Community
Wiki Posts
Search

smc 5200 24c brand new bad battery?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 08:26 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default smc 5200 24c brand new bad battery?

I just purchased a new 5200 24c lighting battery pack friday this is my 2nd one. and it is great so far. went to use it Sat night for the first time in my third heat race for my slash. and on about the 2nd lap My car just stopped
got it off the track and nothing esc it would not turn back on so that race was done. recharged my old one put it back in the car ran the main no problem. today went to look at that battery since i did not have time last night with racing and all. connected it to my charger and it kept giving me a broken connection error message. so my question is what do i do with this battery. go back to my lhs where purchased or return it to smc? I can not afford to have a 100.00 brick laying around that is only three days old.
Just a note i set the batterys side by side and noticed the new one does not
have clear tubing on the power wires going in to the battery like my other one does.
Thanks
James
Old 06-15-2009, 03:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitroracerx65
I just purchased a new 5200 24c lighting battery pack friday this is my 2nd one. and it is great so far. went to use it Sat night for the first time in my third heat race for my slash. and on about the 2nd lap My car just stopped
got it off the track and nothing esc it would not turn back on so that race was done. recharged my old one put it back in the car ran the main no problem. today went to look at that battery since i did not have time last night with racing and all. connected it to my charger and it kept giving me a broken connection error message. so my question is what do i do with this battery. go back to my lhs where purchased or return it to smc? I can not afford to have a 100.00 brick laying around that is only three days old.
Just a note i set the batterys side by side and noticed the new one does not
have clear tubing on the power wires going in to the battery like my other one does.
Thanks
James
I just purchased the same pack new. Ran it in a Novak GTB-SS, charged with a cell-pro 4s and after a day of normal running (not hot), I can only "Safety Charge". Stuck figuring out what went wrong and what to do in the future.

Last edited by BobWoodhouse; 06-15-2009 at 03:50 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:03 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you have an issue with one of our products you should contact us as when you guys post new message on these boards we don't always see there is a new message.

I suspect a cold solder joint on the pack that suddenly stopped.

I don't understand what you mean by Safety Charge ? Does the pack register normal voltage and do both cells have the same voltage while charging ?

Is your speed controls Lipo cutoff activated ?
Old 06-15-2009, 04:26 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Thanks

Thanks Danny i talked to Bryan today on the phone i am sending it to you guys ups tommrow with a copy of the recipt and my ph#.

Thanks for standing behind your products

James
Old 06-15-2009, 05:06 PM
Tech Elite

OK. I sent an email.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:22 PM
Tech Elite

Who would have guessed -- a ESC that defaults to LiPo cut-off DEACTIVATED. That probably did the trick. We'll try another pack.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

I just got this battery too and did four laps in my slash (fully charged) and then my power fell off. Almost like its only running at half throttle @ WOT I'm going to swap out the motor this weekend to make sure the motor is the issue or not.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default 5200 - 24C

For what it's worth, I recently purchased two of these packs. Each has been run 4 times and charged 5 times, balanced @1.5C (7.6A). I'm running a Novak Velocity 5.5R/GTB in my Custom Works Outlaw sprint car.I immediately noticed the performance improvement over the DTX 4600 NiMH packs I was running. There was no noticeable falloff after 6 to 7 or 8 minute runs. Charge times at the 1.5C were in the 20 to 25 minute range. I'm very pleased with the batteries so far.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:36 AM
Tech Initiate

Got a call back from smc They said the battery would discharge and charge on there equipment. I have no doubt is is a battery issue They told me the pack was fully charged when they received it. there has to be something loose in the battery and the bounceing around by ups got it to connect again.
as you can see from my first post. the first smc 5200 24c i purchased works fine i raced with it this past wed night in the same car with no problems. they are suppose to test it in a car this weekend and call me monday.so i will keep updating this post. till it it resolved.The last poster my be happy with them. But at this point i am not! Monday When I receive a Call could Change That.
On another Note You would Think That a SMC When Reciving A battery Back
That had Visual Quality Control Issues. The clear tubing that protects The Power wires going in to the pack missing. Would just send out another battery.
Just My thoughts
James
Old 06-22-2009, 10:01 AM
Tech Elite

Got a call back from smc They said the battery would discharge and charge on there equipment. I have no doubt is is a battery issue They told me the pack was fully charged when they received it. there has to be something loose in the battery and the bounceing around by ups got it to connect again.
as you can see from my first post. the first smc 5200 24c i purchased works fine i raced with it this past wed night in the same car with no problems. they are suppose to test it in a car this weekend and call me monday.so i will keep updating this post. till it it resolved.The last poster my be happy with them. But at this point i am not! Monday When I receive a Call could Change That.
On another Note You would Think That a SMC When Reciving A battery Back
That had Visual Quality Control Issues. The clear tubing that protects The Power wires going in to the pack missing. Would just send out another battery.
Just My thoughts
James
I did not know to expect the clear tubing as these are the first SMCs I have seen
Old 06-22-2009, 10:26 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by BobWoodhouse
Who would have guessed -- a ESC that defaults to LiPo cut-off DEACTIVATED. That probably did the trick. We'll try another pack.

When running Lipos you should stop immediately once you notice a drop in power. I have personally ran packs with no cutoff but I stop as soon as I feel the power drop. The odeal situation is to have a good lipo cutoff and stop once it kicks in.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:29 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by INTRIGUED
I just got this battery too and did four laps in my slash (fully charged) and then my power fell off. Almost like its only running at half throttle @ WOT I'm going to swap out the motor this weekend to make sure the motor is the issue or not.

Once you try another motor and if it does the same please measure the voltage of the pack as soon you fell the drop.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:32 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by BobWoodhouse
I did not know to expect the clear tubing as these are the first SMCs I have seen
The clear tubing is an extra feature that our supplier uses but it's not a must. I can only assume that if they run out of tubing they will send us packs without it.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:10 AM
Tech Initiate

Spoke with smc today They Have went far and above. what it takes as far as customer service go. I am Saying This because this is a first rate company.
With top of the line products if used correct and cared for. Thanks for the quality products you provide to the rc community. If you are looking for Hobby grade rc batterys these are the guys. Thank you Danny and company

James T.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Spoke with smc today They Have went far and above. what it takes as far as customer service go. I am Saying This because this is a first rate company.
With top of the line products if used correct and cared for. Thanks for the quality products you provide to the rc community. If you are looking for Hobby grade rc batterys these are the guys. Thank you Danny and company

James T.
I am in the market for new lipo batteries, and it is great to hear of a company that stands behind their products and takes care of their previous customers...especially when issues arise.

Just because if this message, my next lipo packs will be SMC batteries!