R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road > Team and Company Discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-11-2007, 09:36 PM   #871
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Hawaii, USA
Posts: 7,177
Default

Hey guys I need some ideas...I'm out in Seattle on business and I've been fortunate enough to get some time running at SIR. My car is setup for our outdoor asphault track which is fairly high bite but I'm about a second off the pace here at SIR, an indoor carpet track. SIR has a bit more bite and a lot less tire wear then I am used to but it is also a lot more bumpy in key areas. Traction is good enough to where I can run full compound on both front and back tires and have it handling pretty well. Right now I am running:

Full caster
1.5 deg camber
0 toe
.22 front springs
stock center spring
blue side springs on outside hole
35wt center shock oil
5000wt damper tubes oil
4mm ride height all around
Purple front tires
Magenta rear tires

Now I'm traveling for work so there's only so much I could bring with me, I'm pretty much limited to spring changes so I am thinking on going to the .20 front springs to make it more forgiving on the bumps and maybe the white side springs. I'm not looking to have track record busting laps but would like to get a little closer to the average at least. Anyway do you guys think I'm at least heading in the right direction with these ideas?
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 09:23 AM   #872
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Hawaii, USA
Posts: 7,177
Default

I forgot to mention I did pick up a 4200mah pack and it is a good thing I brought my fiberglass battery bracket that I made. My 4200mah pack is the same size as my 3800mah packs so without the bracket the cells would have been sliding a lot. I'm thinking if I rebuilt the packs using the thick plastic insulators on the positive end would bring the pack to the right length to fit without sliding.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 07:55 AM   #873
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 82
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Hi, I am having a problem installing my servo in my MX2. The servo is a JR 3550, the problem is that the servo mounts cant go wide enough to except the servo. I can also not shoe glue the the servo to the chassis as the servo saver is to tall. I have seen a nother local racers MX2 with servo installed, they shoe glued it in place put a hole had to be cut in the chassis to accomplish this, I would prefer not to do this. If it matters the JR 3550 servo will be replaced in a couple weeks with JR 3650. Any help would be appreciated.
SMOKESHOW86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 11:29 AM   #874
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Hawaii, USA
Posts: 7,177
Default

If you can find a piece of kydex you should be able to cut it to the same dimensions as your servo. Shoe Goo the kydex to the servo then to the chassis. That should space it up high enough for a standard small kimbro servo saver to clear the chassis.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 12:00 PM   #875
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 82
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

What is Kydex?
SMOKESHOW86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 01:12 PM   #876
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Hawaii, USA
Posts: 7,177
Default

It's a black plastic that used to be used extensively as a bumper
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 02:13 PM   #877
Tech Rookie
 
carpet racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: any carpet track, U.S.A
Posts: 3
Default

Anyone know how I can get in touch with someone from Darkside Motorsports?
__________________
Coming soon..the best site for 12th scale carpet racing!!! www.carpetracer.com
carpet racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 03:20 PM   #878
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Hawaii, USA
Posts: 7,177
Default

They often reply here in the thread or you could try the e-mail address from their website.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 08:53 PM   #879
Tech Regular
 
RC_Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Ft. Collins, CO
Posts: 478
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to RC_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to RC_Dan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpet racer View Post
Anyone know how I can get in touch with someone from Darkside Motorsports?
Eric usually checks this pretty often, but I can pass a message along as I will be seeing him within the next few days.
__________________
AE TC6 B4 & 18T, Kyosho Lazer ZX-5
CRC Gen XL & Battle Axe, Hot Bodies Ve8
460whp CRX on E85
RC_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 09:02 PM   #880
Tech Regular
 
RC_Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Ft. Collins, CO
Posts: 478
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to RC_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to RC_Dan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
Hey guys I need some ideas...I'm out in Seattle on business and I've been fortunate enough to get some time running at SIR. My car is setup for our outdoor asphault track which is fairly high bite but I'm about a second off the pace here at SIR, an indoor carpet track. SIR has a bit more bite and a lot less tire wear then I am used to but it is also a lot more bumpy in key areas. Traction is good enough to where I can run full compound on both front and back tires and have it handling pretty well. Right now I am running:

