R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road > Team and Company Discussions

Old 10-04-2011, 11:18 AM   #331
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

question: I just bought a sonic 10.5 motor second hand and ran it a few packs and was playing with the gearing and I noticed after one pack the motor overheated so I let it cool down for roughly and hour before my next pack and on my next pack I noticed a peculiar sound coming from the motor im pretty sure and now a slight drop in performance??? I disassembled the motor looking for clues and i cant come up with anything other than the sensor board looks as if it began to melt a tiny bit in one spot. the bearings were my first guess and they spin great still so im at a loss. Any advice?
Old 10-05-2011, 01:38 AM   #332
Tech Addict

Is there a new 2S LiPo from Reedy planned for the next year? Insted of the 5500 60C? Is Reedy planing to relese their own ESC?
Geberit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:22 PM   #333
Tech Rookie

Hi,

can you advise the sonic mod. 7,5t motor? I want to buy it for my Losi 22 together with a LRP SXX or Team Orion R10pro. What does adjustable timing mean? Sorry for the stupid question, but i am totally new to electric racing
Ninja JX-B01
RB Fuel
Chris87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:07 PM   #334
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer x 1 View Post
question: I just bought a sonic 10.5 motor second hand and ran it a few packs and was playing with the gearing and I noticed after one pack the motor overheated so I let it cool down for roughly and hour before my next pack and on my next pack I noticed a peculiar sound coming from the motor im pretty sure and now a slight drop in performance??? I disassembled the motor looking for clues and i cant come up with anything other than the sensor board looks as if it began to melt a tiny bit in one spot. the bearings were my first guess and they spin great still so im at a loss. Any advice?
The bearing/sensor board assembly may have cocked slightly so the rotor isnt lined up properly. I had that happen to a 17.5

Awesomatix USA/Pyscho Cells Racing/LRP/Sweep Racing/RSD/Middle River Hobbies/Johns Mobile Raceway/TQ Wire/Avid
geeunit1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 02:13 PM   #335
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geberit View Post
Is there a new 2S LiPo from Reedy planned for the next year? Insted of the 5500 60C? Is Reedy planing to relese their own ESC?
We are always working on new batteries. A new 2S is in the works but drivers like Hara continue to prove that the newer higher C batteries are not necessarily better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris87 View Post
Hi,

can you advise the sonic mod. 7,5t motor? I want to buy it for my Losi 22 together with a LRP SXX or Team Orion R10pro. What does adjustable timing mean? Sorry for the stupid question, but i am totally new to electric racing
Timing allows the motor to be adjusted to run faster or slower depending on track conditions. However in most cases this is set once and not changed as the ESC typically allows for timing and other power output adjustments.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:05 AM   #336
Tech Elite

Any news on whether we will be able to buy 13.5 Reedy Sonic stators separately anytime soon?

Thanks
Skiddins
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RD Disco
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:11 AM   #337
Tech Elite

I recall the max temp on Reedy motors is recommended at 80degC

Should this be measured on the outer case or through the ventilation holes, i.e. measuring the temp inside?

Skiddins
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RD Disco
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:47 PM   #338
Tech Addict

Can this be used for my AE TC6? Maybe for stock racing ...

http://www.redrc.net/2011/10/reedy-4...rty-lipo-pack/
http://www.teamassociated.com/news/l...V_Shorty_LiPo/
Geberit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:41 AM   #339
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
Any news on whether we will be able to buy 13.5 Reedy Sonic stators separately anytime soon?

Thanks
Skiddins
Because of the demand for these motors all stators are being built into motors. I hope that by December 1 we will be able to offer them stators separately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
I recall the max temp on Reedy motors is recommended at 80degC

Should this be measured on the outer case or through the ventilation holes, i.e. measuring the temp inside?

