Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road > Team and Company Discussions
Castle Creations Mamba/MM/MMM FACTORY Q&A thread! >

Castle Creations Mamba/MM/MMM FACTORY Q&A thread!

Like Tree3Likes

Castle Creations Mamba/MM/MMM FACTORY Q&A thread!

Old 02-04-2007, 07:41 AM
Tech Elite

going to be in tamiya DI. it has more gears in it than the XXX4 and is shaft drive, so a 6900 probly wont be as much power to the wheels on it. but i want the most power possible. i want to be able to run the buggy as fast as my revo in a drag and want it to be able to rip the tires off the wheels on the start. can the 7700 do that? will it spin the tires on launches?
Old 02-04-2007, 09:26 AM
Tech Regular

Raj...there are a few things you can do to solve the problem. The easy thing to do is program the ESC for lowest timing, low start power, turn up punch control a little, and drag the throttle curve down from about 50-60% to make a nice gentle upward curve. The expensive thing is buy a more powerful pack. Kokam/Orion 4800's are my pack of choice...and Crash's.

streetracer...if your batteries can supply the current all of our motors are able to do that. An electric system is only as good as it's battery pack. If the pack can't supply the current the voltage drops like a rock and performance suffers until the current drops to a manageable level...then pack voltage recovers and performance increases. If your pack can handle the current though the wheels will balloon off the line and you'll be burnin out.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:33 AM
Tech Elite

brand new orion super duty 3000's. only been ru na few times and still work great. will that do it? and i am probly going to build a 7 or 8 cell battery to use with it. it can take 8 cells right?
Old 02-04-2007, 11:50 AM
Tech Elite

if i build a 7cell 4600, will it have enough power for the 7700?
Old 02-04-2007, 03:07 PM
Tech Regular

Yep, it'll handle 8 cells max. The 3000's probably won't work...I've vented GP3300 cells with some of my 7700 setups. Go with the IB4200WC cells...best out there and you won't be disappointed. My motto w/batteries is "buy expensive, buy once". Check www.battlepack.com out. Best prices I know of for both pre-made packs and loose cells of 4200WC's.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Joe Ford
Sampaio...if you can get the ESC to connect, go to the software tab, and click "update firmware". That should solve it. If you cannot get it to link back up let me know and I will get a new one out to you.
Hi Joe,

Ok, after firmware update the system is alive. But just a single question, yesterday was my first run with Mamba Max + CM36 5700. Thanks

But I found problem using IB4200 and GP4300.... The motor temperature was about 70 ºC, but many time the motor stop/restart...... do you know enythink about it?

My seetings is:
Forward/brake w/o reverse
Bracke Amount: 50%
Punch Control: 80%
Drag Brake: disabled
Start Poer: Medium
Motor Timing: Normal
No cutoff

thanks in advance

Sampaio
Old 02-04-2007, 08:38 PM
Tech Elite

ok before i go spending money on batteries, will 7.2V be enough?

and quick question. why is the motor measured in Kv's?
Old 02-04-2007, 08:41 PM
Tech Elite

and do you know of anywere ican get a 7cell battery with one cell on the top?
Old 02-05-2007, 07:25 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Hey Guys, Thanks a lot for your input. I guess I need to get some real world data on how much amps are passing through my setup with the help of an onboard ammeter/voltmeter. This will confirm the proper course of action.

Originally Posted by rcracingkid
Raj, it may have something to do with the 15c rated pack not supplying enough power (burst) try gearing ti down a couple teeth.
I will drop down a tooth or two since I need a different ratio for our tracks current layout as well as drop my initial amp burst.

Originally Posted by CRASH
I agree with rcracingkid, this sounds like the motor is not getting enough volatge an initial full throttle to get it going as quickly as you would like. Try gearing down like suggested. Also what are your settings at on your esc?

Later,
Forward and Brake w/ reverse lockout
Bracke Amount: 40%
Punch Control: 60%
Drag Brake: disabled
Start Power: Medium
Motor Timing: Normal
9.6v cutoff

Originally Posted by Joe Ford
Raj...there are a few things you can do to solve the problem. The easy thing to do is program the ESC for lowest timing, low start power, turn up punch control a little, and drag the throttle curve down from about 50-60% to make a nice gentle upward curve. The expensive thing is buy a more powerful pack. Kokam/Orion 4800's are my pack of choice...and Crash's.
I think the timing and throttle curve adjustments will do the trick. I think my batts are in the same category as the kokams but I will definitely try one of the new 20c+ packs just for comparison.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:16 PM
Tech Elite

im yet to find a place to get the new 6900 motor.. but i would like to know how many cells it can take? also a place that has them in stock would be great. thanks.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by streetracer745
im yet to find a place to get the new 6900 motor.. but i would like to know how many cells it can take? also a place that has them in stock would be great. thanks.
8 cell max(nimh), 2s li-po max.