Full caster
1.5 deg camber
0 toe
.22 front springs
stock center spring
blue side springs on outside hole
35wt center shock oil
5000wt damper tubes oil
4mm ride height all around
Purple front tires
Magenta rear tires

Now I'm traveling for work so there's only so much I could bring with me, I'm pretty much limited to spring changes so I am thinking on going to the .20 front springs to make it more forgiving on the bumps and maybe the white side springs. I'm not looking to have track record busting laps but would like to get a little closer to the average at least. Anyway do you guys think I'm at least heading in the right direction with these ideas?
Not sure how big the track is, but here is my basic set up for 19t:
5 deg caster blocks
1.5 deg camber
1 deg toe out
.20 front springs
Silver center spring
White side springs on outside hole, just touching rear pod at rest
30wt center shock oil
4000wt damper tubes oil
3.5mm ride height all around
Black front tires, Jack the Gripper on inside 1/2
White rear tires, Jack the Gripper on all

I have also had luck with same setup, but:
Purple front tires, Jack on 3/4
Grey rear tires, Jack on all

Hope that helps some
__________________
AE TC6 B4 & 18T, Kyosho Lazer ZX-5
CRC Gen XL & Battle Axe, Hot Bodies Ve8
460whp CRX on E85
RC_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 09:40 PM   #881
Tech Master
 
alana07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: There
Posts: 1,814
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to alana07
Default

hi fellow MX2ers,
how does mounting the side springs affect the car's handling, say moving from outside hole to the inside hole? this is for outdoor asphalt track use. thanks.
__________________
没有最好,只有更好!!!
alana07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 09:45 AM   #882
Tech Elite
 
mtveten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,664
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default SIR setup

InspGadgt,

It sounds like like tires are your main problem, if you have to run full front compound you are running the wrong foam.

At Sir I usually run 2x pink front & rear with anywhere from 25-50% front sauce depending on tire size and grip level. I am running a crc car so I can't help with chassis setup but I would think going to .020 front springs would also help.

If your still in town Sunday I will be at the track with a pit box full of foams & tuning parts we can try to get it up to pace.

Mark
mtveten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 09:46 AM   #883
Tech Elite
 
mtveten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,664
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alana07 View Post
hi fellow MX2ers,
how does mounting the side springs affect the car's handling, say moving from outside hole to the inside hole? this is for outdoor asphalt track use. thanks.
Moving the tweak springs further out from the center pivot lessens the leverage and will yield a firmer setting for a given spring.

Mark
mtveten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 12:02 PM   #884
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Colorado, Above The Rest
Posts: 992
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpet racer View Post
Anyone know how I can get in touch with someone from Darkside Motorsports?

Feel free to contact me at eric@darksidems.com with any questions you may have

Thanks

-Eric
__________________
Team BSR
Team Power Push
Protoform Race Bodies
KSKT Racing - #1 in SK Racing Chassis
Darkside Motorsports - "WE ARE WHAT'S NEXT." - www.darksidems.com
THE DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 12:05 PM   #885
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Colorado, Above The Rest
Posts: 992
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtveten View Post
Moving the tweak springs further out from the center pivot lessens the leverage and will yield a firmer setting for a given spring.

Mark
Yep that's correct, thanks for the input!

-E
__________________
Team BSR
Team Power Push
Protoform Race Bodies
KSKT Racing - #1 in SK Racing Chassis
Darkside Motorsports - "WE ARE WHAT'S NEXT." - www.darksidems.com
THE DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mafia Motorsports "Carbon Fiber" Pitboard and Motor stand Steve Bahnatka R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 10 10-15-2007 06:03 PM
The "DarkSide" enters nitro tourers! TomB Australian Racing 26 12-24-2006 06:06 PM
"""NEW""" Collari .21 3 port buggy motor lc21-b3 goneRVing R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 7 12-20-2006 05:25 PM
""" XRAY FK05 """ excellent cond/super clean/stock evostyle R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 9 06-29-2006 09:04 PM
5 BRAND NEW - 3700 MAH EXPRESS MOTORSPORTS "TEAM" PACKS SweetRacing R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 17 05-08-2006 03:12 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:50 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net