Skiddins
We measure the can. In the stock motor classes like 13.5 and up, we use a fan to cool the motor when it is operating and the fan is generally wired directly to the battery. Because the fan is always on when the battery is plugged in, the motor can cool significantly before you have a chance to temp it. Be sure to temp as soon as possible after running (preferably by a pit man).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geberit View Post
This battery would work very will in Mod TC as well. the only drawback is that you will have to add ballast to bring the car back to minimum weight. But no worries if weight is not being checked.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:47 PM   #340
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

First day with the new Reedy Sonic 17.5. Very impressive quality and great performance. Haven't run it in boosted yet, but the motor was very smooth and powerful in non-boost. Put a lap on the field. Looking forward to opening this thing up to see what it can do with some added timing.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:41 PM   #341
Tech Apprentice

Hello,

Any advice for the gear ratio of my tc6 with a reedy sonic 4.5 T on a large european track ?

Thanx !
kerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:10 AM   #342
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerb View Post
Hello,

Any advice for the gear ratio of my tc6 with a reedy sonic 4.5 T on a large european track ?

Thanx !
I would say 7.5:1 but this depends a lot on the ESC settings.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:48 AM   #343
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
Hey Rick this is Kelly English an acquaintance of yours off/on for 25 years since Briggs Cunnigham, Hot Tracks in the L.A. area

I have a question?

The Reedy race is quite popular and important race for new to Pro racers

Since turn outs are lower these days can 12th be assimilated into the Reedy race?

All other large races have 12th except the Reedy and your roots are in 12th which is why I ask you since you have been a big part of the beginnings of 12th scale and even had your own company that at one time focused on 12th motors primarily *Double green dot*
It might even help with Reedy marketing/sales and bring more people into RC that are not big fans of TC but love 12th scale

It seems to kinda be on comeback a little with even more competitive 12th cars available than TC cars currently available and wonder if you would also think it would be good to add 12th since Reedy motors we're initially designed for 12th in the electric beginning of RC racing

Nice to see you are still racing and still kicking butt!!

Later

Last edited by Infinite 12th; 11-14-2011 at 12:14 PM.
Infinite 12th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:50 PM   #344
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite 12th View Post
Hey Rick this is Kelly English an acquaintance of yours off/on for 25 years since Briggs Cunnigham, Hot Tracks in the L.A. area

I have a question?

The Reedy race is quite popular and important race for new to Pro racers

Since turn outs are lower these days can 12th be assimilated into the Reedy race?

All other large races have 12th except the Reedy and your roots are in 12th which is why I ask you since you have been a big part of the beginnings of 12th scale and even had your own company that at one time focused on 12th motors primarily *Double green dot*
It might even help with Reedy marketing/sales and bring more people into RC that are not big fans of TC but love 12th scale

It seems to kinda be on comeback a little with even more competitive 12th cars available than TC cars currently available and wonder if you would also think it would be good to add 12th since Reedy motors we're initially designed for 12th in the electric beginning of RC racing

Nice to see you are still racing and still kicking butt!!

Later
Hey Kelly of course I remember you! 1/12 on asphalt has been a hard sell lately. We hope that the RROC will grow again and we feel it will but even at its biggest a 160 person field is about all that we can handle. It is worth exploring but I bet we could not get 15 guys to race 1/12. If the race was on carpet it could possibly be something that could be popular.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:55 PM   #345
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
Hey Kelly of course I remember you! 1/12 on asphalt has been a hard sell lately. We hope that the RROC will grow again and we feel it will but even at its biggest a 160 person field is about all that we can handle. It is worth exploring but I bet we could not get 15 guys to race 1/12. If the race was on carpet it could possibly be something that could be popular.
Glad you responded

I think I understand where your coming from just was wondering if the RROC circle could be expanded for the "original electric class" that Mike was a Paramount part of initiating and supporting. Been watching many of your races and your racing has only improved. I hope I can come to regionals at TQ with you and Mr. Berger

Keep up the good work at Reedy and hope to see you soon 12th scale dude and friend

p.s.

I was hoping that maybe Hara, Paul, and Mark would be interested in gaining an RROC 12th scale prestigious title and thus it's RROC 12th scale presence would be greater recieved than just 15 drivers. I Know that at the RROC people usually just stick to one class so my hopes we're for the big drivers like yourself to create an championship title 12th interest. Hope you do well at your races Rick nice to talk to you