R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road > Team and Company Discussions

Old 07-09-2014, 12:35 PM   #1366
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I have an aluminum bellcrank on mine. Still not happy with the slop. Car looks good. Share setup sheet?

USVTA member #111
NutDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:30 AM   #1367
Tech Master

I ran the setup listed in post #1327. For my tires/body/condition of my tires/etc, I found the setup to be quite loose. The changes that I made from that setup were a ball diff in the front instead of a spool, 3mm of droop instead of 5mm, and a 66 tooth spur gear. I also moved the upper mount of the rear shock towards the center one hole and removed the rear swaybar. The car was pretty well planted with these changes. I may have induced a slight push, actually. I think I might start by adding a black rear swaybar and see where we go from there. Depending on how it handles with the black rear sway bar, I will probably go to the spool in the front. The front diff seemed to add steering, but I am more or a ham-fisted driver than a finesse driver.

USVTA member #111
Old 08-06-2014, 11:32 AM   #1368
Tech Master

BTW, this was USGT with the Gravity spec tires and a HPI 190mm Viper body. Ran a SpeedPassion 3.0 MMM motor with about 30* of timing advance and a Speed Passion heatsink on the motor.

USVTA member #111
Old 09-21-2014, 11:13 PM   #1369
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

is anyone still running the dc4 upgrade? can you comment on the cars performance for 17.5 blinky.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:28 AM   #1370
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer x 1 View Post
is anyone still running the dc4 upgrade? can you comment on the cars performance for 17.5 blinky.
The car's performance in stock is pretty good, it runs like all of the other stuff out there and is exactly as fast as it's driver/builder. All of my little gripes are pretty much Associated's fault, not Diggity. Things like the play inherent to TC4 steering bellcranks, how the associated ball diff can be tricky, and the poor mount for the swaybars are annoying but can't really be avoided as it is based on a TC4.

I'll likely be running the car at the IIC again this year, and a year of work and upgrades is a long time. I guess that if I had an issue with the car consistently is that it's a bit heavy, at least mine is because I run a no-motor-limit ESC, metal gear servo, and a massive battery but even after swapping out nearly all of the hardware for titanium or aluminum it's still 15-20g overweight with a light body. I guess that's the price I pay to have a 7200mah battery.
It is obvious and intuitive to the most casual of observers that RC racing is better than golf.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 07:06 AM   #1371
Tech Master

My one complaint with the car is the motor mount. I have trouble accessing the lower motor screw. Had to go to a 66t 48p spur so that I could access the lower screw. I have not corner weighted the car, so moving the motor away from the chassis centerline might actually help LR balance.

USVTA member #111
Old 09-22-2014, 11:08 AM   #1372
Tech Elite

The only way I can access the lower motor mount screw is using a really long hex driver and compressing the suspension up and out of the way.
It is obvious and intuitive to the most casual of observers that RC racing is better than golf.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:22 PM   #1373
Tech Champion

Smile

Switch to a 6000mah pack, and you will be fine... 15g to 20g over is not that bad though..... Good luck at the IIC this year....
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
The car's performance in stock is pretty good, it runs like all of the other stuff out there and is exactly as fast as it's driver/builder. All of my little gripes are pretty much Associated's fault, not Diggity. Things like the play inherent to TC4 steering bellcranks, how the associated ball diff can be tricky, and the poor mount for the swaybars are annoying but can't really be avoided as it is based on a TC4.

I'll likely be running the car at the IIC again this year, and a year of work and upgrades is a long time. I guess that if I had an issue with the car consistently is that it's a bit heavy, at least mine is because I run a no-motor-limit ESC, metal gear servo, and a massive battery but even after swapping out nearly all of the hardware for titanium or aluminum it's still 15-20g overweight with a light body. I guess that's the price I pay to have a 7200mah battery.
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 01:18 PM   #1374
Tech Master

Can someone please remind me of how to work the "ignore" function?

USVTA member #111
Old 09-25-2014, 06:27 PM   #1375
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Just broke down and purchased a DC4 LE chassis kit Now I have to go dust of the TC4
Picked up kit #50 BTW
JDM_DOHC_SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:02 PM   #1376
Tech Master

I like mine, but I'm looking for an easy and/or inexpensive way to replace the motor mount with the stock cam motor mount.

USVTA member #111
Old 10-05-2014, 10:04 AM   #1377
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

If you search through the onroad TC4 thread, there was someone who used the tub chassis TC4 motor mount on their FT TC4 chassis. I don't recall if they did this because the Associated FT TC4 mount wasn't available or if they did it because it was easier to change gears. I will try to find the post/picture.

----------

Edit: Found the post - http://www.rctech.net/forum/11848106-post11234.html

Here is a link to the page in the thread if you want to read more discussion (Team Associated TC4)

RC Tech user Rojna modified his FT TC4 to use a tub chassis motor mount. He did it because it was easier to change gears. Below is the picture of his car. You can also see how he modified the upper deck for more chassis flex.

Last edited by IndyRC_Racer; 10-05-2014 at 10:19 AM.
IndyRC_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 12:02 PM   #1378
Tech Elite

I would have to argue that a 2.5mm, long-shaft, ball-end allen wrench would be cheaper and easier. Really, is this that hard? I bolted up a 58 tooth pinion without issue or headache.
Old 10-05-2014, 05:33 PM   #1379
Tech Champion

The AE motor mount and diggity design motor mount are perfect and light. No need for that backward Rojna mod at all ! Just get a longer screwdriver ok.... I use the AE wrench, but shaved the tip enough so it can fit behind the pinion gear...
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 09:26 PM   #1380
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I have raced both the FT TC4 and tub chassis TC4. The tub chassis motor mount is much easier to deal with if you are in a hurry, especially if you want to adjust timing. Yes I did have a 2.5mm tool with a ball end and it still was a pain to do anything with the motor.

The real challenge with the FT TC4/Diggity motor mount is when you have to remove/install a motor into the mount. I can't count how many times I dropped the motor screws when taking out/installing my motor. Trying to balance a screw on a tool as you have to move it through suspension isn't the best way to install anything.

The FT TC4/Diggity design isn't perfect or easy by any means. However it is a better solution than many modern belt drive cars if you are running large pinion gears.