R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road > Team and Company Discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-03-2008, 04:51 PM   #106
Tech Elite
 
LOW ET's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: cleveland, ohio
Posts: 2,485
Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)
Default

now the status of the 5000 pro lipo says late march
LOW ET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:51 PM   #107
Tech Elite
 
LOW ET's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: cleveland, ohio
Posts: 2,485
Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)
Default

now the status of the 5000 pro lipo says late march
LOW ET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:13 AM   #108
Tech Elite
 
Rick Hohwart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,857
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by convikt View Post
Will we be expecting the lipos soon? I would like to give them a whirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW ET View Post
now the status of the 5000 pro lipo says late march
The first shipments are going to SRS in Scottsdale, AZ for the Cactus Classic and the Hobbyplex in Oamaha, NE for the Carpet Nats. I am sure you can call them and mail order one. Otherwise the batteries are on the way to distributors in smaller quantities and then in larger quantities the middle of the month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Brown View Post
Rick- Really too bad about the Stockstar approval delay. We were looking forward to running a Reedy stocker again at the Carpet Nats. Just have to wait a little longer I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrrus View Post
just curious if the rockstar is avail yet, if so where. not caring if it's roar legal. just what to try it out.

plus all my 27t. are all done, need to get new motors.
I think everyone will be happy with the motor's performance

We are truly bummed not to be able to get the motor approved on time. We have faced many delays out of our control. This motor (and the Challenger 19T) should have been approved and on shelves in January.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 02:10 PM   #109
Tech Elite
 
LOW ET's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: cleveland, ohio
Posts: 2,485
Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)
Default

rick, my packs have been on order since january.
LOW ET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 07:54 PM   #110
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New Bern, N.C.
Posts: 1,179
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

does anybody know what kind of gearing works good in the stockstar in a 1/12th scale car? Rick.....are you listening? I tried one today geared about the same as my typical Co27 and the stockstar seemed pretty hot and way punchy but not all that fast. Due to the heat I geared down two teeth. That made just slightly less heat but slowed the car down substantially. Next I went up two teeth higher than my CO27. the car seemed a fair amount faster and still had punch but was quite hot. Even with the heat, the brushes don't look burnt at all. In fact they look really nice. At this last ratio (50.5mm) the motor is still not as fast as my CO's (which I usually gear around 48mm). So I'm thinking the stockstar needs even more gear, or else perhaps lighter brush springs. Any suggestions?? It's a beautiful motor and I really like the brush hood system. But if it's not fast, then who cares how nicely made it its? So far it seems to run much like the orion motors with the similarly nice looking hoods.
vafactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 08:37 AM   #111
Tech Elite
 
Rick Hohwart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,857
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafactor View Post
does anybody know what kind of gearing works good in the stockstar in a 1/12th scale car? Rick.....are you listening? I tried one today geared about the same as my typical Co27 and the stockstar seemed pretty hot and way punchy but not all that fast. Due to the heat I geared down two teeth. That made just slightly less heat but slowed the car down substantially. Next I went up two teeth higher than my CO27. the car seemed a fair amount faster and still had punch but was quite hot. Even with the heat, the brushes don't look burnt at all. In fact they look really nice. At this last ratio (50.5mm) the motor is still not as fast as my CO's (which I usually gear around 48mm). So I'm thinking the stockstar needs even more gear, or else perhaps lighter brush springs. Any suggestions?? It's a beautiful motor and I really like the brush hood system. But if it's not fast, then who cares how nicely made it its? So far it seems to run much like the orion motors with the similarly nice looking hoods.
More gear and don't worry about the heat if the brushes still look good.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 05:38 PM   #112
Tech Elite
 
Syber Serulean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Riverside
Posts: 3,656
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Syber Serulean
Default

had an old hellfire rs24 motor laying around and was setting up an old tc3 to have a first timer friend race a rookie class. Has the 72 spur on the tc3...

cut the rs24 and put some 767's on it. Put it in, practiced for a few minutes and pulled the car over to see how hot the motor was...

...way too hot. I was at 24/72 and it just hurt like crazy to touch the can. Dropped to a 22t pinion and my buddy practiced with it and it came off again incredibly hot. Raced with a 20t pinion and again, came off like it was on fire. At this point, it look like top-speed was suffering now. Was considering dropping to a 19 but if i overshot the gearing by going too-low, it would have burnt up for sure. Told my buddy to skip the second qual...

had the motor looked at and the comm needed to be cut once more (that makes twice in one day) since it was already pretty black. The brushes, i think i heard the guy say they were turning red...if that is what i heard, im clueless what he meant but he did say it was too hot and the brushes were done. He put some new ones in for me (cool guy). Ran the motor around in practice before the mains with the 19t pinion and after 5 laps it was already pretty hot. Pulled it off, my friend reminded me of a monster stock he had laying around that was actually mine, cut it, transferred the brushes over from the hellfire, then dropped a 26pinion (since i had tons of gearing experience with my old tc3 and those type of motors), and it ran great and he ended up takin third.

After all the fuss and frustration with this motor and makin sure i didnt kill it cuz i wanted to keep it, i accidentally dropped it and the plastic piece on the endbell broke off.

