Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > Company/Manufacturer Forums > SMC (Superior Matching Concepts)
Oh #%@!! What did I do to my SMC Lipos? >

Oh #%@!! What did I do to my SMC Lipos?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oh #%@!! What did I do to my SMC Lipos?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 11:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Oh #%@!! What did I do to my SMC Lipos?

Ok, I think I just seriously bit the weenie on this one. I just finally got done upgrade my Savage Flux with a new Spektrum DX 2.0 with some Proline Badlands and Velocity dish wheels. I programmed the DX 2.0 as per the usually HPI way and made sure the EPA's were at 125% and the throttle and steering where as even as possible without using trim. I kept the gearing stock at 20/44.

I"m using SMC Sport Max 6000mAh 28C hardcased batteries which have been awesome batteries up until this point. I've been using a Triton 2EQ with balancer at each and every charge and iv'e had the LVC set from 3.0v to 3.2v using the Castle link.

Today was my first day running the new truck and I kept it simple and was just running it in average grass height at a variety of speeds testing out the new tires and rebuilt shocks. I kept checking the temps and I didn't feel the motor, ESC or batteries were getting dangerously hot.
It was working good for around 15 or so minutes when I noticed it started to loose power pretty quickly, more then it used to.

So I shut it down and brought it inside and I about had a cardiac arrest when I took out the batteries that were very warm to the touch and had damn nearly puffed out of the hard pack casings!!

I immediatly put them outside to cool off and hopefully not explode, so I haven't taken a voltage reading on the charger but the LVC was set at 3.1v and it didn't kick in at any point, I just noticed a loss in power sooner then I expected.

Anyone please give me incite or suggestions on what the hell went wrong here? I'm pissed that just ruined $190 worth of batteries and I don't know how or why!

EDIT: Added photo of voltage test results for both Lipos

Last edited by Freezebyte; 07-19-2009 at 04:43 PM.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:52 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

bump for a concerned customer!!!
Old 07-19-2009, 12:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I didnt want to double post, from the off road thread but I will share the photos from this past week.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

O.o how much contineous amps can ur ESC produce ?
How much does it do max ?
AND whats the motor ?
Old 07-19-2009, 04:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Truth be told... I would say those packs are done for..
They will continue to work, as you've noticed, they're still alive. but when a Lipo has puffed liked that it means they've been 'stressed'. You could continue to run them, but they may go up without warning and you could be up for a completely new car, motor, esc etc etc..

EDIT: btw.. I set my LVC to 3.2v (Auto), but I rarely run to LVC. I usually stop when I notice a decrease in perfomance.

Last edited by littlejohn; 07-19-2009 at 05:39 PM.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

If you really want details, here are some photos of the grassy area I was driving on when this occured. Sure as hell don't look like it would cause my batteries to fry like that but then again, anythings possible at this point I guess.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:57 PM
Tech Rookie

Angry Strange, I have the same problem

Same batteries, same problem BUT in my case they were in my boat (SuperVee 27). The ESC is rated for 45A so way below the maximum Amp the batteries can give (168A). They were like those in top of thread (not allowed to post pics right now) after a 7min run. ESC was at 88°F, motor at 102°F and batteries around 100°F (the temp gun is not calibrated for this). I have around 10 runs with this boat and may be 20 runs on my Flux, something like 30 runs max on those packs. After 1 hour cooling, they went back to normal (deflated) and reading was around 7.7v. I tried to charge them (very carefully in a lipo sack) and was able to pump 4500mAh. But now I'm not sure if I want to put them back in my vehicle.
There is something very wrong with those cells. I will ask SMC about that.

Last edited by e-JP; 07-19-2009 at 08:01 PM. Reason: corrections
Old 07-20-2009, 09:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I ran these same batteries in my losi 8T-e with a mamba monster steup(same as flux) and never had a problem... I think mamba sayts the motor/esc can pul 180 continous amps???

Ive read alot of places the flux's are gear to the moon out of the box and can fry esc/motors etc... try buying a larger spur gear or a smaller pinion gear

oh btw i would contact SMC

http://www.smc-racing.com/contact.html

Alex
Old 07-20-2009, 05:57 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hound_dogs_01
I ran these same batteries in my losi 8T-e with a mamba monster steup(same as flux) and never had a problem... I think mamba sayts the motor/esc can pul 180 continous amps???

Ive read alot of places the flux's are gear to the moon out of the box and can fry esc/motors etc... try buying a larger spur gear or a smaller pinion gear

oh btw i would contact SMC

http://www.smc-racing.com/contact.html

Alex
I don't know where you get your info but lets get this straight ok?

1. The MMM is rated to 120amps continuous not 180. That is LESS than the Traxxas VXL ESC which is rated to 200 amps.
2. The Savage Flux is NOT geared to the moon out of the box, if anything it's a tad undergeared and can demonstrate the "hot motor, cool lipo, cool esc" telltale signs if run on tyres any smaller than stock. Also an undergeared truck would usually stutter on takeoff struggling for amp draw, not be able to do standing backflips!

And further to this, isn't it curious that SMC has yet to respond to this? Are they aspiring to be the next Maxamps?

To me it seems like dodgey packs, a quick glance through this forum shows that SMC packs seem to be a bit puff happy.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nexxus
I don't know where you get your info but lets get this straight ok?

1. The MMM is rated to 120amps continuous not 180. That is LESS than the Traxxas VXL ESC which is rated to 200 amps.
2. The Savage Flux is NOT geared to the moon out of the box, if anything it's a tad undergeared and can demonstrate the "hot motor, cool lipo, cool esc" telltale signs if run on tyres any smaller than stock. Also an undergeared truck would usually stutter on takeoff struggling for amp draw, not be able to do standing backflips!

And further to this, isn't it curious that SMC has yet to respond to this? Are they aspiring to be the next Maxamps?

To me it seems like dodgey packs, a quick glance through this forum shows that SMC packs seem to be a bit puff happy.

Notice how i said I think 180....

And look in ANY flux forum and everyone says theyre over geared out of the box...

Alex
Old 07-20-2009, 06:40 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by hound_dogs_01
Notice how i said I think 180....

And look in ANY flux forum and everyone says theyre over geared out of the box...

Alex

first I have heard, perhaps you can back it up with some links.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Danny is on vacation up in Canada. If you have any issues call SMC direct and talk to Brian.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by myrxseven
Danny is on vacation up in Canada. If you have any issues call SMC direct and talk to Brian.
I tried to call but no answer, so i've sent an email with the information. This just sucks period, im gonna be going without driving my Flux for another couple of weeks......
Old 07-20-2009, 07:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Since they both puffed during the same run, I highly doubt it was due to faulty packs. Sounds and looks like the batteries either got to hot and puffed or ran down to low.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:30 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I disagree simply because I doubt there are many people who are more cautious with Lipos than Freezebyte judging by his posts on forums we both frequent from the day he got the Savage Flux.

I hope SMC can look after you on this one mate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.