If you can't find any give us a call at Castle, we have them in stock.

Later,
Old 02-05-2007, 08:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Talking Need help/info

I'm running the mamba max 7700 for Touring mod and wondering about what drag brake % to use. I'm guessing it will be all about how it feels on the track. The last few club races I've gone with no drag brake and 50% brake but found I had alot of push in my car. I can run really quick laps but just not consistant enough. We run on a 36x75 carpet track and laptimes are down in the 8.8 to 9.2 range.

These are my settings.

Proportional w/o reverse
Punch control 0%
brake amount 50%
Start power Low
timing low
no cut-off

Using IB4200WC matched by TQ Cells

The ESC and motor temperatures are good....not above 170*

I'm thinking of going to Drag Brake set at 15 to 25% to help me in the corners better.

Other than that I love the Mamba Max 7700.....fastest motor I have ever driven I also have the 4600 which I thought would be good in 19t...but it's alittle quick for that.

Lmk what you think on adding drag brake.

Doug
Old 02-05-2007, 09:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey Doug. I'm also running Mamba Max in touring Mod at my local track (36' x something fairly short, carpet foams, Mod lap times generally around 7.0) and also in WCICS regional races. I have the 5700 and 4600, and then 5700 is definitely fast enough for me (I usually run 16t 48p pinion). One guy in Regina has a 7700, and it's pretty sick (I think the power is actually too much and is slowing him down).

I'm still playing, and I actually put a 19t into my mod car because the car was doing crazy things (severe case of the sh~t hooks in sharp corners) and I checked _everything_. Finally I made it identical to my stock car, which was planted, and put in 19t, and it too was planted. I had balanced the car left-right, but I think the back end was too heavy and it was causing strong oversteer. I'll be putting the 5700 or 4600 back in for this weekend's race, and try adding my right-side lead to the front of the chassis. It also may have been drag brake, but I don't think so (I became very conscious of my throttle motions as I was doing everything possible to cure the hooks).

Anyways, I've been running some drag brake to make it feel more like a brushed motor. So far I'm only using brake when there's a long straight followed by a very tight corner or a chicane. Maybe I should be using it into more corners, but I'm still learning the tricks to mod racing.

I've found the 4600 to be quite slow if you put your smallest pinion on it. Just expect to get up to top speed in about 0.05 seconds ;>

-Adam
Old 02-05-2007, 09:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by adamge
Hey Doug. I'm also running Mamba Max in touring Mod at my local track (36' x something fairly short, carpet foams, Mod lap times generally around 7.0) and also in WCICS regional races. I have the 5700 and 4600, and then 5700 is definitely fast enough for me (I usually run 16t 48p pinion). One guy in Regina has a 7700, and it's pretty sick (I think the power is actually too much and is slowing him down).

I'm still playing, and I actually put a 19t into my mod car because the car was doing crazy things (severe case of the sh~t hooks in sharp corners) and I checked _everything_. Finally I made it identical to my stock car, which was planted, and put in 19t, and it too was planted. I had balanced the car left-right, but I think the back end was too heavy and it was causing strong oversteer. I'll be putting the 5700 or 4600 back in for this weekend's race, and try adding my right-side lead to the front of the chassis. It also may have been drag brake, but I don't think so (I became very conscious of my throttle motions as I was doing everything possible to cure the hooks).

Anyways, I've been running some drag brake to make it feel more like a brushed motor. So far I'm only using brake when there's a long straight followed by a very tight corner or a chicane. Maybe I should be using it into more corners, but I'm still learning the tricks to mod racing.

I've found the 4600 to be quite slow if you put your smallest pinion on it. Just expect to get up to top speed in about 0.05 seconds ;>

-Adam
Thanks Adam

I'll be doing lots of practice this Friday. It's our annual Mid-Winter Trophy Race. I hope by adding some drag brake in it will solve my problem. I actually like the 7700...geared it 20/116 with 60mm tires and just go with it as the tires wear down. There's a 5700 and an Lrp 4 star running at our track as well...they are both fast and running drag brake...so I'm going to give it a shot.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:30 PM
Tech Elite

well towerhobbies just put them out, but they are still orderign them so there is no tellign how long it will be. how much would yall sell the system for?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.