Assuming this is the same as an MVP and Core Stock....what gives? I heard these motors simply "run hot" come on....how hot is hot? This thing just seemed like it didnt like any gearing i threw at it. If any of you peeps ever ran this motor in a tc3, lemme know how you geared it and stuff. This one baffled me lol.
Syber Serulean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 06:19 PM   #113
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New Bern, N.C.
Posts: 1,179
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Rick, that's what I was hoping to hear. I'll keep going up in gear until the punch drops off, the lap times drop off, or the brushes look abused. So far, even at 50.5mm rollout none of the above has yet to happen. Thanks for the input.
vafactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 06:57 PM   #114
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: maryland
Posts: 3,972
Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafactor View Post
Rick, that's what I was hoping to hear. I'll keep going up in gear until the punch drops off, the lap times drop off, or the brushes look abused. So far, even at 50.5mm rollout none of the above has yet to happen. Thanks for the input.
ya bud i looked at the 19t when i got home and the brushes still looked new rick and the guys at AE good job on these motors
__________________
comming soon MOTORHEAD RC MOTORSPORTS...........
BILL.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 01:45 AM   #115
Tech Elite
 
corallyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Edmonds, Wash
Posts: 4,291
Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syber Serulean View Post
had an old hellfire rs24 motor laying around and was setting up an old tc3 to have a first timer friend race a rookie class. Has the 72 spur on the tc3...

Assuming this is the same as an MVP and Core Stock....what gives? I heard these motors simply "run hot" come on....how hot is hot? This thing just seemed like it didnt like any gearing i threw at it. If any of you peeps ever ran this motor in a tc3, lemme know how you geared it and stuff. This one baffled me lol.

Not trying to be a jerk or anything but this is a Reedy thread, not Peak.

That being said, motors can get very hot by being undergeared too. Not sure about your motor though, but do keep that in mind.

Steve Curry

How's it going Rick
corallyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 02:42 AM   #116
Tech Elite
 
Syber Serulean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Riverside
Posts: 3,656
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Syber Serulean
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by corallyman View Post
Not trying to be a jerk or anything but this is a Reedy thread, not Peak.

That being said, motors can get very hot by being undergeared too. Not sure about your motor though, but do keep that in mind.

Steve Curry

How's it going Rick
no offense taken, was just curious since i thought the hellfire was just a relabled MVP.
Syber Serulean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 01:59 PM   #117
Tech Elite
 
Syber Serulean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Riverside
Posts: 3,656
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Syber Serulean
Default

Will there be different style and compound brushes made available for the stockstar? I plan on using it at the end of the month for a race series and am gonna need new brushes for every new venue we hit...

i dont see any online
Syber Serulean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:10 AM   #118
Tech Elite
 
Rick Hohwart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,857
Default

I just wanted to give a small update. I just returned from the ROAR Carpet Nationals where I used the 5000 Pro battery in both the TC Modified and Super Stock (using LRP 10.5) classes. The battery worked great in both classes and powered me to A-main finishes in each.

Even though many LiPo batteries were legal and available for the event, the Reedy battery was the only LiPo used by any driver in the A-main in these two factory supported classes.

Power and run time were excellent. I am confident enough in the performance of the battery that I will never run an NiMH battery as long as LiPo is allowed.

The Reedy team drivers attending the Cactus Classic used the Reedy 5000 in their 2wd buggies and Trucks. Jake Thayer used the Reedy LiPo 5000 in his victory in the SRS Truck (10.5 motor, 15 minutes) class.

Batteries will be shipping this month in large quantities but for those that need them now, Scottsdale R/C (SRS) in Arizona and the Hobbytown USA in Omaha have some left in stock.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:13 AM   #119
Tech Elite
 
Rick Hohwart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,857
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syber Serulean View Post
Will there be different style and compound brushes made available for the stockstar? I plan on using it at the end of the month for a race series and am gonna need new brushes for every new venue we hit...

i dont see any online
At this time we have the one brush compound and two spring tensions. We are working on additional compounds which should be released as soon as the vendor gets things all sorted out.

Personally, the brushes that come with it are pretty good and will work under most circumstances.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:40 PM   #120
Tech Elite
 
corallyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Edmonds, Wash
Posts: 4,291
Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
Even though many LiPo batteries were legal and available for the event, the Reedy battery was the only LiPo used by any driver in the A-main in these two factory supported classes.

Power and run time were excellent. I am confident enough in the performance of the battery that I will never run an NiMH battery as long as LiPo is allowed.
I noticed from the pictures posted your pits looked a lot cleaner than most pros pits, not having the usual clutter of 2 cargers, 10 packs, 2 power supplies, etc. Congrats on your excellent finishes Rick.

Steve
corallyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Futaba MC800, Reedy Neo One 6.5, Reedy Ti Mods convikt R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 6 10-08-2007 06:38 AM
Comm Lathe, NIB Reedy 19T Armature, Reedy 766 or 767 brushes, Sonic Fiddlestick Cain R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 4 06-12-2007 07:43 AM
Airtronics Synthesized-stuff,FM rec's,REEDY BRUSHESS,REEDY MOD MOTORS,etc,etc, nobike R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 89 03-22-2007 10:33 AM
JR XS3, LRP 7.1, Reedy Quasar Pro, Reedy 12 double S.Heath R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 1 10-31-2005 07:48 AM
MR-4TCSD, Reedy X-Cell 3300, Reedy Kr Randy Caster R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 9 07-03-2003 08:27 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:56 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0