while....
Syber Serulean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 06:49 PM   #122
Tech Master

Wanted to ask if the Stockstar is still on track to be ROAR legal within the next 2 weeks.

There's an upcoming race in early April which requires only ROAR legal motors, and I just picked up 2 of these new beauties. Sure would like to race them!

Thanks.

Badly influencing a new generation of racers!
~McSmooth~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:39 PM   #123
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syber Serulean View Post
just got my stockstar. I notice the recommended FDR for a 2wd buggy is 10.00. Ill have to try that. I use to gear my CO27 at about 18 or 19 on the pinion and 81 on the spur, this recommended FDR is asking for 21 pinion 81 spur...

sounds good to me as long as it has the torque to push through that since it sounds a little tall to me (great for long straights tho...hmmm).

Is this one of those motors that "runs hot" to the point where i'll get confused by the heat nomatter what gearing i run it? Do i have to check the brushes after every run? Im so use to epic-based stocks that if they run "too hot" i get worried...

also, any way i can buy a few sets of brushes direct form AE or something? Im gonna put like 6 batteries of practice through it before i even show up for the JBRL then im probably gonna practice some more before cutting it lol. Im gonna need a good 3-5 sets of brushes to last me a while....
after testing the stock and the 19t the motors they do ran hot. i was geared
about a 27.5 rollout motor was hot about 120 i checked the brushes and they still looked new then i went up to a 29.5 . motor was about
135 temp check the brushes still looked good. so by saying this heat to these motor seem to be ok so gear it where the motor seems to fall off
a bit then go one tooth down . you should frind the fight gearing from there
hope that helps .
all i can say these motors are good you should get about 5 to 10 runs befor you need to retune them , long as you dont over heat the brushes, so gear up until it cant no more

Last edited by BILL.D; 03-19-2008 at 08:13 PM.
BILL.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:35 AM   #124
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by corallyman View Post
I noticed from the pictures posted your pits looked a lot cleaner than most pros pits, not having the usual clutter of 2 cargers, 10 packs, 2 power supplies, etc. Congrats on your excellent finishes Rick.

Steve

Thanks!
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:39 AM   #125
Tech Elite

Quote:

Iampretty usre you can buy these directly from AE if you call the number and choose the ordering option. The part number is #784.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~McSmooth~ View Post
Wanted to ask if the Stockstar is still on track to be ROAR legal within the next 2 weeks.

There's an upcoming race in early April which requires only ROAR legal motors, and I just picked up 2 of these new beauties. Sure would like to race them!

Thanks.
They should be lega by then. The remaining info have been submitted so all that is left is posting on the website.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:57 AM   #126
Tech Fanatic

Default lpr engines

hey Rick: Two things about lrp engines. First how involved with r&d are you with lrp products or does AE just import their stuff? Also is there any new or updated .12 or .21 engines coming from lrp and will AE be offering them? Thanks for the info
b-man777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:05 AM   #127
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man777 View Post
hey Rick: Two things about lrp engines. First how involved with r&d are you with lrp products or does AE just import their stuff? Also is there any new or updated .12 or .21 engines coming from lrp and will AE be offering them? Thanks for the info
I am not involved with the R&D or decisions about LRP nitro engines, But I am sure we are going to begin selling the Z21R and Z12R Team Spec engines soon.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:07 PM   #128
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Is there a way to tell the older Reedy Neo-1 motors apart? I have 2 of them, and I can find no markings to differentiate the two. Do they have any particular markings under the end bells? Thanks for the help, Billy.

I tried to post this on the AE forums, but it would not let me register for some reason.
BCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:59 AM   #129
Tech Elite

whats the suggested break-in procedure to maximize performance from the stockstar?
Old 03-26-2008, 08:32 AM   #130
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCall View Post
Is there a way to tell the older Reedy Neo-1 motors apart? I have 2 of them, and I can find no markings to differentiate the two. Do they have any particular markings under the end bells? Thanks for the help, Billy.

I tried to post this on the AE forums, but it would not let me register for some reason.
I know of no way to tell the motors apart other than possibly external labeling.

Quote:
whats the suggested break-in procedure to maximize performance from the stockstar?
Use a drop of oil on each bushing and run the motor at no more than 5 volts for 30 seconds.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:14 PM   #131
Tech Elite

should i put any comm drops on it?
Old 03-26-2008, 12:29 PM   #132
Tech Elite

use nothing on the brushes.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:36 PM   #133
Tech Elite

thank you for the info!

i was just wonderin cuz ive read some people break em in like....wire it to spin backwards and partially immerse it in water....

MVP tricks im assuming? or something...

one last question...
do i put anything on it? like a pinion or something...or just break it in as it is?
Old 03-27-2008, 10:59 AM   #134
Tech Elite

Quote:
thank you for the info!

i was just wonderin cuz ive read some people break em in like....wire it to spin backwards and partially immerse it in water....

MVP tricks im assuming? or something...

one last question...
do i put anything on it? like a pinion or something...or just break it in as it is?
Water break-in originated with silver can sealed motors where you are unable to do anything to the brush. The water accelerate brush break-in so that the brushes are oriented optimally in as little time as possible.

You can use a press-on fan on the motor shaft, this adds a little resistance and blows cool air over the motor.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:06 PM   #135
Tech Elite

alright i have a strange issue with my stockstar...

but first...a friend of mine ran his and it delaminated in his first heat of the JBRL. It wasnt even hot...strange issue as mine worked great all day.

anyways, my issue...
the motor never gets hot. Granted is mainly 50 degree weather and i always froze my the motor with a can of Dust Off upside-down before my heat...it still never got hot. I started off at 20/81 (i have a b4). Then 18/81...then 16/84...the motor still didnt get hot. How low do i have to gear this thing? lol. I originally started at the recommended FDR of 10.00...im at 10.65 it looks like right now. Any tips? help? Im probably just gonna leave it as it is for now cuz it runs pretty good so no complaints, but if you guys have better tips or gearing tips with that motor lemme know. Thanks.